WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The greatness of the monumental Thunder Road should not have been subjected to a Mary Poppins / Kids From Fame dance-a-long in that sequence.

It was a sort of dumbing down, for me.  Almost insulting.

:(

Yep...if I was to have a small gripe about the movie it was that bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

Yep...if I was to have a small gripe about the movie it was that bit.

I know that a lot of people felt that way.  I personally didn’t.  I found those ‘musical’ type parts either legit funny (not laughing at, but laughing with), or extremely heartwarming.  

The ‘lovers’ rather than ‘covers’ was odd, but then I wondered if they did that purposefully as so many people do mishear lyrics a lot concerning our man.  He also sang waves... which we (until not too long ago) thought were the actual lyrics.  I still sing ‘waves’ more often than not!  :D

The only thing that really did bug me (as was previously discussed) was his quoting The River when he had only had access (as far as we know) to Darkness and BITUSA.  

But all in all... I loved it so, so much.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

also i wasn't too keen on the character of 'Paul Young's (the friend in the band) dad singing The river (im not sure if ive remembering in right) that dad was  a pretty weak character who had potential and could have been written better 

im not into musicals - my mum OD'ed me on the sound of music

Really?  OMG... I absolutely loved him.  He cracked me up! 

I can understand that.  A lot of people don’t like musicals.  

With very few exceptions, I really love them.  

I actually OD’d my own self (every year in the movie theatre when I was very young, then every year on TV for years and years, and twice on B’way) on The Sound of Music.  

It remains one of my all time favorites.  

It’s up there with West Side Story, Guys and Dolls, The Music Man, Fiddler on the Roof (movie and B’way for all of those), and Brigadoon, among others.  And yes... surprise, surprise... I even still really love Mary Poppins.   

Yes, you need suspended belief; and yes, they can be “corny.”  No matter.  I (for the most part) love ‘em! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still reading the book! I think the film did make a big mistake over him quoting The River when he hadn't heard it. In the book, the first words Safraz hears Bruce sing are 'I come from down the valley...

Sound of Music was my mum's favourite film Daisey.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Still reading the book! I think the film did make a big mistake over him quoting The River when he hadn't heard it. In the book, the first words Safraz hears Bruce sing are 'I come from down the valley...

Would have been so easily overcome if Roops had handed him 3 cassettes! (third being The River obviously)……….I cant get my head around Rob Brydon's character (and he a fan in real life!) singing "you can hide neath your lovers" ???  Overall the film doesn't commit too many sins...…...don't get me started on Bohemian Rhapsody (which incidentally I did enjoy)…….some of the liberties taken there are off the scale (and I'm both amazed and disappointed that May & Taylor signed off on some of it!!!...…..it's an insult to some of their peers!) - the biggest being the whole Live Aid thing! 

Aside from the fact that Freddie was not ill at that point, in fact he was at his peak! (indeed they would do their biggest tour ever a year later - The Magic Tour - which would see them return to Wembley Stadium for 2 nights and finish at Knebworth)…….the worst bit was portraying that they "hadn't played together in years" when in fact they had toured from August 1984 (I saw 2 shows at Wembley Arena in Aug/Sept time '84) right through until late May 1985 when the tour ended in Japan (about 6 weeks before Live Aid - and had seen them break attendance records in Jan '85 at Rock in Rio!...…...they were a band "on the road"...…..a well oiled machine (indeed the band that would fit the dialogue they portrayed in the movie would be The Who - who hadn't played since 1982 and reformed to do it - after Geldof begged them to do so!!!).

Everyone knows Queen stole the show that day for most - not many would argue with that fact - but to try to suggest that they did that when they "hadn't played together for years", and suggesting that Freddie wasn't a well man etc is embarrassing I thought, as in "that's how good we are!?"...…...I can forgive the stuff in Blinded By The Light easily when you put it up against that sort of thing!          

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

Would have been so easily overcome if Roops had handed him 3 cassettes! (third being The River obviously)……….I cant get my head around Rob Brydon's character (and he a fan in real life!) singing "you can hide neath your lovers" ???  Overall the film doesn't commit too many sins...…...don't get me started on Bohemian Rhapsody (which incidentally I did enjoy)…….some of the liberties taken there are off the scale (and I'm both amazed and disappointed that May & Taylor signed off on some of it!!!...…..it's an insult to some of their peers!) - the biggest being the whole Live Aid thing! 

