WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

I don't see any release dates for Slovenia, so I'll probably need to cross the border to Austria. It starts there next Thursday.

• Sad 2

I don't normally go to the cinema. I don't watch films on TV. I don't even watch films on planes.

That cinema needs fumigating - those damn flies kept getting in my eyes.

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

I don't see any release dates for Slovenia, so I'll probably need to cross the border to Austria. It starts there next Thursday.

Bruce needs to give your part of the world some love 

Austria might be close enough, but there is nothing to compair seeing him in your own country 

the movie might turn up in a festive if it doesn't get an immediate Slovenian release,

i must say im surprised how widespread the movie's release is for here in NZ

maybe because bend it like Beckham did so well here ? or because we got back on JLM's touring map

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

Film even showing in Iceland, Greenland and nz ... definitely should be in all euroland  countries

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AMIW said:

Film even showing in Iceland, Greenland and nz ... definitely should be in all euroland  countries

it looks like its delayed accross the ditch for our Australian friends ?

2 hours ago, MadamMarie said:

The line in there about Javeed’s peers saying Bruce’s glory days are over is priceless.  I wonder where the school DJ is now! ;) 

Well, they were correct when it comes to record sales.

57 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

;) 

I saw the movie last night and loved it! It was very cool to hear the songs we all grew up with (and still love) from such a different point of view. However, why the writers led the audience to believe that Springsteen's popularity faded in 1987 ("Someone our parents listened too") was not only misleading but an outright lie! Did they really need that dialogue to have this movie make sense? And then to say the "Wembley/88" show wasn't sold out - is simply ridiculous! 

In 1987/88; Springsteen was just getting off from releasing the biggest live album ever and then having a #1 record (TOL) that saw three top 20 hits! He was the most powerful man in Music and certainly the most respected. 

So, if you take the movie for what it is - it's fantastic! But I'm sorry that future generations (even now) won't be able to look back years from now and see what the times really were, musically speaking.

Brad

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

When this story takes place - he was the most respected and powerful man in the business, save for Michael Jackson or Madonna. But in Rock/Roll - there's no questioning it. This movie makes it sound like "Tom Joad" was released the previous day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

When this story takes place - he was the most respected and powerful man in the business, save for Michael Jackson or Madonna. But in Rock/Roll - there's no questioning it. This movie makes it sound like "Tom Joad" was released the previous day.

Maybe so, but don’t forget the main character is in high school. For myself and my friends this was certainly so, but I graduated from college in 1982; no idea what HS kids in Britain were listening to in the late 80s.  

18 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Maybe so, but don’t forget the main character is in high school. For myself and my friends this was certainly so, but I graduated from college in 1982; no idea what HS kids in Britain were listening to in the late 80s.  

Suzanne was listening to All About Eve, The Cult … and Bon Jovi in the mid-80s. Loads of stuff but none of those featured in the film.

Edit: Oh, and Bruce of course … but that was more my doing than hers. :)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Not Bruce, according to my friend who is in that age group.  He says Bruce was not regarded as cool.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

I saw the movie last night and loved it! It was very cool to hear the songs we all grew up with (and still love) from such a different point of view. However, why the writers led the audience to believe that Springsteen's popularity faded in 1987 ("Someone our parents listened too") was not only misleading but an outright lie! Did they really need that dialogue to have this movie make sense? And then to say the "Wembley/88" show wasn't sold out - is simply ridiculous! 

In 1987/88; Springsteen was just getting off from releasing the biggest live album ever and then having a #1 record (TOL) that saw three top 20 hits! He was the most powerful man in Music and certainly the most respected. 

So, if you take the movie for what it is - it's fantastic! But I'm sorry that future generations (even now) won't be able to look back years from now and see what the times really were, musically speaking.

Brad

I think from the point of view of a sixth form college student here in the UK at the time, Bruce would not have been particularly cool. I was a 'mature student' from 1987 to 1989 and I don't remember any of the younger people in the college at the time listening to Bruce. I don't think they actually said the concerts were not sold out, just that that particular branch of HMV hadn't sold any tickets. And, believe it or not, we really did go into a record shop to buy our tickets back then!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BruceHistory said:

Brad

Historically, Bruce's halo slipped during the TOL Tour, so it's appropriate that the film ended where it did.  I've not read Sarfraz's book (not a fan) but I'd be interested to know if his perspective changed with the 'scandals' of infidelity, the Batlan/Sutphin lawsuit and the allegations that Bruce Inc., abused labour laws and other serious things.  It's no coincidence that my own  hero worship disappeared at this time, too.

