WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

29 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

Nah! Pete (and The Who) got Bruce much earlier than all the BiUSA hype!  When Bruce first came to Europe in 1981 he was hanging out with Pete and Pete was showing him around London (most famously Pete took Bruce along to see a young up and coming Irish band by the name of U2 - I want to say at the Hammersmith Palais!?).  Before Bruce came to Europe in 1981 Roger Daltrey had a guest presenting slot on Radio 1 (where he could play what music HE wanted to play) and he introduced Hungry Heart by saying "here's a guy who is coming to these shores later this year and I will be first in the queue for tickets"...…..there remains strong links / connections between Bruce and The Who to this day (but NO - Pete wasn't "intrigued" in 1984/5 - he's been on board long before then!) 

Just as a P.S. to this - when Bruce was in Europe in 1985 for the BiUSA tour - his first ever large scale outdoor gig was at Slane Castle and a soundcheck the day before the concert would feature Pete T and also Eric Clapton (another good friend of Pete's but someone who perhaps "was" intrigued at that point!?, I don't know for sure) - would have liked to have been sitting in on that soundcheck!!!

P.P.S. going back to The River Tour of 1981 (and Bruce hanging with Pete) - the final UK show was at the NEC Birmingham and before Promised Land Bruce said "this is for Pete" and later in the gig Pete joined the ESB on stage for BTR and the ensuing Detroit Medley!  (4th July Wembley Stadium 1985 before Promised Land Bruce would say "this is for Bono and the guys" who were in attendance that day and whose star would go in to another stratosphere a week later following the Live Aid gig).

• Like 2

• Posted this on another thread - thought I'd copy here ref these posts!

I recall this photo being in a programme for a WHO tour in 1981 I'm fairly sure - so this was possibly backstage at MSG in 1979 :

Image result for roger daltrey bruce springsteen

And of course more recently Bruce presented Pete with that award for charity work and a photo like this can only make me smile / beam :

11th Annual MusiCares Map Fund Benefit Concert : News Photo

• Like 3

I decided I would like to re-read the book and I can't find it! Went into Waterstones thinking to buy another copy and they don't have it in stock.:(

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I decided I would like to re-read the book and I can't find it! Went into Waterstones thinking to buy another copy and they don't have it in stock.:(

Pretty sure I saw it somewhere recently (Amazon perhaps!?) and it now had the movie photo shot on the cover!!?

9 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

That's nothing.   Waitrose were out of onions yesterday.   Ruined my recipe. 

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

Pretty sure I saw it somewhere recently (Amazon perhaps!?) and it now had the movie photo shot on the cover!!?

That's kind of what I was expecting! 

I wanted it to take on holiday tomorrow, so no good ordering it. Going to have another look on my bookshelves. 

3 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

That's nothing.   Waitrose were out of onions yesterday.   Ruined my recipe. 

Sign of things to come???

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I wanted it to take on holiday tomorrow, so no good ordering it. Going to have another look on my bookshelves. 

Airport?, Chunnel?, or if Staycationing perhaps try a W H Smith anywhere you are headed (or today!?) or even a larger supermarket (the sort of title I can imagine being in those sort of outlets at the moment!?).

It will look like this Anne (re-released in July 2019) :

518POp0QyOL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

Airport?, Chunnel?, or if Staycationing perhaps try a W H Smith anywhere you are headed (or today!?) or even a larger supermarket (the sort of title I can imagine being in those sort of outlets at the moment!?).

Only Devon! I might find it in a bookshop there. I have plenty of other books, so it's not that important.

19 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Only Devon! I might find it in a bookshop there. I have plenty of other books, so it's not that important.

NO - the best Cream Tea shop is FAR more important!!  ENJOY!!!

• Thanks 1

So here's my review and thoughts on the movie.

I don't watch many movies - especially in the cinema, but the trailers had been very promising and I remember enjoying the book the movie is based on. So of course I went to see the preshow last Monday.

