WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

In the movie there are quite a few nods to the Springsteen superfan experience

The rush to be first to secure tickets is just one example

I'm sure Sarfraz would have loved to have used more obscure Bruce songs in the movie like Something in the Night or Jackson Cage which would have fitted in great with the movie but would have been less commercially saleable

• Like 2

at the end of the news tonight was a very quick trailer and dated 22 august 

i got a litrle over excitted 

the add did seem super shirt though

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I'm not going to see this

no way 'am i going to the pictures on me todd :D

Give me a shout and I'll go with you!

We'd get chucked out. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That's great Daisey! I was getting a little bit worried it wouldn't be shown in NZ.

• Thanks 1

We got a taxi from the airport to Red Bank - yes, loads of money but the hotel had been paid for by an anonymous, wonderful Laker, and my partner had won the air fare cost at work - and I was SOOOOO excited when I saw and passed through the Jersey Turnpike!

The driver couldn't believe I'd get excited about that - I wasn't as cheerful on the way back when I was leaving. Same driver.

I loved those clips in the film, places most of us visit if we're lucky enough to go. The awe of standing outside, and inside, the Stone Pony and Wonder Bar … all the other 'iconic' places to a Springsteen fan. Of course, the people I met topped all that but oh, first sights of those places.

I'm hoping that, when Kate sees that bit, she'll decide she must go - she visited NY recently but couldn't spare the time as she had her mates with her.

That was the best bit of the film, for me.

• Bruuuuce! 2

3 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

We got a taxi from the airport to Red Bank - yes, loads of money but the hotel had been paid for by an anonymous, wonderful Laker, and my partner had won the air fare cost at work - and I was SOOOOO excited when I saw and passed through the Jersey Turnpike!

The driver couldn't believe I'd get excited about that - I wasn't as cheerful on the way back when I was leaving. Same driver.

I loved those clips in the film, places most of us visit if we're lucky enough to go. The awe of standing outside, and inside, the Stone Pony and Wonder Bar … all the other 'iconic' places to a Springsteen fan. Of course, the people I met topped all that but oh, first sights of those places.

I'm hoping that, when Kate sees that bit, she'll decide she must go - she visited NY recently but couldn't spare the time as she had her mates with her.

That was the best bit of the film, for me.

Ah, so Kate hasn't seen it yet? Me and her both :lol:

20 minutes ago, jukeblue said:

In the movie there are quite a few nods to the Springsteen superfan experience

The rush to be first to secure tickets is just one example

I'm sure Sarfraz would have loved to have used more obscure Bruce songs in the movie like Something in the Night or Jackson Cage which would have fitted in great with the movie but would have been less commercially saleable

something in the night would be awsome 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Ah, so Kate hasn't seen it yet? Me and her both :lol:

I think she was hoping I'd go to see it (and pay) with her yesterday … prices were too high in that particular cinema.  I was in the Toon anyway and times were better. Plan B was for us all to go on Sunday when Suzanne is off … so they can go together.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Well, unless I suddenly see the light (or Roy) I think I'll wait to see it on TV.

And do you know the best thing about the film, even more so than 'the trip'?

It waves. I had a guffaw at that bit.

• Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

25 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Well, unless I suddenly see the light (or Roy) I think I'll wait to see it on TV.

You could always hop on a train and join Tie and me...

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

As ever Rachel, I just love your enthusiasm. That was a really good review of why this film is so special because Javid is us in some small way. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I'm not going to see this

no way 'am i going to the pictures on me todd :D

You are not serious, are you, Roy?  :unsure:

I don't often go to the cinema, but if there's something I really want to see and nobody else is keen, I think nothing of going by myself. 
Nobody pays any attention, and if they did, so what? 
The only downside is that you've got nobody to chat to about it immediately afterwards, but in this case we can do that here. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Have you and Bor ris set up a tent outside the cinema yet

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Have you and Bor ris set up a tent outside the cinema yet

Borris has her super shirt ready!

05a545b4a4c1af3d3c6df4cddb606b5c.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

There's a bit in the Trailer where he arrives in America for the first time and is met by a friendly, amiable Immigration Officer.

That is as unrealistic as it is possible to get!

I have always had nice Immigration Officers on arrival, on leaving completely different, still haven't forgiven them for taking my jar of jam.:angry:

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Give me a shout and I'll go with you!

We'd get chucked out. :D

You could even make the national news.:lol:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jmw said:

I have always had nice Immigration Officers on arrival, on leaving completely different, still haven't forgiven them for taking my jar of jam.:angry:

They took your jar of jam?  I know there’s rules about certain food products, but jam?!?  Sheesh!  

13 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

They took your jar of jam?  I know there’s rules about certain food products, but jam?!?  Sheesh!  

Yes it was in my case to take on the plane, the really annoying thing was I wanted to put the case in the hold, but it was going to cost a lot so, I didn't do it, and because the plane was so full they were asking for people to put carry on luggage in the hold, which I ended up doing. He was really horrible, it was the first thing I bought when I went to Wal-Mart.:angry:

• Sad 1

Just got back from a lunchtime showing in Sheffield 

I laughed and cried and thought it was cheesy in places. I cringed at the racial aspects of the film which I forgot how bad it must have been back in the 80s when I was a teenager too

Went with hubby who isn't as obsessive as me but enjoys his music and we smiled at each other during the Asbury Park scenes as we were there last year

All in all really enjoyed it but don't feel like I need to see it again.  I will read the book though as I haven't yet

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jmw said:

Yes it was in my case to take on the plane, the really annoying thing was I wanted to put the case in the hold, but it was going to cost a lot so, I didn't do it, and because the plane was so full they were asking for people to put carry on luggage in the hold, which I ended up doing. He was really horrible, it was the first thing I bought when I went to Wal-Mart.:angry:

I’m sorry he took it, and sorry he was so miserable.  I’m even sorrier to hear you shopped at Walmart!  Not a fan of how the owner treats his employees. 

Anyway... back to the topic at hand.  Going Monday and I cannot wait!!!! 

We saw it in Sheffield this afternoon. Small screen and not completely full. I was concerned it would be a bit cheesy and cliched, and it was in places. The Born to Run-meets-Kids from Fame bit especially. But it was so joyous and big-hearted that it just made me smile. I’m the same age as Javed in the film (and presumably Sarfraz?) so I enjoyed the 1980s nostalgia and fashions. And I had difficulty convincing my friends back then of the magic of Bruce too. Quoting lyrics at them really didn’t work for me though. Funny to hear Bruce’s lyrics quoted in a Luton accent!

I thought the songs fitted well with the story (or is it vice versa?). Hearing lyrics that are so familiar afresh in a different context actually made me listen to them “properly” again, if that makes any sense, and re-appreciate their universality. And as others have said, the use of Jungleland in one key scene worked really well. (With a nice dig at Thatcher in the background too). I was a bit ambivalent about going to see it, but glad I did. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I’m sorry he took it, and sorry he was so miserable.  I’m even sorrier to hear you shopped at Walmart!  Not a fan of how the owner treats his employees. 

Anyway... back to the topic at hand.  Going Monday and I cannot wait!!!! 

My friend took me, also went to I can't spell it, begins with an S, much smaller and the bakery section was lovely. Jimmy James will know the name. 

Waiting for friend to confirm when we are going.