WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

45 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Sarfraz didn't have a girlfriend at the college...his father didn't even allowed him out at night when he was living at home far less him having a regular girlfriend....that was just added into the film to help the story which I think it did. I thought her character was excellent and the young lass played the part really well. One of my favourite parts in the film was when he was saying the words to Prove it all night to her. The part when his father ripped up the concert tickets didn't happen either....he actually went to the show at Wembley. The film is based loosely on Sarfraz's book. Many things in the film actually did happen....some didn't.  I found very little to criticise about the movie which I thought was absolutely wonderful from start to finish.

what ! 

but that's like the climax of the movie

and its made up :o

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yes.  Hence the ‘inspired by’ rather than ‘based on...’   

Oops... just saw Born to Walk’s post!! 

It seems the film was based on a lot of things that actually happened in his life, ‘inspired’ by the book, but were dramatized for the end product.  

I read somewhere that Sarfraz said that “Roops” (I forget his real name) actually got them tickets.  But I think he said the incident w/the pig at the mosque was real. 

Also, the Matt character is based on his childhood friend Scott.  Scott never had a band, and they never had a falling out.  

that might have made Matt /Scott a bit more likable 

5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

They stop short of saying the film is "based on" the book and only describe it as "inspired by" a true story

Capture.JPG

i needed to see this

i needed it flashed across the screen

i assumed it was more akin to the crown but with the input of the main player 

im now really disappointed so much of it was made up

when they do my movie make sure they have me sleeping with Bruce in Moncton

(he didn't even stay in Moncton, he flew in and out on a private jet but ill make full use of artistic licence)

honestly how did i miss this ?

i thought the movie would embellish the book - not fictonize it

serously no offence to any of you guys but i have to go off in a huff for a bit

i don't know how i misunderstood this ....:(

Only a few bits were made up to help enhance to story for the movie....the majority of what happened in the film is what is in the book and what actually happened at that time in his life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I actually liked Matt.  They had that falling out as he felt betrayed by Javed.   At first I thought he (Matt) was being all pissy.  But when he made his speech, you saw it was coming from a place of hurt, not anger.  

1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

Only a few bits were made up to help enhance to story for the movie....the majority of what happened in the film is what is in the book and what actually happened at that time in his life.

Exactly.  

• Like 1

i needed it flashed across the screen

It was!  You must’ve missed it... 

He was rather annoying, especially his pouty lips... :D 

• Haha 2

Just now, MadamMarie said:

Yes, at times he was!  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Sarfraz didn't have a girlfriend at the college...his father didn't even allowed him out at night when he was living at home far less him having a regular girlfriend....that was just added into the film to help the story which I think it did. I thought her character was excellent and the young lass played the part really well. One of my favourite parts in the film was when he was saying the words to Prove it all night to her. The part when his father ripped up the concert tickets didn't happen either....he actually went to the show at Wembley. The film is based loosely on Sarfraz's book. Many things in the film actually did happen....some didn't.  I found very little to criticise about the movie which I thought was absolutely wonderful from start to finish.

I agree with all of this.  I really liked her a lot.   I too loved the movie from start to finish. 

but that's like the climax of the movie

Yes, but it was to show their differences.  And that was real.  

If it makes you feel any better, here’s a true horrifying ticket story... 

When we went to Syracuse in January of ‘85, a couple sitting next to us in McDonald’s were having a fight.  The guy took the tickets out of his pocket and lit them on fire.  Lit. Them. On. Fire.  The girl was HYSTERICAL crying.  The entire restaurant stopped, gasped, and couldn’t believe it.  

