WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

1 minute ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I've seen ads on tv quite a few times. This morning our  local news had a clip from ETalk (I think) with an interview with the lead.

I’m really glad to hear this!  

3 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I've seen ads on tv quite a few times. This morning our  local news had a clip from ETalk (I think) with an interview with the lead.

Actually, global news here showed Bruce showing up to the premiere strapped with his geeeetar.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Nope.  I waited thinking the same thing.  

Special footage was shown in Atlanta because Bruce loves us

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

This thread has been too long for my old brain, but have you heard their version of Bruce's Last to Die or have I asked you that already?  

Oh gawd, don't tell Daisey about that.  :lol:

41 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I remember It's A Sin being a huuuge hit in North America back in the day, I've heard it cranked out of a lot of speakers through the years, such a great tune.  Beats West End Girls, another mighty big hit, by some miles and miles.  Although, don't mind one that either really.  

Making a movie on anyone musician should never preclude other artists, wouldn't even make any bloody sense.  They don't exist in a vaccuum.  

I went to see them at the Royal Opera House, no less, and they opened with West End Girls.  I love it when a band has the confidence to open with one of their best-known songs, it means they have so many good ones that they don't need to save it for the end.

Unfortunately I didn't hear Neil sing It's A Sin as the audience (me included) drowned him out :lol:

5 hours ago, Rizla said:

I've only just seen this.  a045.gif

You haven't even heard "It's A Sin" and you call it an abomination   e035.gif

It's a fantastic song about Catholic repression and guilt.  A classic.

(I like the kitten though)

i never had older sibblings to influence me

i only knew what was on 'ready to roll' or solid gold on the telly

we only had 2 radio stations in Dunedin that played pop music

honestly one day in 1986 or there abouts i just turned 4XO off and started listening to the country station 

when my friend came home from Singapore after two years she was even more out of thw loup

she had discovered Mel and Kim

a song about Cathloic  repression and guilt was never going to be on my radar

2 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Pet Shop Boys are still at it! I'm sure they toured and played the O2 in London in recent years. BBC Radio 2 have an end of summer event every year now (making use of the stage that is set up each year in Hyde Park, London) with several artists all playing on the same bill (think they maybe call it their "festival in a day") - this Sept amongst others Status Quo and Simply Red are on the bill but their "headline act" are The Pet Shop Boys!  

well im glad all those guys are still going and keeping their fans happy

but when people go on and criticise the sound of the synth on DITD i more associate these other acts as the dated sounds from the 80s

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

Special footage was shown in Atlanta because Bruce loves us

what is this bonus footage?

3 hours ago, misty rain said:

Mine didn't show it either. :(

3 hours ago, whispered secret said:

What's the special content? Mine didn't show anything.

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Nope.  I waited thinking the same thing.  

I can't post it unfortunately.  But it was Gurinder and Sarfraz talking about Bruce, the movie, Asbury Park, etc.  Some of it I've seen already from other videos.  But they showed some of Asbury Park.  If I find another video of it anywhere, I'll post it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Oh yeah, I saw it on one of the morning news shows here too.

New York Daily News

While making the movie, Manzoor sent the script to Springsteen, who didn’t recommend a single change. Director Gurinder Chadha eventually showed Springsteen the film last summer, sitting behind the rocker as he watched.

“At the end of the movie, there was absolute silence," Chadha, 59, told The News. "He didn’t say anything. ... Just as I was going to get my tape, Bruce walked over to me and he put his arms around me and he gave me a big kiss and he said, ‘Wow, thank you for looking after me so beautifully.’”

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/ny-blinded-by-the-light-bruce-springsteen-20190811-4trfc7zo25dddohzkeecqcpxum-story.html

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

22 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I can't post it unfortunately.  But it was Gurinder and Sarfraz talking about Bruce, the movie, Asbury Park, etc.  Some of it I've seen already from other videos.  But they showed some of Asbury Park.  If I find another video of it anywhere, I'll post it. 

it will be on the dvd hopefully

37 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

thats the kind of review that makes me pretty sure I'll love it

and i loved Billy Elliot and love actually

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:24 PM, albiedog said:

Just survived my emotional ordeal watching Blinded by the Light at the Showcase in Liverpool.

