WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

Daisey I know rob Brydon has appeared on upside down land tv both in supernova and Gavin and stacey

hayley Atwell has been in tons of things and I know that even aliens on mars have seen marvel movies so I’m pretty sure Peggy carter has been seen in nz

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Daisey I know rob Brydon has appeared on upside down land tv both in supernova and Gavin and stacey

hayley Atwell has been in tons of things and I know that even aliens on mars have seen marvel movies so I’m pretty sure Peggy carter has been seen in nz

ummmm

.....oh dear

who are Gavin and Stacey ? and what is supernova ? :lol:

im afraid i use all my pop culture credits up on Bruce Springsteen and the ESB 

:lol:

6 minutes ago, AMIW said:

i just googled Gavin and Stacey 

im afraid id need subtitles to watch that one :lol:

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

is it getting advertized  ?

Not really that much.  I’ve seen trailers on TV only twice.  The three I was with have seen none.  Some other Bruce fans I know had no clue until I told them.  Some as late as last week.  I’ve seen zero posters around my area.  Even tonight, there was no poster in the theatre.  

It seems most people who know, know because of social media, or FB groups like Spring-Nuts (there were a few in the theatre tonight), or Backstreets, or word of mouth.  

BTW DJ, give Dumplin’ another try.  It’s really a wonderful, heartwarming movie.  Well, I thought so anyway.  For the main character, Dolly is her ‘Bruce.’ 

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i just googled Gavin and Stacey 

im afraid id need subtitles to watch that one :lol:

Reallly the accents aren’t that strong I know Yankees who have watched it based on James Corden fame her in yankeeland and it wasn’t dubbed or subtitled

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

Interesting, that’s certainly not the case in London and the south east where there are posters plastered all over the transport system, on the sides of buses, on the underground and overground railway systems (and I don’t just mean in central London, I’ve seen posters at both High Wycombe and Sidcup stations in the last 10days). There have also been ads in the Evening Standard, London’s free high circulation evening newspaper and it’s a full page advert on the back of the Radio Times, another high circulation publication, no doubt other press sources also.

I do agree with another poster that a school holiday release probably isn’t the best time for it to come out, certainly in my smallish local multiplex, it’s got far less showings than the kids movies that are the main summer fodder.

It's even advertised on the side of a bus in Stratford-on-Avon...

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, AMIW said:

Reallly the accents aren’t that strong I know Yankees who have watched it based on James Corden fame her in yankeeland and it wasn’t dubbed or subtitled

Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn is the only good reason to watch G and S.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

Interesting, that’s certainly not the case in London and the south east where there are posters plastered all over the transport system, on the sides of buses, on the underground and overground railway systems (and I don’t just mean in central London, I’ve seen posters at both High Wycombe and Sidcup stations in the last 10days). There have also been ads in the Evening Standard, London’s free high circulation evening newspaper and it’s a full page advert on the back of the Radio Times, another high circulation publication, no doubt other press sources also.

I do agree with another poster that a school holiday release probably isn’t the best time for it to come out, certainly in my smallish local multiplex, it’s got far less showings than the kids movies that are the main summer fodder.

Agree, it's all over the buses here in London. Patti even posted a pic on her Instagram account when they were here for the horsey stuff. Seen quite a few TV ads as well. Reviews & articles on all media. It's on 2/3 screenings per day at my local cinema, competing with The Lion King & Angry Birds. Couple of friends/colleagues (with no prompting from me!) have seen it & loved it

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

It's doing well enough for what it is, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

It's doing well enough for what it is, isn't it?

a quirkly little English film about an ethnic minority teenager's journey accompanied by the music of an American legend 

....i won't know till i see it i guess

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

a quirkly little English film about an ethnic minority teenager's journey accompanied by the music of an American legend 

....i won't know till i see it i guess

I mean it's not a blockbuster where one would expect it to go through the roof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bettertohaveloved said:

I mean it's not a blockbuster where one would expect it to go through the roof.

my favourite movie is the english patient 

i don't see it eclipsing that

speaking of eclipse- i don't see it ecliping the Twilight saga :D:wub:

how did you find the non Bruce music ?

why did a movie about the influence of music by Bruce Springsteen have to have other music in it 

im not enjoying this thing called for you my love - it sounds like it belongs in a Disney animation 

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

how did you find the non Bruce music ?

why did a movie about the influence of music by Bruce Springsteen have to have other music in it 

The other music's what was about then - it's about 'that' time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bettertohaveloved said:

The other music's what was about then - it's about 'that' time.