So when we saw the movie, at that part, my friend and I turned to each other and said ‘Syracuse!’  It haunts us to this day... 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

38 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

it was that haircut and the dangly earing

40 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

It was!  You must’ve missed it... 

i never to see the movie with you guys :)

30 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I agree with all of this.  I really liked her a lot.   I too loved the movie from start to finish. 

i really liked Jarvad's mum

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

jmw, get yourself to the West End on Monday September 23rd, something of an auspicious date don’t you think, as there’s a one off showing at the Prince Charles cinema just off Leicester Square in celebration of the great man’s 70th birthday,

https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceCharlesCinema.dll/WhatsOn?q=Blinded+by+the+light

I’m going, it’ll be my third viewing though the first time I’ve actually paid as I managed to get free preview tickets twice.

Hmm, sounds like a plan. I hope you can just turn up and buy a ticket? None of this ordering in advance or becoming a member mullarkey?

• Like 1

The greatness of the monumental Thunder Road should not have been subjected to a Mary Poppins / Kids From Fame dance-a-long in that sequence.

It was a sort of dumbing down, for me.  Almost insulting.

:(

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

The greatness of the monumental Thunder Road should not have been subjected to a Mary Poppins / Kids From Fame dance-a-long in that sequence.

Hear what you are saying - think the word is sacrilege!  It also annoyed me that Rob Brydon's character "loudly" sang "you can hide neath your LOVERS" - not covers - WHY!!!??

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

Or has the middle name Marmalade!

Bloody southerners. 

maybe her godfather is Paddington bear ???

29 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

year

BTR was ok because it was playing on the radio

but thunder road is a no no 

it was like the kids from fame ! 

also reminds me of those idiots blocking my view in Moncton getting all lovie dubbie and kissing

also i wasn't too keen on the character of 'Paul Young's (the friend in the band) dad singing The river (im not sure if ive remembering in right) that dad was  a pretty weak character who had potential and could have been written better 

im not into musicals - my mum OD'ed me on the sound of music 

On 9/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

ok hopefully everyone has seen it now because i don't how to make a spoiler so Cecelia Sweden and anyone else who hasn't seen it stop reading  (Bruce is just hanging around so you don't see anything you shouldn't)

Bruce-Springsteen-2-1920x2561-700x934.jpg

hmmm at first- well for the first half of the movie i was really starting to worry i was missing something because i found it very corny

also as an 80s teen i couldn't relate to those school kids at all - i am the same age as the real Javard

i went to a state co-ed school but it was nothing like that

that boy who had the bad Paul Young look going on would have been beaten up at my school except he would have been suspended for having a hair cut like that and so would all off the girls

and that DJ that had that culture club look going on - another one that would have got beaten up 

so i just could not relate to any of the school stuff - obviously NZ never was as England as we thought

even the sizes of the classes and the teachers, that's just not my 80s education and im woundering how far fetched it was

it was cool when they played BTR on the school radio station (no - my school never had a radio station or for that matter much of a newspaper)

the racism and those national front people

just awful

we never had anything like that in my whiter than white home town

also i never knew that Pakistani and Indian people were Asian ?  @balboa08 may i politely ask do you guys consider your self as Asians? 

So now  so far my favorite character is the old boy across the way and also the mum. she really is alot like Mrs Springsteen

i thought when he went into lyric mode it was a bit much

i mean a phase here and there is cute but a whole verse ??? really ??? thats a bit OTT

i also thought no way did the story  need him having a girl friend 

that added zero to the story

i kinda liked his Seek friend and i loved seeing his real picture at the end of the movie

i thought Luton looked ok - i couldn't beleave how flat the country side was on the road you see going  to London

oh wow if only it was still that easy to buy tickets!

i felt upset for the family that the wedding had to get past the national front to get to the wedding 

but then

phew 

some redemption 

the big fight with dad and when the tickets got ripped up 

i did say rather loud "Nooooo !"