Bruce disappeared for four years following the end point of the movie and his album shifting potential disappeared with it, by his standards.  Since that point they have tried to sell records using various promotional tools and ideas that would have been anathema in days gone by,  simply to compete.  A freakin' bandana with a horse on, anyone? :wacko:

Fortunately, his live shows continued to be inspiring and brilliant in equal measure.

I went to high school in 89, and none of my school mates were ever listening or mentioning Bruce. He was considered past his prime, and a retired rock star.

I was the odd one and have learned not to talk about his music too much, in order to stay somewhat popular. 

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Not Bruce, according to my friend who is in that age group.  He says Bruce was not regarded as cool.  

That’s what I thought, and exactly what the movie was trying to portray.  

The big question, as to whether the movie is ultimately successful at the box office, is the percentage of TRUE, not necessarily fanatic, springsteen fans that actually go to the movie. Obviously, forget it about with attendance at "red state" theaters. He's a commie liberal, you name it, to the general populace of those states. I do feel it will pick up attendance as good word of mouth spreads. I hope it all turns out to have been worthwhile to everyone involved.

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Indeed. I’m in that age group (skipped an afternoon of school to go to the ToL gig at Villa Park) and Bruce definitely wasn’t cool. I only had one friend who liked him. The other fan I knew was another friends Dad!

What were kids listening to? Rick Astley, Pet Shop Boys, Madonna, Wet Wet Wet, U2, Whitney Houston,... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongTallSally said:

What were kids listening to? Rick Astley, Pet Shop Boys, Madonna, Wet Wet Wet, U2, Whitney Houston,... 

Thankfully, Suzanne wasn't. :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Tickets looked so much nicer back then

04 Sheffield Tic 1.jpg

05 Sheffield Tic 2.jpg

Mine weren’t that pretty! 

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Historically, Bruce's halo slipped during the TOL Tour, so it's appropriate that the film ended where it did.  I've not read Sarfraz's book (not a fan) but I'd be interested to know if his perspective changed with the 'scandals' of infidelity, the Batlan/Sutphin lawsuit and the allegations that Bruce Inc., abused labour laws and other serious things.  It's no coincidence that my own  hero worship disappeared at this time, too.

Bruce disappeared for four years following the end point of the movie and his album shifting potential disappeared with it, by his standards.  Since that point they have tried to sell records using various promotional tools and ideas that would have been anathema in days gone by,  simply to compete.  A freakin' bandana with a horse on, anyone? :wacko:

Fortunately, his live shows continued to be inspiring and brilliant in equal measure.

I don’t find any of this to be true of myself or any of my long time Bruce fan friends.  

While I always have felt sorry for Julianne, and certainly wasn’t happy to hear of his infidelity; I also know not only don’t I know the whole story, or exactly what happened and why, but it’s certainly none of my business.  

For as much as I love Bruce, for goodness sake, he’s human.  He makes mistakes and Fs up like we all do.  He’s the first to admit he’s far from perfect.  

I don’t know enough about the merits of that law suit to comment.  

As for the rest of your post, I can’t relate at all. I’ve looked forward to and loved each and every album.  

Since I especially LOVE WS, I also love the freaking bandana with the horse.  I think the cover is gorgeous and fits the album perfectly.  

So for me, there was never ever a gap in my adoration, admiration, excitement about an album, etc... from March of 1974 when I received Greetings as a gift, to this very day. 

I’m not trying to discount your perspective.  I’m sure there are many who agree with you.  Just saying there are others who feel quite differently. 

• Like 3

Saw the movie this evening and thoroughly  enjoyed it. There were only 4 of us in the cinema though. I was surprised it’s even showing here but not that it wasn’t full. Also don’t know how much advertising it’s getting here. 

Apart from it getting a smaller cinema and therefore not great sound, the songs were awesome on the big screen. 

Loved seeing Rob Bryson. As a fan himself, glad he was in this. 

Enjoyed it more than I expected. Great fun. Will definitely get the DVD or Blu Ray if it comes out. 

• Like 8