WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

"Your father's hand that always seemed like a fist"

Great line!

One of my all time favourite songs, and Rachel we have a few "Corby old boys" we meet in our local hostelry.

• Like 1

I still love Big Country, and of course Stuart.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:32 AM, balboa08 said:

Still not released in india :( Hoping that since this is based on a Pakistani journalist, it does not end up not getting released..

Thought this might interest you... 

• Love Love Love! 2

On 9/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, rosiejaneymary said:

Thought this might interest you... 

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, balboa08 said:

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing

My pleasure!  WE of the mighty E Street Nation take care of our own :D

Enjoy!! 

• Like 3

im finally here

last day

in the 20 seat theater 

just me and my popcorn

no milk duds unfortunatly

• Like 3

bugga an old lady just came in

i wont be able to sing now

popcorn for breakfast is good though

hmmmm a really good looking  vietnam movie on the previews - sounds Australian 

• Like 1

ok hopefully everyone has seen it now because i don't how to make a spoiler so Cecelia Sweden and anyone else who hasn't seen it stop reading  (Bruce is just hanging around so you don't see anything you shouldn't)

Bruce-Springsteen-2-1920x2561-700x934.jpg

hmmm at first- well for the first half of the movie i was really starting to worry i was missing something because i found it very corny

also as an 80s teen i couldn't relate to those school kids at all - i am the same age as the real Javard

i went to a state co-ed school but it was nothing like that

that boy who had the bad Paul Young look going on would have been beaten up at my school except he would have been suspended for having a hair cut like that and so would all off the girls

and that DJ that had that culture club look going on - another one that would have got beaten up 

so i just could not relate to any of the school stuff - obviously NZ never was as England as we thought

even the sizes of the classes and the teachers, that's just not my 80s education and im woundering how far fetched it was

it was cool when they played BTR on the school radio station (no - my school never had a radio station or for that matter much of a newspaper)

the racism and those national front people

just awful

we never had anything like that in my whiter than white home town

also i never knew that Pakistani and Indian people were Asian ?  @balboa08 may i politely ask do you guys consider your self as Asians? 

So now  so far my favorite character is the old boy across the way and also the mum. she really is alot like Mrs Springsteen

i thought when he went into lyric mode it was a bit much

i mean a phase here and there is cute but a whole verse ??? really ??? thats a bit OTT

i also thought no way did the story  need him having a girl friend 

that added zero to the story

i kinda liked his Seek friend and i loved seeing his real picture at the end of the movie

i thought Luton looked ok - i couldn't beleave how flat the country side was on the road you see going  to London

oh wow if only it was still that easy to buy tickets!

i felt upset for the family that the wedding had to get past the national front to get to the wedding 

but then

phew 

some redemption 

the big fight with dad and when the tickets got ripped up 

i did say rather loud "Nooooo !"

(but then as he's seen Bruce 150 times i only feel sorry for him right there in that moment - and im sure he's got over it by now)

and then when he went out side and the car wouldn't start 

now this feels like my sorta Springsteen and i had to feel around in my bag for a hanky for the first time

(although it was real sad when mum had to sell her bangles eairler)

and that day-time night club thing from before was out there, i enjoyed that bit but we had nothing like that in Dunedin (even at night time)

when he goes to Asbury park i did enjoy that very much 

and when mum and dad and sis see him at the school prize giving and he talks about it was before being about Bruce and him but now its really about everyone and that'd kind of what i took from the river anniversary tour

the best bit was when dad played the river in the car

movie 7/10  a solid 3 and a half stars would have been 4 without the girl friend 

soundtrack 9/10

because even though i know see how some of the non Bruce tracks had their place but a point off anyway for that beyound awful sun always shines on tv 

no advertising for any Bruce related product before the movie 

• Like 4

i want to see it again

i guess im up to buying the dvd when its out 

id love to watch it with any of you no matter what you thought of it

• Like 1

hearing the music in the theater when i almost always listen on head phones reminded me how much C is missed 

33 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Daisey has finally seen the movie... all is right with the world

Ahem! I haven't seen it yet, young Andrew :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Daisey, he was not at a school - he was at sixth form college. Back then, many students left high school at 16 and went to sixth form or a technical college. These were for students aged 16 to 18, and the representation of the college in the film was pretty accurate. There would typically be no rules regarding dress, hair styles etc. totally different from school and the teachers would be more relaxed than in a school.