(but then as he's seen Bruce 150 times i only feel sorry for him right there in that moment - and im sure he's got over it by now)

and then when he went out side and the car wouldn't start 

now this feels like my sorta Springsteen and i had to feel around in my bag for a hanky for the first time

(although it was real sad when mum had to sell her bangles eairler)

and that day-time night club thing from before was out there, i enjoyed that bit but we had nothing like that in Dunedin (even at night time)

when he goes to Asbury park i did enjoy that very much 

and when mum and dad and sis see him at the school prize giving and he talks about it was before being about Bruce and him but now its really about everyone and that'd kind of what i took from the river anniversary tour

the best bit was when dad played the river in the car

movie 7/10  a solid 3 and a half stars would have been 4 without the girl friend 

soundtrack 9/10

because even though i know see how some of the non Bruce tracks had their place but a point off anyway for that beyound awful sun always shines on tv 

no advertising for any Bruce related product before the movie 

Thanks to RJM , I watched the movie on Netflix the other day. If it was based on any other artist other than Bruce, I would felt that the whole movie was a bit too much,OTT. In any case, it was on Bruce so I ended up enjoying it thoroughly. Lot of songs did fit into the sequences or rather the screenplay was based on the lyrics :)  During BTR , my wife remarked Bollywood meets Springsteen. Or a bit like Mama mia

Am sure that I will watch it again.

I really did not know 80’s Britain was that bad.Or just a few loonies shown here kind of a negative picture of the whole society. Those were pre cable TV days in India where news was only from Newspapers and till 1984 we had a Prime Minister who was similar in many ways to Thatcher, no wonder they were so close. I remember my school principal, a great great person, who was an Englishman who hated Thatcher and would often speak negatively of her in Moral Science class.

Sarfraz Mansoor and I may be around the same age, I discovered Bruce a couple of years earlier, in 85 through DITD video, and my first album was TOL. Apart from the love for Bruce, nothing else is similar in our lives so cant relate to his story. He is one lucky guy though having seen Bruce over 150 times, getting to meet him and then having a movie made partly based on his life.

The movie felt like 2 huge Bruce fans paying a homage to their hero and I do wish the movie was released here so hopefully few new fans could have joined the Bruce bandwagon which is what I am hoping with my wife. She no Springsteen fan, or atleast pretends so, sat with me and watched the whole movie and I am hoping that she now sees what I have always seen in Bruce. Watching in on Netflix also meant that the subtitles were on and she could read the lyrics which she might have not known earlier and appreciate Bruce more. Her situtation is also little difficult now that my little more than 2 and a half year old son too loves lot of Bruce stuff with current favourites being River(duet with Sting), Hello Sunshine, There goes my miracle, DITD and all time favourite being BTR, so every time a song was on he would stop whatever he was doing and stare at the screen and he has this move whenever Bruce says Born to Run, he would raise his right arm. She could make me turn of the music in the car but cant say no to our son.

@Daisey, yes we do consider ourselves as Asians. We are South Asians and I often wondered why in some shows when people mention Asians it would always be those from China, Japan, Malaysia, etc and Indians would be mentioned separately. Not that there is any Asian identity as such as I guess Europeans have, just an acceptance of our geography. We don’t go around identifying ourselves as Asians. Don’t now if my answer is more confusing.

One blooper, Javed quotes from River when the albums given to him were BITU and DOTEOT and there is nothing to indicate that he had heard River.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

Thanks to RJM , I watched the movie on Netflix the other day. If it was based on any other artist other than Bruce, I would felt that the whole movie was a bit too much,OTT. In any case, it was on Bruce so I ended up enjoying it thoroughly. Lot of songs did fit into the sequences or rather the screenplay was based on the lyrics :)  During BTR , my wife remarked Bollywood meets Springsteen. Or a bit like Mama mia

Am sure that I will watch it again.

I really did not know 80’s Britain was that bad.Or just a few loonies shown here kind of a negative picture of the whole society. Those were pre cable TV days in India where news was only from Newspapers and till 1984 we had a Prime Minister who was similar in many ways to Thatcher, no wonder they were so close. I remember my school principal, a great great person, who was an Englishman who hated Thatcher and would often speak negatively of her in Moral Science class.