To address one of the obvious questions - it is hard for many Americans to understand Bruce Springsteen's popularity abroad. Sure, we know he's a massively talented songwriter and live performer, but he's so American, how can people living somewhere else relate properly to what he's singing about?

In my experience, the America he sings about (which appeals to American fans for its very familiarity) is fascinating for its novelty to non-U.S. audience, and his liberal politics tend to go down well in places that don't put capitalism on a pedestal. This movie covers that a little, but what it does really well is to show just how well Bruce's songs translate in their relateability to a listener immersed in a different culture. Intergenerational clashes between teens and parents who just don't understand each other very well; ostracized feelings of being on the outside looking in; the urge to escape from stifling places we call home, but that offer limited prospects for the future - these are not American themes, they are universal topics. Javed is exactly at that confusing point in life where popular music really can feel genuinely life changing - or even life saving.

The movie draws countless parallels between Javed's life in and Bruce's own formative experiences as a teen. Used Cars and My Hometown are not featured in the soundtrack, but they would have fit in very well - in fact there there are scenes that seem tailor written to fit those songs. But this is first and foremost a story of coming of age, and of the personal nature of fandom. And I suspect the film wouldn't have impacted me the way it did if I didn't see so much of my former self in the protagonist.

It's almost impossible for me to talk about the movie without talking about my own life, as it touches on so many memories of mine. This obviously isn't my story - I moved from England to Norway in 1989 when I was 11, so my immigrant experience was very different from Javed's. And my parents (who I generally got on with quite well) were far more supportive of my passion for music. I do recall growing up in Thatcher's England, though I was younger and largely oblivious of popular culture, fashion, music, and politics. But I remember generally feeling like an awkward social outsider as a teen, sensing that I was missing out on things. And then of course there was the discovery of Bruce Springsteen: For me this happened in 1989 when I was 11, right after having moved to a new country.

The movie veered into the musical genre a little too much for me, which I find cheesy and unappealing, but it sort of forced me to process very familiar songs quite differently from how I usually do, which was interesting. Watching the movie sometimes feels as awkward as listening to Queen of the Supermarket, but (just like with that song) this isn't a bad thing - because it is about an awkward guy. I found myself cringing a lot, but a lot of that was just me squirming at the discomfort of my own memories of being a weird, angsty and earnest teen who had just found his own key to the universe. Bruce's music would go on to sustain me for life, but being one of his fans really wasn't cool for a kid in middle and high school in the '90s, and it didn't help me make many friends at the time.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that connected this much to my own life - it was a powerful thing and I was sitting there close to tears a few times. It's a little longer than it needs to be, and the ending is a little predictable and rushed. But I'm very, very glad this movie got made. For Bruce fans, many of us will relate to a lot in the movie, but it's also a reminder that Tramps like us are not all the same. Bruce's music and message truly does transcend borders, generations, cultures, and religions.

Of course the real test will not be whether the fan community embraces it, but how it fares at the box office. Most of the reviews so far have been positive, and I do hope the viewing public gives it a chance. It is a good time to go back and re read the book it is based on - Greetings from Bury Park by Sarfraz Manzoor.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, BruceWho said:

.P.S. going back to The River Tour of 1981 (and Bruce hanging with Pete) - the final UK show was at the NEC Birmingham and before Promised Land Bruce said "this is for Pete" and later in the gig Pete joined the ESB on stage for BTR and the ensuing Detroit Medley!

That was actually the penultimate night.

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

So here's my review and thoughts on the movie.

I don't watch many movies - especially in the cinema, but the trailers had been very promising and I remember enjoying the book the movie is based on. So of course I went to see the preshow last Monday.

To address one of the obvious questions - it is hard for many Americans to understand Bruce Springsteen's popularity abroad. Sure, we know he's a massively talented songwriter and live performer, but he's so American, how can people living somewhere else relate properly to what he's singing about?