People of Indian and Pakistani descent are Asian.

I have just started re-reading the book - so far, it isn't a lot like the film. It looks as if the incident with tickets was made up and his sister actually got married in Pakistan.

• Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

I have just started re-reading the book - so far, it isn't a lot like the film.

They stop short of saying the film is "based on" the book and only describe it as "inspired by" a true story

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

They stop short of saying the film is "based on" the book and only describe it as "inspired by" a true story

Capture.JPG

Yes, inspired by is much better wording.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i want to see it again

i guess im up to buying the dvd when its out 

id love to watch it with any of you no matter what you thought of it

I'm happy you were able to see the film Daisey! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whispered secret said:

I have just started re-reading the book - so far, it isn't a lot like the film. It looks as if the incident with tickets was made up and his sister actually got married in Pakistan.

Yes.  Hence the ‘inspired by’ rather than ‘based on...’   

Oops... just saw Born to Walk’s post!! 

It seems the film was based on a lot of things that actually happened in his life, ‘inspired’ by the book, but were dramatized for the end product.  

I read somewhere that Sarfraz said that “Roops” (I forget his real name) actually got them tickets.  But I think he said the incident w/the pig at the mosque was real. 

Also, the Matt character is based on his childhood friend Scott.  Scott never had a band, and they never had a falling out.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, WKE066 said:

Has anyone seen "Blinded by the Light"? If so, what did you think?

My wife and I received an invite to an early screening for this evening in the Seattle area and we are planning on going. I heard there has been other early screenings.

I've seen it twice in the theater now. Loved it, a lot!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

you have no good excuse - Daisey lives in a country that technically doesn't exist and she managed to see it

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Doah said:

I've seen it twice in the theater now. Loved it, a lot!

Three times for me, and I did as well!!!   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

jmw, get yourself to the West End on Monday September 23rd, something of an auspicious date don’t you think, as there’s a one off showing at the Prince Charles cinema just off Leicester Square in celebration of the great man’s 70th birthday,

https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceCharlesCinema.dll/WhatsOn?q=Blinded+by+the+light

I’m going, it’ll be my third viewing though the first time I’ve actually paid as I managed to get free preview tickets twice.

• Like 1

Sarfraz didn't have a girlfriend at the college...his father didn't even allow him out at night when he was living at home far less him having a regular girlfriend....that was just added into the film to help the story which I think it did. I thought her character was excellent and the young lass played the part really well. One of my favourite parts in the film was when he was saying the words to Prove it all night to her. The part when his father ripped up the concert tickets didn't happen either....he actually went to the show at Wembley. The film is based loosely on Sarfraz's book. Many things in the film actually did happen....some didn't.  I found very little to criticise about the movie which I thought was absolutely wonderful from start to finish.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

15 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

the young lass played the part really well

I hadn't realised that she is the daughter of actress Helen Baxendale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Williams

6 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Daisey, he was not at a school - he was at sixth form college. Back then, many students left high school at 16 and went to sixth form or a technical college. These were for students aged 16 to 18, and the representation of the college in the film was pretty accurate. There would typically be no rules regarding dress, hair styles etc. totally different from school and the teachers would be more relaxed than in a school.

People of Indian and Pakistani descent are Asian.

oh i see 

i just thought it must have been how American high school seems to be the last 3 ? years

and in NZ honest, i have never heard of Pakistani or Indian, Bangladeshi or Afgani people called Asian and we do have plenty of those good people living here

i looked on the net and i found an article saying in American its like that too 

im not sure id call the Philippines Asian either

maybe it depends where on the map you live