WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

Just survived my emotional ordeal watching Blinded by the Light at the Showcase in Liverpool.

The movie should carry a health warning to any Springsteen fan who has ever been emotionally absorbed by the uniquely inspiring poetry of Bruce's early song canon. Watching it projected after all these years onto the big summer blockbuster screen with its backdrop of this alienated and closeted Pakistani youth finding instance connection, solace and inspiration in lyrics that have been ingrained within the hearts and souls of the likes of us Bruce diehards for all those years becomes an hour long struggle to hold back the blubbing - and I have to say on more than a few occasions not a hugely successful struggle at that.

Clearly then, highly recommended for any true Bruce fan for the emotional rollercoater ride, albeit a second less emotionally racked watch will be required in order to make any considered judgement as to whether the film itself is actually any good. I suspect it is but I'll let you know after I watch it again in a more composed state with my daughter next week.

:D

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, rachelharms said:

So I saw the film last night and I honestly haven’t cried that much at a film for a long time! (Surprise, surprise!). It was one of the most heartfelt/relatable films I’ve ever seen and it was filmed so well. I actually thought how they portrayed the racism issues of the time and also the politics was incredibly powerful. Seeing those things made me feel like my heart was being ripped out of my chest, but at the same time, Javed discovering the power and inclusivity of Bruce made my heart so full. 

Two of my friends actually tagged along with me to my surprise. I think it’s because we all really loved Bend it Like Beckham growing up, so that drew them in. They said they liked it! One of my friends is the one who came to NJ and saw Bruce with me last year, and when the scene when they pull into Asbury Park train station happened, she looked at me and smiled and that’s when the sobbing fully started. My other friend probably has as much interest in Bruce Springsteen as I do in Justin Bieber and every time a song played she had to quietly ask me ‘is this Bruce?’ (Including the Pet Shop Boys) but her saying at the end she liked the film I’d say was a big success. I just hope that maybe now they kind of understand why I love Bruce so much, and I believe that this film is an excellent depiction of that. 

I think the best part of the film in a creative sense is the Jungleland saxophone solo scene. Probably one of the most moving things I’ve ever seen. That song makes me emotional in general, but the way it was used in the film was just beautiful. The Born To Run scene was also a massive highlight, and just reminded me of the sheer joy that that song brings to us. A true song of hope. 

Referring back to the part where they visited New Jersey and Asbury Park for the first time. Oh wow. That hit me like a 20 tonne train. It’s strange because there’s always scenes and characters you can relate to in films, but never quite this much. You never actually see something so real and relatable to you up on the screen. At least I hadn’t, until I saw that. It was like watching myself up there, and it just reminded me of the first time I ever visited Asbury Park and the sense of happiness and completion I got from being there, that I hadn’t really experienced before. Up on the screen it was a young Pakistani boy from Luton, but it was also me, and thousands of others who have made that trip. 

It did get me to thinking about how big a deal it is for us to go to Asbury Park. Maureen VZ said to me on Twitter that she laughs at how excited people are to go to Asbury now because when she grew up she didn’t even want to go.. which I get completely. Asbury Park is just another seashore town to most. But for me, as someone who lives in a town in England much like Javed that is so far removed from the ‘Springsteen universe’, going there is like entering a different world. I guess it stems from my fascination with America in general, and perhaps that’s a lot different for people who y’know.. actually grew up and live in America. Maybe I’m still young and naive, but to me America is still the Promised Land, despite everything going on politics wise. I guess this can be debated but Bruce is somewhat a culmination of that, so visiting the place that ‘made’ him is just the most incredible thing. Going on a trip there is always so special every single time, and this film has actually made me even more excited to be going there next month! I’ll stop now before I go too into why I love Asbury, but I really think that this film helped to show others, including my friends, why Asbury Park is such a special and important place. For that reason, I’m really grateful. 

My mum also really wants to see this film so I’ll be going again on either Tuesday/Wednesday, and I just know the tears will be there again!

Loved your post. Great stuff.

Only difference for me was the blubbing urge began with Dancing in the Dark!!

• Like 3

I also watched it in Liverpool today and left feeling a bit disappointed honestly. It wasn't the cliche'd plot, the deliberate 80s nostalgic fest or even the cheesy musical scenes that bothered me frankly. However, the so in-your-face approach that the film takes to show you how good and relatable the lyrics of Bruce's songs are just irked me. I particularly disliked it when the main characters would shout the lyrics out as dialogue when confronting someone. It did become too much adulation and fan obsession for me personally, and could have been handled in a much better way through a more subtle approach.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seebab said:

I particularly disliked it when the main characters would shout the lyrics out as dialogue when confronting someone.