In my experience, the America he sings about (which appeals to American fans for its very familiarity) is fascinating for its novelty to non-U.S. audience, and his liberal politics tend to go down well in places that don't put capitalism on a pedestal. This movie covers that a little, but what it does really well is to show just how well Bruce's songs translate in their relateability to a listener immersed in a different culture. Intergenerational clashes between teens and parents who just don't understand each other very well; ostracized feelings of being on the outside looking in; the urge to escape from stifling places we call home, but that offer limited prospects for the future - these are not American themes, they are universal topics. Javed is exactly at that confusing point in life where popular music really can feel genuinely life changing - or even life saving.

The movie draws countless parallels between Javed's life in and Bruce's own formative experiences as a teen. Used Cars and My Hometown are not featured in the soundtrack, but they would have fit in very well - in fact there there are scenes that seem tailor written to fit those songs. But this is first and foremost a story of coming of age, and of the personal nature of fandom. And I suspect the film wouldn't have impacted me the way it did if I didn't see so much of my former self in the protagonist.

It's almost impossible for me to talk about the movie without talking about my own life, as it touches on so many memories of mine. This obviously isn't my story - I moved from England to Norway in 1989 when I was 11, so my immigrant experience was very different from Javed's. And my parents (who I generally got on with quite well) were far more supportive of my passion for music. I do recall growing up in Thatcher's England, though I was younger and largely oblivious of popular culture, fashion, music, and politics. But I remember generally feeling like an awkward social outsider as a teen, sensing that I was missing out on things. And then of course there was the discovery of Bruce Springsteen: For me this happened in 1989 when I was 11, right after having moved to a new country.

The movie veered into the musical genre a little too much for me, which I find cheesy and unappealing, but it sort of forced me to process very familiar songs quite differently from how I usually do, which was interesting. Watching the movie sometimes feels as awkward as listening to Queen of the Supermarket, but (just like with that song) this isn't a bad thing - because it is about an awkward guy. I found myself cringing a lot, but a lot of that was just me squirming at the discomfort of my own memories of being a weird, angsty and earnest teen who had just found his own key to the universe. Bruce's music would go on to sustain me for life, but being one of his fans really wasn't cool for a kid in middle and high school in the '90s, and it didn't help me make many friends at the time.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that connected this much to my own life - it was a powerful thing and I was sitting there close to tears a few times. It's a little longer than it needs to be, and the ending is a little predictable and rushed. But I'm very, very glad this movie got made. For Bruce fans, many of us will relate to a lot in the movie, but it's also a reminder that Tramps like us are not all the same. Bruce's music and message truly does transcend borders, generations, cultures, and religions.

Of course the real test will not be whether the fan community embraces it, but how it fares at the box office. Most of the reviews so far have been positive, and I do hope the viewing public gives it a chance. It is a good time to go back and re read the book it is based on - Greetings from Bury Park by Sarfraz Manzoor.

Yes I think they missed a trick by not including My Hometown as it would have fitted a number of scenes (and I love it)!

28 minutes ago, Johnstown Company said:

Yes I think they missed a trick by not including My Hometown as it would have fitted a number of scenes (and I love it)!

Although My Hometown would’ve been great, I was actually thinking the same, but about Growin’ Up... 

1 hour ago, A Saint in the city said:

Unlike Luton, there were no record shops selling tickets

I think that might have been a bit of artistic licence.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I think that might have been a bit of artistic licence.

I remember buying tickets (possibly not for Bruce) from HMV in Birmingham.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Similar issue here, can't find my copy anywhere.

I think it might've erroneously found its way into a charity donation box at some point. :(

6 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Similar issue here, can't find my copy anywhere.

I think it might've erroneously found its way into a charity donation box at some point. :(

So do I! In fact Mr J thinks he remembers me saying I wouldn't read it again. 

I laughed so hard when high schoolers were telling Jared no one is listening to Bruce anymore but dads - the irony of course being that that was 1987 and here we are in 2019 with him still going strong.  

Loved the similarities between the father-son relationships too, can see right there how Bruce gave his permission happily for the music. 

• Like 2

I saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it. I went with my parents, my mom unsurprisingly absolutely loved it. My dad, who is only a causal Bruce fan loved it as well. He actually teared up during the scenes with Javed and his father at the end. 

