WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

 

For as much as I love Bruce, for goodness sake, he’s human.  He makes mistakes and Fs up like we all do.  He’s the first to admit he’s far from perfect.  

 

Moreover, can you imagine someone with a career as long as the hills who doesn't have any missteps?  His personal stuff, divorce, etc., is something many humans go through with at least one not coming out smelling very rosy, such as life.  People seem to have a great disdain for "hero worship" yet they're usually the first ones to tell the worshippers that Bruce puts his pants on one leg at a time like anyone else so why put him on a pedestal - point being mirrors can be nice.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the 80s, I had thankfully reached the stage where if I liked something, I didn't give a toss whether other people thought it was "cool" or not. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

it looks like its delayed accross the ditch for our Australian friends ?

Yeah, I don't know what the story is here. Any other Aussie Lakers know why this isn't out until October in our part of the world?

TBH, I'm more interested out of curiosity to see the film rather than having a burning need to see it, but still... be nice to have the option to do so at least.

This is pre internet 70 's / 80's stuff here, when new music and movies would often be released months after the northern hemisphere had enjoyed them. I thought we'd left that long behind in this digital global community 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

By the 80s, I had thankfully reached the stage where if I liked something, I didn't give a toss whether other people thought it was "cool" or not. 

Same.  Don't think it even entered my mind to care if others thought what I liked was cool.  

Still don't give a damn.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Yeah, I don't know what the story is here. Any other Aussie Lakers know why this isn't out until October in our part of the world?

TBH, I'm more interested out of curiosity to see the film rather than having a burning need to see it, but still... be nice to have the option to do so at least.

This is pre internet 70 's / 80's stuff here, when new music and movies would often be released months after the northern hemisphere had enjoyed them. I thought we'd left that long behind in this digital global community 

when i was a kid often if a movie wasn't a smash at the box office up north, it wouldn't even make it to Dunedin

as much as i miss the big old fashoned picture thraters, multiplexs were a great step forward 

but it doesn't make sence you have to wait so long for this movie :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been mentioned that releasing the film here during the school holidays may not have done it any favours, as it is up against all the childrens and family films.  I've no idea what the school calendar is down under, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more friends saw it on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it - neither of them Bruce fans, but they did say to me this morning that they now get what I have been boring them rigid with for years!! 

  • Like 8
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

It has been mentioned that releasing the film here during the school holidays may not have done it any favours, as it is up against all the childrens and family films.  I've no idea what the school calendar is down under, though?

they were about two weeks ago but i wounder if this is why it's delayed in Australia ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding all the 'Bruce not being regarded as cool' stuff a bit earlier on, as I recall, though I do stand to be corrected, there was very extensive hype and excitement in UK surrounding both the BITUSA album which spawned huge sales and many chart hits and even more so for the subsequent tour which saw huge crowds, especially Roundhey Park in Leeds which is where we went.

At the time the main popular music radio channels were full of his music and announcements regarding the concerts. The accompanying buzz meant there  was a considerable element of curiosity amongst folks with scant previous limited insight into Bruce and his music as to precisely who the guy was and more to the point whether he was as good as was being made out. I recall even some big name UK rock stars who publically expressed their intrigue as to what might be on offer, Pete Townshend, I think being one of them . 

The contrast with Tunnel of Love 3 years later was stark. Bruce was scarcely on any populist radar and the buyers for Tunnel of Love were I'm pretty sure limited to real Bruce devotees as were those who attended the concerts for the Tunnel of Love tour. This relatively lukewarm UK response was even more embedded by the time of Human Touch/Lucky Town albums and tour. Forinstance the HT/LT tour dates in London were limited to Wembley Arena as distinct from Wembley Stadium with limited interest and crowd numbers, almost certainly a reflection of the fact Bruce was no longer regarded as 'cool' or 'essential listening' amongst shall we say the less discerning the pop music masses as he had been just half a decade or so earlier.

Indeed, I seem to recall that by the time of the Tom Joad tour you could get tickets without too much trouble even for 2000 capacity theatre concerts. Imagine that!

:)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it on Friday. Viveik Kalra was endearing as Javed, and I did love Roops. I am glad I saw it, but I won’t see it again. Overall I thought it lacked coherence. 

Even though I was forewarned, the cringe factor was huge. I was unclear whether or not we were supposed to be laughing when Javed quoted Bruce. I don’t think I have ever seen my sister laugh so much, but it was a “WTF” sort of laughter. I actually think it could have been better if they had made the whole movie like that,  the way the mini series Blackpool did, with everyone bursting into song. or even if they had more of that during the second half. 