No spoilers … but … the café?

I literally had my head in my hands at that bit. 

1 hour ago, albiedog said:

Just survived my emotional ordeal watching Blinded by the Light at the Showcase in Liverpool.

The movie should carry a health warning to any Springsteen fan who has ever been emotionally absorbed by the uniquely inspiring poetry of Bruce's early song canon. Watching it projected after all these years onto the big summer blockbuster screen with its backdrop of this alienated and closeted Pakistani youth finding instance connection, solace and inspiration in lyrics that have been ingrained within the hearts and souls of the likes of us Bruce diehards for all those years becomes an hour long struggle to hold back the blubbing - and I have to say on more than a few occasions not a hugely successful struggle at that.

Clearly then, highly recommended for any true Bruce fan for the emotional rollercoater ride, albeit a second less emotionally racked watch will be required in order to make any considered judgement as to whether the film itself is actually any good. I suspect it is but I'll let you know after I watch it again in a more composed state with my daughter next week.

Saw your post on Backstreets first and replied there...i could have written your words...i felt too emotionally involved to be able to be objective about it as a film as so much of it mirrors my own growing up (Indian family) and discovering the greatness of Springsteen's music aged 15 in 1988. So I probably also need to view it again. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

No spoilers … but … the café?

I literally had my head in my hands at that bit. 

I’m with you there. Cringe! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rachelharms said:

So I saw the film last night and I honestly haven’t cried that much at a film for a long time! (Surprise, surprise!). It was one of the most heartfelt/relatable films I’ve ever seen and it was filmed so well. I actually thought how they portrayed the racism issues of the time and also the politics was incredibly powerful. Seeing those things made me feel like my heart was being ripped out of my chest, but at the same time, Javed discovering the power and inclusivity of Bruce made my heart so full. 

Two of my friends actually tagged along with me to my surprise. I think it’s because we all really loved Bend it Like Beckham growing up, so that drew them in. They said they liked it! One of my friends is the one who came to NJ and saw Bruce with me last year, and when the scene when they pull into Asbury Park train station happened, she looked at me and smiled and that’s when the sobbing fully started. My other friend probably has as much interest in Bruce Springsteen as I do in Justin Bieber and every time a song played she had to quietly ask me ‘is this Bruce?’ (Including the Pet Shop Boys) but her saying at the end she liked the film I’d say was a big success. I just hope that maybe now they kind of understand why I love Bruce so much, and I believe that this film is an excellent depiction of that. 

I think the best part of the film in a creative sense is the Jungleland saxophone solo scene. Probably one of the most moving things I’ve ever seen. That song makes me emotional in general, but the way it was used in the film was just beautiful. The Born To Run scene was also a massive highlight, and just reminded me of the sheer joy that that song brings to us. A true song of hope. 

Referring back to the part where they visited New Jersey and Asbury Park for the first time. Oh wow. That hit me like a 20 tonne train. It’s strange because there’s always scenes and characters you can relate to in films, but never quite this much. You never actually see something so real and relatable to you up on the screen. At least I hadn’t, until I saw that. It was like watching myself up there, and it just reminded me of the first time I ever visited Asbury Park and the sense of happiness and completion I got from being there, that I hadn’t really experienced before. Up on the screen it was a young Pakistani boy from Luton, but it was also me, and thousands of others who have made that trip. 

It did get me to thinking about how big a deal it is for us to go to Asbury Park. Maureen VZ said to me on Twitter that she laughs at how excited people are to go to Asbury now because when she grew up she didn’t even want to go.. which I get completely. Asbury Park is just another seashore town to most. But for me, as someone who lives in a town in England much like Javed that is so far removed from the ‘Springsteen universe’, going there is like entering a different world. I guess it stems from my fascination with America in general, and perhaps that’s a lot different for people who y’know.. actually grew up and live in America. Maybe I’m still young and naive, but to me America is still the Promised Land, despite everything going on politics wise. I guess this can be debated but Bruce is somewhat a culmination of that, so visiting the place that ‘made’ him is just the most incredible thing. Going on a trip there is always so special every single time, and this film has actually made me even more excited to be going there next month! I’ll stop now before I go too into why I love Asbury, but I really think that this film helped to show others, including my friends, why Asbury Park is such a special and important place. For that reason, I’m really grateful. 