I see some similarities between Javed and myself. When I truly discovered the real Bruce, it was like my soul had an awakening. Bruce had understood everything I’ve ever felt. Dreams, disappointments, desires and everything in between. I never thought lyrics could be so relatable! Like Javed I have been writing all of my life and majored in English in college. I wrote for my school paper as well. As a recent college graduate, I have been rejected countless times for positions, but like Javed, I still write and continue to find my voice.

As someone who knows very little about UK politics, I found the degree of racism to be sickening. The riot scene eerily parallels atrocities that have happened in America in recent years. Some things sadly never change, whether it’s the 1950s, 1980s or 2010s. That sequence edited with Jungleland was brilliant. Mr. Evans reminded me of my grandfather, who left Austria because of the nazis, and fought for the USA in WWII. 

Yes, much of the movie was cheesy, especially when he quoted Bruce, but that was to be expected. My favorite line of the movie was the US customs response to Javed and Roops reason for visiting the US. Some of the characters could have used more development but I enjoyed it enough to give this a pass. 

Also there is no way Bruce was seen as a “has been” in 1987/1988. He just had one of the biggest albums of all time, followed by a mammoth tour and a sprawling live box set. Tunnel of Love was also a number 1 album and had some of his biggest hits to date.

I think Blinded by the Light was not a good choice for a title. It makes sense within the context of the story itself, but I’d bet the majority of people do not know Bruce wrote the song. It seems to be struggling at the box office.  As cliche as it would be something like Born to Run would likely make the movie more appealing for casual fans. Nevertheless, this will join my dvd collection when it comes out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, whispered secret said:

i have to copies but thats putting undue expeditions on the postal service :(

38 minutes ago, Declansk said:

I saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it. I went with my parents, my mom unsurprisingly absolutely loved it. My dad, who is only a causal Bruce fan loved it as well. He actually teared up during the scenes with Javed and his father at the end. 

I see some similarities between Javed and myself. When I truly discovered the real Bruce, it was like my soul had an awakening. Bruce had understood everything I’ve ever felt. Dreams, disappointments, desires and everything in between. I never thought lyrics could be so relatable! Like Javed I have been writing all of my life and majored in English in college. I wrote for my school paper as well. As a recent college graduate, I have been rejected countless times for positions, but like Javed, I still write and continue to find my voice.

As someone who knows very little about UK politics, I found the degree of racism to be sickening. The riot scene eerily parallels atrocities that have happened in America in recent years. Some things sadly never change, whether it’s the 1950s, 1980s or 2010s. That sequence edited with Jungleland was brilliant. Mr. Evans reminded me of my grandfather, who left Austria because of the nazis, and fought for the USA in WWII. 

Yes, much of the movie was cheesy, especially when he quoted Bruce, but that was to be expected. My favorite line of the movie was the US customs response to Javed and Roops reason for visiting the US. Some of the characters could have used more development but I enjoyed it enough to give this a pass. 

Also there is no way Bruce was seen as a “has been” in 1987/1988. He just had one of the biggest albums of all time, followed by a mammoth tour and a sprawling live box set. Tunnel of Love was also a number 1 album and had some of his biggest hits to date.

I think Blinded by the Light was not a good choice for a title. It makes sense within the context of the story itself, but I’d bet the majority of people do not know Bruce wrote the song. It seems to be struggling at the box office.  As cliche as it would be something like Born to Run would likely make the movie more appealing for casual fans. Nevertheless, this will join my dvd collection when it comes out.

so glad you enjoyed it

its pretty cool you all went as a family (i did take my mum to Jurassic park when i was about your age)

keep writting and best of luck with your career 

i totally agree with you about the movie title 

why not even keep it the same as the Sarfraz's book 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declansk said:

I don't think the film is aimed particularly at fans, casual or otherwise. 
And as I've said elsewhere, it's about epiphanies, so Blinded by the Light is perfectly appropriate as a title.

• Like 1