The dinner scene with Eliza’s parents was almost like Monty Python, basically a parody of a Tory family. My sister wondered if that was to counter the scenes with Javed”s family. Rob Brydon was also more of caricature than a character, but perhaps these portrayals of the Anglo/white English were meant to illustrate Javed’s sense of otherness. 

For those keeping track of attendance, three quarters of the seats were empty. 

Here is a scene from Blackpool so you can see what I mean. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, albiedog said:

Regarding all the 'Bruce not being regarded as cool' stuff a bit earlier on, as I recall, though I do stand to be corrected, there was very extensive hype and excitement in UK surrounding both the BITUSA album which spawned huge sales and many chart hits and even more so for the subsequent tour which saw huge crowds, especially Roundhey Park in Leeds which is where we went.

At the time the main popular music radio channels were full of his music and announcements regarding the concerts. The accompanying buzz meant there  was a considerable element of curiosity amongst folks with scant previous limited insight into Bruce and his music as to precisely who the guy was and more to the point whether he was as good as was being made out. I recall even some big name UK rock stars who publically expressed their intrigue as to what might be on offer, Pete Townshend, I think being one of them . 

The contrast with Tunnel of Love 3 years later was stark. Bruce was scarcely on any populist radar and the buyers for Tunnel of Love were I'm pretty sure limited to real Bruce devotees as were those who attended the concerts for the Tunnel of Love tour. This relatively lukewarm UK response was even more embedded by the time of Human Touch/Lucky Town albums and tour. Forinstance the HT/LT tour dates in London were limited to Wembley Arena as distinct from Wembley Stadium with limited interest and crowd numbers, almost certainly a reflection of the fact Bruce was no longer regarded as 'cool' or 'essential listening' amongst shall we say the less discerning the pop music masses as he had been just half a decade or so earlier.

Indeed, I seem to recall that by the time of the Tom Joad tour you could get tickets without too much trouble even for 2000 capacity theatre concerts. Imagine that!

:)

 

Very valid points. In terms of UK press, Bruce was mass popular in the mid 1980's which kinda put off a lot of the hip people. Recall Billy Bragg making disparaging comments about his mass popularity - you sure wouldn't hear that now although it was probably more of a piss take than anything. Bruce was definitely not cool enough for skool in the late 1980's and for much of the 1990's at least not in the UK. Sharlene Spitteri from the band Texas sums it up in a Q article I read she was quoted as saying "Bruce should play Born to Run and then feck off basically" And I think that was the feeling in the mid 1990's amongst those who think they know better - The Radio One and Oasis Britpop generation and those really into way too cool indie music and the Manchester scene from the 1980's and 1990's Joy Division etc...

Joe Strummer of the Clash stood out from the crowd with his famous quote about Bruce but aside from him he was severely under-appreciated in critical circles by those who think they know best.

That seemed to change late 1990's and into the 2000's it became cool to name check Bruce if you were an aspiring musician all of a sudden and papers like the Guardian began to take him seriously again. Radio 2 became cool as well in the 2000's which kinda says a lot. Alt Country, Folk, and Country music is now much more hip in the UK than it was in the 1980's/90's

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

. I was unclear whether or not we were supposed to be laughing when Javed quoted Bruce

We were laughing simply because we do the same exact thing (quote Bruce to each other often in everyday life) and pretty much always have.   

I’ve seen it twice now.  No cringing at all for me or any of the people with whom I went either time  (though you’re certainly not alone there!).  

Just laughter when we recognized ourselves, some tears here and there, joyous laughter/grinning from ear to ear at the ‘musical’ type scenes ...  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read through all 21 pages of this thread , so apologies if this has been covered already ,but just back in the house from watching the movie enjoyed it a lot , enjoyed the more grittier sections of the movie , and thought it would have been better if more of the movie have explored these themes 

But the real reason for my posting is did i see or did anybody catch a glimpse of the author Sarfraz Mansoor in the crowd scene at Luton town hall Sq during Born to Run 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Osirisluxor said:

I haven't read through all 21 pages of this thread , so apologies if this has been covered already ,but just back in the house from watching the movie enjoyed it a lot , enjoyed the more grittier sections of the movie , and thought it would have been better if more of the movie have explored these themes 

But the real reason for my posting is did i see or did anybody catch a glimpse of the author Sarfraz Mansoor in the crowd scene at Luton town hall Sq during Born to Run 

Yes, that's Safraz! Also Gurinder in the Athena shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whispered secret said:

Yes, that's Safraz! Also Gurinder in the Athena shop.