The movie should carry a health warning to any Springsteen fan who has ever been emotionally absorbed by the uniquely inspiring poetry of Bruce's early song canon. Watching it projected after all these years onto the big summer blockbuster screen with its backdrop of this alienated and closeted Pakistani youth finding instance connection, solace and inspiration in lyrics that have been ingrained within the hearts and souls of the likes of us Bruce diehards for all those years becomes an hour long struggle to hold back the blubbing - and I have to say on more than a few occasions not a hugely successful struggle at that.

Clearly then, highly recommended for any true Bruce fan for the emotional rollercoaster ride, albeit a second less emotionally racked watch will be required in order to make any considered judgement as to whether the film itself is actually any good. I suspect it is but I'll let you know after I watch it again in a more composed state with my daughter next week.

:D

Reading all the Pet Shop Boys appreciation in some of the posts above, I think I most definitely am in need of a second viewing of the film.

My take on initial viewing was that the inclusion of the likes of the Pet Shop Boys, A-Ha and Tiffany music, was to lend emphasis to the dramatic impact of Bruce's rather more earnest and epic music on the protagonist - in sharp contrast to his comparative ambivalence to the synthesised sounds of the sort of music which did prevail in the UK in the mid '80's.

Or was that simply wishful consensual thinking on my behalf as I waited with baited breath for the drama of that initial cinematic audio delight from Bruce, whilst praying for an end to the other stuff? Guess I'll find out on Sunday when I go with my daughter.  :D

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

UCR review, but don't read it if you haven't seen the movie yet.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/blinded-by-the-light-movie-review/

One of the best / fairest / most accurate reviews I've read - cheers - not sure about the list of "the best song from each Springsteen album" after it though!?  (that subject could run and run and run on here!!? ha!)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, albiedog said:

Reading all the Pet Shop Boys appreciation in some of the posts above, I think I most definitely am in need of a second viewing of the film.

My take on initial viewing was that the inclusion of the likes of the Pet Shop Boys, A-Ha and Tiffany music, was to lend emphasis to the dramatic impact of Bruce's rather more earnest and epic music on the protagonist - in sharp contrast to his comparative ambivalence to the synthesised sounds of the sort of music which did prevail in the UK in the mid '80's.

Or was that simply wishful consensual thinking on my behalf as I waited with baited breath for the drama of that initial cinematic audio delight from Bruce, whilst praying for an end to the other stuff? Guess I'll find out on Sunday when I go with my daughter.  :D

Nah I don't think you are way off by any means - you make a fair and good point - those songs are there to first and foremost give the film it's setting as in "a moment in time", but I'm sure also to provide a quick reflection of what music was popular at that time (not many representations really, but the ones that there are were probably all number ones in the charts!) and I think you are spot on in that Bruce's music (or more to the point "lyrics") is all the more powerful and makes more of an impact on the character. I think they did a great job with both the (limited!?) music they used and that one scene where the main character is narrating as we look around the college canteen at all the different "groups" that were present and how he didn't fit in to ANY of them - but Roops and Bruce would be that blinding light and his salvation. I think the use of "other" music is two pronged and your prong is one of them, definitely!  

• Like 2

Spotted while waiting for the train, in the rain, at Peckham Rye. They’re everywhere!

3AAEB6B8-718D-4CDD-ABD3-3BEF96AB2462.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

22 minutes ago, Lesley said:

Spotted while waiting for the train, in the rain, at Peckham Rye. They’re everywhere!

3AAEB6B8-718D-4CDD-ABD3-3BEF96AB2462.jpeg

My oldest & dearest friend - my "Roops" as it was he who introduced me to Bruce by putting the vinyls of BTR and Darkness in my hands in 1978 urging me to "go listen" (we are going to see the movie together tonight, my third viewing his first) - sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that every time he sees it on the side of a double decker bus in Norwich city centre he just has to smile to himself as in his head he is thinking, "Bruce has finally made it to Norfolk" ha! 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Who pays for all these adverts? I've not known anything be so well-publicised. I got the impression it wasn't a big budget film.

28 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Who pays for all these adverts? I've not known anything be so well-publicised. I got the impression it wasn't a big budget film.

I'm guessing the distribution company (those that picked it up and backed it at the Sundance Film Festival) - the film by then was made / in the can (and is what the "budget" for "making" the film refers to).  That's my take on it!?

• Like 1

bloody hell Levin snd Hawara are both getting screenings 

they are small hellish little rural towns up the road and down the road from here - but too far away for me 

this is getting redicoulss