WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

13 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Nah! Pete (and The Who) got Bruce much earlier than all the BiUSA hype!  When Bruce first came to Europe in 1981 he was hanging out with Pete and Pete was showing him around London (most famously Pete took Bruce along to see a young up and coming Irish band by the name of U2 - I want to say at the Hammersmith Palais!?).  Before Bruce came to Europe in 1981 Roger Daltrey had a guest presenting slot on Radio 1 (where he could play what music HE wanted to play) and he introduced Hungry Heart by saying "here's a guy who is coming to these shores later this year and I will be first in the queue for tickets"...…..there remains strong links / connections between Bruce and The Who to this day (but NO - Pete wasn't "intrigued" in 1984/5 - he's been on board long before then!) 

Thanks for all your great insight BW. Good stuff. I only came on board around '81 thanks to an office 'tontine' thing where we used to contribute so much a month so we could all buy a couple of new albums between us each month and then have a sweep for ownership and then the owner had to tape a copy for anyone interested. As you'll recall any regular album purchase was out of price range for most folks back then.

I won 'The River' in one sweep. On listening to it I truly was smacked right between the eyes and so began my steadily burgeoning devotion at the age of 30!

To be fair re my post I probably meant 'excitement' as distinct from 'intrigue' and it probably was Pete Townshend after all who I must have heard enthusing on the radio and, now you say it, I think it was about the Ireland gig at Sloan castle which does ring a bell.

:)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Declansk said:

As someone who knows very little about UK politics, I found the degree of racism to be sickening. 

Same, insofar as how timely they unfortunately are.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I don't think the film is aimed particularly at fans, casual or otherwise. 
And as I've said elsewhere, it's about epiphanies, so Blinded by the Light is perfectly appropriate as a title.

The title is perfect.  Born To Run would be oversaturation, we already have an album and a book with that title.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I think that might have been a bit of artistic licence.

I agree as even though Cardiff has the oldest record shop in the world I remember writing Chequers and mailing them for Tol shows so I’m sure  they couldn’t have been for sale in shops...

actually that reminds me I’m sure my sister owes me for some of those tickets so I should remind her to pay me back,

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, albiedog said:

Thanks for all your great insight BW. Good stuff. I only came on board around '81 thanks to an office 'tontine' thing where we used to contribute so much a month so we could all buy a couple of new albums between us each month and then have a sweep for ownership and then the owner had to tape a copy for anyone interested. As you'll recall any regular album purchase was out of price range for most folks back then.

I won 'The River' in one sweep. On listening to it I truly was smacked right between the eyes and so began my steadily burgeoning devotion at the age of 30!

To be fair re my post I probably meant 'excitement' as distinct from 'intrigue' and it probably was Pete Townshend after all who I must have heard enthusing on the radio and, now you say it, I think it was about the Ireland gig at Sloan castle which does ring a bell.

:)

i thought it was just us teenypoppers being unwaged reliant on parents for pocket money who struggled to save the $10 it cost to buy a new album but now i think about it they used to be taxed like luxuries, i don't think Bruce etc saw that much of that $10 

5 hours ago, AMIW said:

I agree as even though Cardiff has the oldest record shop in the world I remember writing Chequers and mailing them for Tol shows so I’m sure  they couldn’t have been for sale in shops...

actually that reminds me I’m sure my sister owes me for some of those tickets so I should remind her to pay me back,

I can't remember ever getting a Springsteen ticket at a record shop.

I either sent away for them or got them from Badlands (?) … or begged Dan French or other mates for one.

There are a few things in the film that made me go 'Eh?' but I see now that it's not as I remember hearing from the horse's mouth as it were - hence the names being different I suppose.

• Like 1

HMV definitely DID sell concert tickets - in Norwich you could get tickets for events that were more local (like the UEA or venues in Ipswich etc) and whilst I don't ever recall them having tickets for major gigs (London/Birmingham etc) and therefore never buying a ticket there for the likes of Bruce, that wouldn't really be surprising (given location) - BUT - I wouldn't mind betting that they possibly DID sell some tickets in London and the Home Counties / a certain catchment area within reach of Wembley Stadium!!? (and wasn't the HMV in the film supposed to be St Albans even, not Luton, so VERY close to Wembley!).

I'm not so sure that this is factually inaccurate at all?  Likewise maybe HMV in Birmingham had an allocation of tickets for Villa Park!? - let's not forget that in those pre internet days record shops were HUGE and I can well imagine a poster in the window of these larger shops min those cities advertising the fact that they were selling tickets for those bigger gigs (as they would definitely been selling tickets for their smaller/local venues for sure! - the one in Norwich would have a poster with a list of the gigs they were selling for at the University etc)……..I think this would be accurate myself (but Javed getting to St Albans and back in the time that supposedly had elapsed NO! ha!).    

• Like 1

P.S. when I went to the free preview screening with a mate - and that scene came on - my mate leaned over to me and said "two tickets for forty quid!!!" - to which I replied "I'll check that when I get home" (as he knows I have every ticket - hundreds of them - from every show I've ever attended on the walls in about 12 large frames) and sure enough face value of that Wembley ticket was £17.50, so £20 (£2.50 for HMV) was correct / okay!  

• Like 2

Just back from the film. Not as good as I expected. We never got Springsteen tickets from the record store. Even in 1985 it was ticketek.

The favourite thing for Mrs G was seeing John Eales there at the screening.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, BruceWho said:

It will look like this Anne (re-released in July 2019) :

518POp0QyOL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

As of Sunday, Amazon (US) had copies available with the original cover.  Mine just arrived.  

37 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

As of Sunday, Amazon (US) had copies available with the original cover.  Mine just arrived.  