Missed Gurinder in the shop will look out when i next watch the movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just going to post that I have the whole theater to myself but a few scraglers have sauntered in.  Got my necessary and required feast and some tissues in case I need 'em.  Probably will.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the film at the cinema on Saturday night with my wife. I loved it and so did she. She understands my Bruce devotion much more now. 

Might make it a little easier for me to tell her I’m doing at least 5 shows on the next Bruce tour. :D

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back from seeing it. It was quite enjoyable. There were about a dozen people in the theater, a little more than the other matinees I've seen over the past few weeks. The last preview shown was for Western Stars.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jukeblue said:

Very valid points. In terms of UK press, Bruce was mass popular in the mid 1980's which kinda put off a lot of the hip people. Recall Billy Bragg making disparaging comments about his mass popularity - you sure wouldn't hear that now although it was probably more of a piss take than anything. Bruce was definitely not cool enough for skool in the late 1980's and for much of the 1990's at least not in the UK. Sharlene Spitteri from the band Texas sums it up in a Q article I read she was quoted as saying "Bruce should play Born to Run and then feck off basically" And I think that was the feeling in the mid 1990's amongst those who think they know better - The Radio One and Oasis Britpop generation and those really into way too cool indie music and the Manchester scene from the 1980's and 1990's Joy Division etc...

Joe Strummer of the Clash stood out from the crowd with his famous quote about Bruce but aside from him he was severely under-appreciated in critical circles by those who think they know best.

That seemed to change late 1990's and into the 2000's it became cool to name check Bruce if you were an aspiring musician all of a sudden and papers like the Guardian began to take him seriously again. Radio 2 became cool as well in the 2000's which kinda says a lot. Alt Country, Folk, and Country music is now much more hip in the UK than it was in the 1980's/90's

Yeah. Good post. Great insight. Jogged my memory regarding UK artist's like that and fans of UK artists like that in the late '80's through the '90's who were instinctively dismissive of Bruce without having the slightest fucking clue as to the actual quality of the music Bruce had laid down by then. I remember one particular workmate of that ilk [hi Mark :) ] who was completely gobsmacked when he came into the office one weekend I was working overtime. As often was the case when doing overtime back then I had my cassette player on pretty loud and just as he entered the room the live version of Racing in the Street was completing the final minute or so of its haunting closure to be then followed by opening tinkling beauty of Incident on 57th. Fair play to him he was suitably impressed, having very instantaneously learnt the error of his previous dismissiveness. A nice and lasting memory.

:D 

  • Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk 'bout looking in the mirror - when Javed and his pal go to Asbury and come out with the Boss' cones (will only ever use that term coz they did) and pose around the 10th Avenue sign I grinned so big and wide.  They both were fantastic.  

Was seriously worried at one point is was going far too into high school musical cringe territory but it pulled itself together.  

Echo what so many have said, loved the lyrics on the screen while he was processing them, adds a whole new depth to it.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and the music was fabulous, 80s stuff that I loved then and still love a lot of it now.  

I didn't see beforehand that Cutting Crew was played, blast from the past.  And it showed how many different styles of music were listened to, suited the diversity at the school, when the camera shot around to all the different "groups" the music suited the people from how they danced to what they were wearing.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Bosstralian said:

Yeah, I don't know what the story is here. Any other Aussie Lakers know why this isn't out until October in our part of the world?

TBH, I'm more interested out of curiosity to see the film rather than having a burning need to see it, but still... be nice to have the option to do so at least.

This is pre internet 70 's / 80's stuff here, when new music and movies would often be released months after the northern hemisphere had enjoyed them. I thought we'd left that long behind in this digital global community 

Have you got any previews in your neck of the woods Boss?

I am going to one tomorrow night in Sydney with a glass of vino and a Bruce tribute band for $35.

Taking Mrs G as well. I spoil that woman.

  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, albiedog said:

I recall even some big name UK rock stars who publically expressed their intrigue as to what might be on offer, Pete Townshend, I think being one of them . 

Nah! Pete (and The Who) got Bruce much earlier than all the BiUSA hype!  When Bruce first came to Europe in 1981 he was hanging out with Pete and Pete was showing him around London (most famously Pete took Bruce along to see a young up and coming Irish band by the name of U2 - I want to say at the Hammersmith Palais!?).  Before Bruce came to Europe in 1981 Roger Daltrey had a guest presenting slot on Radio 1 (where he could play what music HE wanted to play) and he introduced Hungry Heart by saying "here's a guy who is coming to these shores later this year and I will be first in the queue for tickets"...…..there remains strong links / connections between Bruce and The Who to this day (but NO - Pete wasn't "intrigued" in 1984/5 - he's been on board long before then!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.