Sarfraz Mansoor and I may be around the same age, I discovered Bruce a couple of years earlier, in 85 through DITD video, and my first album was TOL. Apart from the love for Bruce, nothing else is similar in our lives so cant relate to his story. He is one lucky guy though having seen Bruce over 150 times, getting to meet him and then having a movie made partly based on his life.

The movie felt like 2 huge Bruce fans paying a homage to their hero and I do wish the movie was released here so hopefully few new fans could have joined the Bruce bandwagon which is what I am hoping with my wife. She no Springsteen fan, or atleast pretends so, sat with me and watched the whole movie and I am hoping that she now sees what I have always seen in Bruce. Watching in on Netflix also meant that the subtitles were on and she could read the lyrics which she might have not known earlier and appreciate Bruce more. Her situtation is also little difficult now that my little more than 2 and a half year old son too loves lot of Bruce stuff with current favourites being River(duet with Sting), Hello Sunshine, There goes my miracle, DITD and all time favourite being BTR, so every time a song was on he would stop whatever he was doing and stare at the screen and he has this move whenever Bruce says Born to Run, he would raise his right arm. She could make me turn of the music in the car but cant say no to our son.

@Daisey, yes we do consider ourselves as Asians. We are South Asians and I often wondered why in some shows when people mention Asians it would always be those from China, Japan, Malaysia, etc and Indians would be mentioned separately. Not that there is any Asian identity as such as I guess Europeans have, just an acceptance of our geography. We don’t go around identifying ourselves as Asians. Don’t now if my answer is more confusing.

One blooper, Javed quotes from River when the albums given to him were BITU and DOTEOT and there is nothing to indicate that he had heard River.

i am so excitted your wife not only watched the movie with you but possibly quite  enjoyed it

and its so awsome your little boy is growing up listening to Bruce, so adorable 

and if Indians (and your Pakistani neighbours)  are indeed Asians you are the best kind because you love cricket !

i just think your country and culture is so huge and diverse you guys stand out as an ethnically all of your own

you must pop on over to the netflex thread in the movie forum because i have watched a few Indian movies and really enjoyed them and could do with some pointers - I dont actually mind the singing and dancing in Bollywood so long as the story is good

subtitles are great ! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

I really did not know 80’s Britain was that bad.

Margaret Thatcher (aka, The Blue Rinse B****) was in charge.  So yeah, it was that bad.

Hey, the Fight Club is back !

:lol:

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i am so excitted your wife not only watched the movie with you but possibly quite  enjoyed it

and its so awsome your little boy is growing up listening to Bruce, so adorable 

and if Indians (and your Pakistani neighbours)  are indeed Asians you are the best kind because you love cricket !

i just think your country and culture is so huge and diverse you guys stand out as an ethnically all of your own

you must pop on over to the netflex thread in the movie forum because i have watched a few Indian movies and really enjoyed them and could do with some pointers - I dont actually mind the singing and dancing in Bollywood so long as the story is good

subtitles are great ! 

Thanks Daisey, am sure that my son will outgrow pretty fast. Right now he has had no choice, but theh again you never know, i do like a lot of what my dad likes.

Yup agree both on cricket and that we are different. In a way cricket unifies the country. Other games are gaining popularity now. 

I will go and check out the other thread.

• Bruuuuce! 1

Does anyone know if that part about him winning a scholarship to Monmouth Uni was true or not ?

9 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Hmm, sounds like a plan. I hope you can just turn up and buy a ticket? None of this ordering in advance or becoming a member mullarkey?

jmw, the Prince Charles is a normal cinema which specialises in one-off showings of a wide ranges of current and vintage films. There is a membership scheme but it’s not mandatory and the only benefit is a small discount on tickets which works very well if you go to a lot of movies. Like most cinemas nowadays you can book on line in advance but you can also just turn up and pay on the day. BBTL is showing in the downstairs cinema which is pretty large and I’d be gob smacked if it sold out in advance. Looks like the stars are aligned in you favour.

• Thanks 1