Yeah you can get BOTH here on Amazon UK too (but I felt that if Anne was going to find in a shop "at the moment" the likelihood would be that it would be carrying this cover!) 

• Like 1

Yes, both available from Amazon. I thought I might put it on kindle as it would be cheap, but it isn't. I will look for a copy when we go into a town or else I will order one when I get home. Would rather get it from Waterstones.  I know they are a big organisation and they don't pay their staff very well, but I still prefer them to Amazon and would be gutted if my local branch closed!

From IMDb

Anachronisms 

Javed listens to Bruce Springsteen's version of "Because the Night," a song he co-wrote with Patti Smith who Smith recorded and popularized. The film is set in 1987-1988. But the studio version of the song we hear was not released commercially until a 2010 compilation.
An establishing shot shows an arriving airliner over a sign that reads "Newark Liberty International Airport." However, the story is set in the late 1980's when the airport was named "Newark International Airport." "Liberty" was added to the name in 2002 after 9/11.
  • Like 1

The night after he first listens to Roop's two tapes (BUSA, Darkness) Javed quotes from The River, which it seems he hadn't heard yet.

2 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Yes, both available from Amazon. I thought I might put it on kindle as it would be cheap, but it isn't. I will look for a copy when we go into a town or else I will order one when I get home. Would rather get it from Waterstones.  I know they are a big organisation and they don't pay their staff very well, but I still prefer them to Amazon and would be gutted if my local branch closed!

i thought you wanted a copy of BTR ?

just as well you wern't relying on me :lol:

9 hours ago, BruceWho said:

HMV definitely DID sell concert tickets - in Norwich you could get tickets for events that were more local (like the UEA or venues in Ipswich etc) and whilst I don't ever recall them having tickets for major gigs (London/Birmingham etc) and therefore never buying a ticket there for the likes of Bruce, that wouldn't really be surprising (given location) - BUT - I wouldn't mind betting that they possibly DID sell some tickets in London and the Home Counties / a certain catchment area within reach of Wembley Stadium!!? (and wasn't the HMV in the film supposed to be St Albans even, not Luton, so VERY close to Wembley!).

I'm not so sure that this is factually inaccurate at all?  Likewise maybe HMV in Birmingham had an allocation of tickets for Villa Park!? - let's not forget that in those pre internet days record shops were HUGE and I can well imagine a poster in the window of these larger shops min those cities advertising the fact that they were selling tickets for those bigger gigs (as they would definitely been selling tickets for their smaller/local venues for sure! - the one in Norwich would have a poster with a list of the gigs they were selling for at the University etc)……..I think this would be accurate myself (but Javed getting to St Albans and back in the time that supposedly had elapsed NO! ha!).    

You’re right that HMV shops did act as ticket agents for gigs around that time and in London sold tickets for some of the larger indoor venues right up to Wembley Arena. However, I’m pretty certain they didn’t act as ticket agents for the 1988 TOL shows. I was living in London then as I still do and had to make a postal application for the Wembley show alluded to in Blinded By The Light.with no over the counter sales available. It was the same for the other show TOL I attended in the UK, the second night in Sheffield, postal application only. In fact that ticket application became a bit of a nightmare. I was pretty sure I’d scored a ticket once the cheque was cashed but ticket dispatch wasn’t undertaken until quite close to showtime and finished up coinciding with a local postal strike in my area. On the off chance I rang the offices of Sheffield United to find out what the situation would be if my ticket didn’t arrive and what to do if the worst happened. To my surprise the lady on the end of the line told me that the football club were handling ticket dispatch and that the tickets were due to go out the following day. Without prompting she offered to find my self addressed envelope containing my ticket and readdress it for me. I gave her my business address which wasn’t affected by the strike and low and behold two days later my ticket arrived safe and sound. Now that’s what I call customer service.

• Like 1

Kate saw it tonight. Apparently, she enjoyed the last 10 minutes and the credits - she loves the song.

Looking forward to seeing her so I can hear what she thought of the rest of it. :D

• Bruuuuce! 1

19 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

The title is perfect.  Born To Run would be oversaturation, we already have an album and a book with that title.  

Sarfraz tweeted how the name came about. Gurinder the director wanted a Bruce song, from the pre-1987 era, starting with a B because her biggest success had been Bend It Like Beckham. He suggested Blinded By The Light. Via text. And Gurinder loved the title. And that's how, in his words, it came to be on billboards and buses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

From IMDb

Anachronisms 

Javed listens to Bruce Springsteen's version of "Because the Night," a song he co-wrote with Patti Smith who Smith recorded and popularized. The film is set in 1987-1988. But the studio version of the song we hear was not released commercially until a 2010 compilation.

I noticed that, and hissed "Anachronism alert!" to my friend in the cinema.  But then I remembered it was on one of the live records, so I gave them a pass as I'm not going to be picky about versions.

• Haha 1

Also the shot of Luton football ground is obviously not from the 1980s as you don’t see the horrible shiny plastic pitch they had ... yes I booed when I saw it ... the footie ground is in bury park...

1985 to 1992 were the plastic years

• Haha 1

i dpnt know how im going to go to the movies

we just got back from the hospital 

the problem is Gary pupils are stuck on night mode and wont dilate. they are doing a ton of tests why because its not normal and he can bearly see

he needs eye drops every hour and three times durring the night 

he can't do it himself

hopefully the movie will stay around a few weeks 

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

the problem is Gary pupils are stuck on night mode and wont dilate. they are doing a ton of tests why because its not normal and he can bearly see

Well that's a strange one. Hope that gets sorted out soon!

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

yes me to. thanka

its weird

he is being tested for so many things from TB and .....Syphilis  (i can assure you he has neither) to lime disease to rule stuff out .its too bad they can't prescribe anti grumpy pills :(