My mum also really wants to see this film so I’ll be going again on either Tuesday/Wednesday, and I just know the tears will be there again!

wow you don't want to sign up to the FC with that love for America (im only half joking)

you would be welcome 

really glad your friends enjoyed the film also 

• Like 1

@rachelharms i almost had a heart attach when i read your first line :o:lol:;)

12 hours ago, rachelharms said:

So I saw the film last night and I honestly haven’t cried

that much at a film for a long time! (Surprise, surprise!). It was one of the most heartfelt/relatable films I’ve ever seen and it was filmed so well. I actually thought how they portrayed the racism issues of the time and also the politics was incredibly powerful. Seeing those things made me feel like my heart was being ripped out of my chest, but at the same time, Javed discovering the power and inclusivity of Bruce made my heart so full. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, albiedog said:

I saw the film tonight and I just echo every word in your post. It was 100 times better than I thought it was going to be. A great  big screen tribute to Springsteen and the effect his songs have on people from all backgrounds the world over. Emotionally draining at parts, joyous in others, very funny in others, inspiring in others, Bruce's great songs so wonderfully utilised in telling Jahved's story. I went through the same Bruce conversion as Jahved except mine's was five years previous in 1982. I was surprised how well acted it was as well and I loved the 80's nostalgia...a decade I grew up in and loved by the way despite the bad things portrayed in the movie. The guy who played his father was excellent as was the main man playing Jahved. Other great bit parts were his mate Roops, his English teacher and the old guy neighbour. A wonderful movie which is very much needed at this time. Two hours just flew by and I will definately go see it again..

Nice cameo from Sarfraz during the Born to Run sequence as well...

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

14 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

There's a bit in the Trailer where he arrives in America for the first time and is met by a friendly, amiable Immigration Officer.

That is as unrealistic as it is possible to get!

Oddly both countries are nice to me when I am leaving,,,.:)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Seebab said:

I also watched it in Liverpool today and left feeling a bit disappointed honestly. It wasn't the cliche'd plot, the deliberate 80s nostalgic fest or even the cheesy musical scenes that bothered me frankly. However, the so in-your-face approach that the film takes to show you how good and relatable the lyrics of Bruce's songs are just irked me. I particularly disliked it when the main characters would shout the lyrics out as dialogue when confronting someone. It did become too much adulation and fan obsession for me personally, and could have been handled in a much better way through a more subtle approach.

Shame that you didn't enjoy it Seeb - as I know you're a huge Bruce admirer [Timbo here mate!]. But on the plus side at least you will have come out of the flicks without the banging headache I had after more than an hour of trying to hold back the sobs!!!

As it is, all the points in your critique are very likely valid when viewed from the perspective from which you approached it all. As for myself - once the opening lines of 'Dancing in the Dark' came pounding out, I was gone - simply helpless emotional putty in the director's and actors' hands! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Incident on 57th St said:

Saw your post on Backstreets first and replied there...i could have written your words...i felt too emotionally involved to be able to be objective about it as a film as so much of it mirrors my own growing up (Indian family) and discovering the greatness of Springsteen's music aged 15 in 1988. So I probably also need to view it again. 

Exactly how I was!

:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

:D love this 

I saw this on twitter and howled with laughter.  For anyone that has been lucky enough to get close to Bruce his facial expression so portrays how you feel inside!!

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Mostly getting the thumbs up from us lot! 

I liked the cafe scene, sure it's cheesy but I'd like to yell those words in the face of the bigots.

• Like 3

It's not cheesy.

It's awful.

It's not what is said - they would say that? - it's the way it's done.

The bloke behind me groaned and laughed his head off.

However, it's part of what makes it good to go and see … it's certainly interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

Mostly getting the thumbs up from us lot! 

I liked the cafe scene, sure it's cheesy but I'd like to yell those words in the face of the bigots.

One of my favourite  scenes from the film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

One of my favourite  scenes from the film.

And that's what I love about this place. :)

• Bruuuuce! 1

Major cringe fest at times but you’re dead inside if the film didn’t move you as a Bruce fan. 

• Like 1

I think what has to be taken into account is that it is essentially a teenage "coming of age" movie.

Some scenes than some may consider over cheesy etc are just how the world now looks to the guy in the film who has suddenly found the "key to the universe" to quote the great man. I was transported back in time. I just thought it was wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 8/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, whispered secret said:

As ever Rachel, I just love your enthusiasm. That was a really good review of why this film is so special because Javid is us in some small way. 

Thank you so much Ann! :) I definitely think it showed Bruce’s deep connection with his fans really well. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Got a thumbs up from a couple of friends this morning who are definitely not major Bruce fans. They both loved the period detail and the sense of fun.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2