WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

7 minutes ago, misty rain said:

I hope you find an answer soon, @Daisey Jeep

thank you

i pretty much am at the end of my tether :(

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

You’re right that HMV shops did act as ticket agents for gigs around that time and in London sold tickets for some of the larger indoor venues right up to Wembley Arena. However, I’m pretty certain they didn’t act as ticket agents for the 1988 TOL shows. I was living in London then as I still do and had to make a postal application for the Wembley show alluded to in Blinded By The Light.with no over the counter sales available. It was the same for the other show TOL I attended in the UK, the second night in Sheffield, postal application only. In fact that ticket application became a bit of a nightmare. I was pretty sure I’d scored a ticket once the cheque was cashed but ticket dispatch wasn’t undertaken until quite close to showtime and finished up coinciding with a local postal strike in my area. On the off chance I rang the offices of Sheffield United to find out what the situation would be if my ticket didn’t arrive and what to do if the worst happened. To my surprise the lady on the end of the line told me that the football club were handling ticket dispatch and that the tickets were due to go out the following day. Without prompting she offered to find my self addressed envelope containing my ticket and readdress it for me. I gave her my business address which wasn’t affected by the strike and low and behold two days later my ticket arrived safe and sound. Now that’s what I call customer service.

Thanks for the insight in to the ticket sales / HMV (I was myself more reacting to those who were disputing HMV selling tickets for gigs but it would seem that in BBTL they took some artistic license after all then by working that in to the story line). Yeah I applied for many concerts with the old SAE and cheque or postal order - no way of ever having any say as to where you were going to be inside the venue - you just either got tickets in the post or a returned cheque if the gig was a sell out!  I did all 5 UK TOL shows (+ Dublin and had been to the States a few months before for 2 indoor shows at Nassau Coliseum) it had seemed like a long wait after the BiUSA tour 3 years earlier (when I did all 3 Wembley and Newcastle) - wanted to do as much as I could/afford this time!

That was a terrific outcome you had for that Sheffield gig - Phew! - that second night at Sheffield (last UK show) my then girlfriend danced on stage that night! We all had the Human Rights Now gig a couple of months later at Wembley and little did we know that it would then be 11 years before we would see the ESB on stage again!!!...…..by which time the postal / SAE routine was history!      

• Like 1

Went to the movie last night, by myself. :blink:. What a great film. Made you smile, laugh, mad and sad. I can see how  Bruce can and had really change someone's life. Funny sat in the theater between two different couples. I was seated first and they came in, they seen me sitting by myself and the man told their wife, I'll sit here. :D. Anyway at the end of the film, those two gentlemen were crying like babies. I really think you need to be a big Bruce fan to enjoy this movie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

:D. Anyway at the end of the film, those two gentlemen were crying like babies. I really think you need to be a big Bruce fan to enjoy this movie.

I honestly don't think you need to be.  We'll have more of an attachment but people do enjoy music films, that's why there's so many being made as of late.  

The father-son subplot will have many relating, boys and their dads. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I honestly don't think you need to be.  We'll have more of an attachment but people do enjoy music films, that's why there's so many being made as of late.  

You beat me to it.   I wholeheartedly agree.

I mean it certainly adds another layer for fellow Tramps, and if you dislike Bruce, well that’s another story... 

But for the most part I think there’s something there for any music fan who understands the power it can have; likewise for any of the subplots. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Yep, the last three music related movies we/I have seen have been great. Rocketman, Yesterday and Blinded by the Light. 

• Like 1

As my first viewing was a free one I went again today as a paying customer. Enjoyed it again and spotted a couple of things I missed first time round. Overheard a couple of woman leaving saying they couldn't stop crying at the ending so others enjoyed it. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Went to the movie last night, by myself. :blink:. What a great film. Made you smile, laugh, mad and sad. I can see how  Bruce can and had really change someone's life. Funny sat in the theater between two different couples. I was seated first and they came in, they seen me sitting by myself and the man told their wife, I'll sit here. :D. Anyway at the end of the film, those two gentlemen were crying like babies. I really think you need to be a big Bruce fan to enjoy this movie.

I went this afternoon with sister and brother in law, she isn't a fan and enjoyed it, I stuggled to stay in my seat at times.:lol:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

yes me to. thanka

its weird

he is being tested for so many things from TB and .....Syphilis  (i can assure you he has neither) to lime disease to rule stuff out .its too bad they can't prescribe anti grumpy pills :(

I hope they solve the problem very soon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jmw said:

I went this afternoon with sister and brother in law, she isn't a fan and enjoyed it, I stuggled to stay in my seat at times.:lol:

Yep, I was at a theater with the Dream Loungers where you can fulling recline. So it's hard to jump out of them. But did hear a lot of singing out of the audience. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep, I was at a theater with the Dream Loungers where you can fulling recline. So it's hard to jump out of them. But did hear a lot of singing out of the audience. 