Duran Duran must have been too expensive 

downloadfile-62.jpg

seriously i think this movie must be set after i turned my back on popular music and went out west

i have no recollection of those abominations belonging to the pet shop boys and a-ha but i instantly recognised their sound and all my heckles stod on end and my top lip curled back exposing a canine tooth 

Angry-cat-sound-and-body-language.jpg

• Like 1

It was appropriate (and good I thought) to have "other music of the time" - and that music did far more to place the film (in terms of "time/when") than ALL the Bruce music used - which was all older material (the most up to date was DITD from 1984) - indeed I was sort of surprised that they didn't work in the "new album" release in 1987 that was TOL (they worked in the fact that he was coming on tour in 1988). It's a pity that there wasn't "more" other music - even if only short soundbites (as often happens in movies - like The Boat That Rocks etc) - obviously must have been a budget issue as A-HA gets used twice!? 

I have booked my seats with my "Roops" now for tomorrow night - we are seeing it at our PictureHouse (Cinema City - Norwich) - so I will have seen it at the Odeon (free preview showing) and the Vue (with family Fri night) and now Picturehouse. Interested to see what the "sound" is like there as I felt that the Odeon showing was better than Vue - especially when Bruce's music was being used - seemed more dynamic / louder (around you) at the Odeon whereas at Vue it felt like it was just coming from the front!? Odeon was definitely more hairs standing up at points (although to be fair it was also the first viewing!).

Looking forward very much to my dear old friend (the guy who introduced me to Bruce) "seeing" this movie and enjoying it (again) "with" him. That will be it then until the DVD release. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Who are their target audience?  Lots of Bruce fans will attend, but beyond that?

The recent biopics of Dolly, Elton, Freddie,  and The Beatles have done very well but they have a much broader appeal than our hero.  So, BBTL seems very niche.  

Bend It Like Beckham was very successful, and you didn't need to be a football fan to enjoy it.  This should attract a similar audience.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Duran Duran must have been too expensive 

downloadfile-62.jpg

One of my friends in high school taught her baby sister to say, "I hate Duran Duran" (It came out, "Dran Dran"). I thought it was hilarious! :lol:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Actually, I've seen a lot of commercials about it on television.

That’s good to hear.  I’ve only seen two.  The people I’ve asked have seen none!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

seriously i think this movie must be set after i turned my back on popular music and went out west

i have no recollection of those abominations belonging to the pet shop boys and a-ha but i instantly recognised their sound and all my heckles stod on end and my top lip curled back exposing a canine tooth 

Angry-cat-sound-and-body-language.jpg

I've only just seen this.  a045.gif

You haven't even heard "It's A Sin" and you call it an abomination   e035.gif

It's a fantastic song about Catholic repression and guilt.  A classic.

(I like the kitten though)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BruceWho said:

It was appropriate (and good I thought) to have "other music of the time" - and that music did far more to place the film (in terms of "time/when") than ALL the Bruce music used - which was all older material (the most up to date was DITD from 1984) -

How the hell could the movie not have other music besides Bruce?  

My God. The 80s was rich as hell for music output, Bruce wasn't the only bloody singer on the planet.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rizla said:

You haven't even heard "It's A Sin" and you call it an abomination   e035.gif

Love it.  Looking forward to hearing it blast through the speakers at the cinema.  

• Love Love Love! 1

1 minute ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Love it.  Looking forward to hearing it blast through the speakers at the cinema.  

That was one of the things that made watching this movie great.  Hearing the songs blast in the theater.

• Like 2