No singing.:mellow:

I did see two men on there own.

• Like 1

Kate was here for her tea so I got a chance to ask her about her thoughts on the film - she'd previously said she enjoyed the last 10 minutes and the credits.

Well … Kate adores Bruce and has seen him in concert … got song lyrics on both wrists, loves him dearly.

She did not like the film at all - apart from the bits about New Jersey onwards.  She thought it was badly made (as do I but hadn't said that to her) and that she cringed at lots of bits ie the ice-cream parlour (café) whatever it was … coming out with those lyrics - all the times anybody came out with the lyrics.  She didn't like his mate that had the band, or the bits with the main character and his girlfriend.  She thought the bit with the young lad watching the car going towards London was naff. Oh dear! :D She said that if she hadn't wanted to hear the music she'd have walked out early on … as I felt like doing (she didn't know that either).

However, she stayed behind for the credits, as did another 10 or so people … absolutely loves the song.

I doubt Suzanne will bother with it.  Kate's going to see Yesterday - hope she enjoys that cos I did. Just a better film, not (as she says) a film that looks like it was done holding a camcorder thingy. (She may have worded that differently)

I told her lots of people love the bits she hated - she's at a loss to understand why.

Her love of Bruce is unscathed. ;)

• Like 2

I was very disappointed that the Western Stars movie didn't have a trailer before last nights show. That's why I got there early. 

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Kate was here for her tea so I got a chance to ask her about her thoughts on the film - she'd previously said she enjoyed the last 10 minutes and the credits.

Well … Kate adores Bruce and has seen him in concert … got song lyrics on both wrists, loves him dearly.

She did not like the film at all - apart from the bits about New Jersey onwards.  She thought it was badly made (as do I but hadn't said that to her) and that she cringed at lots of bits ie the ice-cream parlour (café) whatever it was … coming out with those lyrics - all the times anybody came out with the lyrics.  She didn't like his mate that had the band, or the bits with the main character and his girlfriend.  She thought the bit with the young lad watching the car going towards London was naff. Oh dear! :D She said that if she hadn't wanted to hear the music she'd have walked out early on … as I felt like doing (she didn't know that either).

However, she stayed behind for the credits, as did another 10 or so people … absolutely loves the song.

I doubt Suzanne will bother with it.  Kate's going to see Yesterday - hope she enjoys that cos I did. Just a better film, not (as she says) a film that looks like it was done holding a camcorder thingy. (She may have worded that differently)

I told her lots of people love the bits she hated - she's at a loss to understand why.

Forgive my nosiness, but as an infrequent poster/visitor to the forum is there some significance to kate's takes on the film that everyone else knows about but I don't?

:)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, albiedog said:

Forgive my nosiness, but as an infrequent poster/visitor to the forum is there some significance to kate's takes on the film?

:)

Sorry. She's one of my daughters - the youngest … 24, 25 next month. I have another one, Suzanne, who's 44 in December and one son, Christopher, who's 41.

Now you're up to date. :D

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I was very disappointed that the Western Stars movie didn't have a trailer before last nights show. That's why I got there early. 

JLM are lazy at promoting their main client that made them rich

Bruce should sake them and hire us

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

that very interesting Aunty

i don't like musicals so im unsure what I'll think 

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that very interesting Aunty

i don't like musicals so im unsure what I'll think 

Loads of folk loved it, Daisey. Hopefully, you will too.

• Thanks 1

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/film-reviews/115189508/blinded-by-the-light-a-musically-literate-yarn-with-its-heart-on-its-sleeve

well this guy seems to love it and gave it 4 stars

i had no idea that there was anyone ego didn't love BITUSA when it came out 

57 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Loads of folk loved it, Daisey. Hopefully, you will too.

thanks Aunty 

is it bad im hoping for a near empty theatre? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Sorry. She's one of my daughters - the youngest … 24, 25 next month. I have another one, Suzanne, who's 44 in December and one son, Christopher, who's 41.

Now you're up to date. :D

Right. I see now.

:D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep, the last three music related movies we/I have seen have been great. Rocketman, Yesterday and Blinded by the Light. 

I typically see about one movie a year but have been to all of those this year and enjoyed them all. I've actually seen a number of movies this year with my husband's aunt!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troublette said:

I typically see about one movie a year but have been to all of those this year and enjoyed them all. I've actually seen a number of movies this year with my husband's aunt!

that is so nice 

is she going to see BBTL with you too ?

3 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that is so nice 

is she going to see BBTL with you too ?

I wasn't sure she'd care for it so like Jimmy I went myself. She wants to see the Tarantino film, not sure about that one myself.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Troublette said:

I wasn't sure she'd care for it so like Jimmy I went myself. She wants to see the Tarantino film, not sure about that one myself.

oh :(

i don't like grututatus (sorry phone can't spell that) violence so i stay away from Mr Tarantino 

id rather watch a quirky English-type film myself, or an historical drama 

• Like 1