Aside from the fact that Freddie was not ill at that point, in fact he was at his peak! (indeed they would do their biggest tour ever a year later - The Magic Tour - which would see them return to Wembley Stadium for 2 nights and finish at Knebworth)…….the worst bit was portraying that they "hadn't played together in years" when in fact they had toured from August 1984 (I saw 2 shows at Wembley Arena in Aug/Sept time '84) right through until late May 1985 when the tour ended in Japan (about 6 weeks before Live Aid - and had seen them break attendance records in Jan '85 at Rock in Rio!...…...they were a band "on the road"...…..a well oiled machine (indeed the band that would fit the dialogue they portrayed in the movie would be The Who - who hadn't played since 1982 and reformed to do it - after Geldof begged them to do so!!!).

Everyone knows Queen stole the show that day for most - not many would argue with that fact - but to try to suggest that they did that when they "hadn't played together for years", and suggesting that Freddie wasn't a well man etc is embarrassing I thought, as in "that's how good we are!?"...…...I can forgive the stuff in Blinded By The Light easily when you put it up against that sort of thing!          

I think Freddie is the thing most people remember about that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whispered secret said:

In the book, the first words Safraz hears Bruce sing are 'I come from down the valley...

That makes it even stranger.  Why then didn’t Sarfraz simply included The River as one of the cassettes Javad was given??  

Ha! Just saw this.  Great minds :D

2 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Would have been so easily overcome if Roops had handed him 3 cassettes! (third being The River obviously)……….     

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BruceWho said:

don't get me started on Bohemian Rhapsody (which incidentally I did enjoy)

I didn’t see it yet.  But others that have, who were huge Queen fans, said the movie was fantastic, but the inaccuracies were maddening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Still reading the book! I think the film did make a big mistake over him quoting The River when he hadn't heard it. In the book, the first words Safraz hears Bruce sing are 'I come from down the valley...

Sound of Music was my mum's favourite film Daisey.

see i would have brought right into that because the river hooked me 

i guess the important thing is Safraz and Bruce liked the movie

i suspect i will enjoy it alot more next time i see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Would have been so easily overcome if Roops had handed him 3 cassettes! (third being The River obviously)……….I cant get my head around Rob Brydon's character (and he a fan in real life!) singing "you can hide neath your lovers" ???  Overall the film doesn't commit too many sins...…...don't get me started on Bohemian Rhapsody (which incidentally I did enjoy)…….some of the liberties taken there are off the scale (and I'm both amazed and disappointed that May & Taylor signed off on some of it!!!...…..it's an insult to some of their peers!) - the biggest being the whole Live Aid thing! 

Aside from the fact that Freddie was not ill at that point, in fact he was at his peak! (indeed they would do their biggest tour ever a year later - The Magic Tour - which would see them return to Wembley Stadium for 2 nights and finish at Knebworth)…….the worst bit was portraying that they "hadn't played together in years" when in fact they had toured from August 1984 (I saw 2 shows at Wembley Arena in Aug/Sept time '84) right through until late May 1985 when the tour ended in Japan (about 6 weeks before Live Aid - and had seen them break attendance records in Jan '85 at Rock in Rio!...…...they were a band "on the road"...…..a well oiled machine (indeed the band that would fit the dialogue they portrayed in the movie would be The Who - who hadn't played since 1982 and reformed to do it - after Geldof begged them to do so!!!).

Everyone knows Queen stole the show that day for most - not many would argue with that fact - but to try to suggest that they did that when they "hadn't played together for years", and suggesting that Freddie wasn't a well man etc is embarrassing I thought, as in "that's how good we are!?"...…...I can forgive the stuff in Blinded By The Light easily when you put it up against that sort of thing!          

im glad i didn't see the Queen movie

Gary is a big fan and i suspect i know just a sliver too much to have enjoyed the movie

at least in blinded Bruce does most of the actual singing

that's a good point you and Rosie made about the River cassette 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jmw said:

I think Freddie is the thing most people remember about that day.

and my sore neck!

i remember trying to watch through the night and my parents had just got 2x     2 seater couches and i was too long to stretch out

but yes to Queen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that's a good point you and Rosie made about the River cassette 

Either that, or a line with Javad excitedly telling Roops he was inspired to listen to more... 

Gurinda is also a HUGE fan.  Plus Bruce read the script.  It’s not the biggest deal in the world, but it is something that needlessly just doesn’t make sense! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rosiejaneymary said:

Either that, or a line with Javad excitedly telling Roops he was inspired to listen to more... 

Gurinda is also a HUGE fan.  Plus Bruce read the script.  It’s not the biggest deal in the world, but it is something that needlessly just doesn’t make sense! 

if Gueinda is such a big fan why didn't she pick it up ?

i guess a movie is a huge undertaking and its just a little thing but little things matter in the big picture

im not going to read the book until ive seen the movie again 

i want to see if i can enjoy it a bit more 

i think im glad i grew up in NZ in the 80s after all even it was 20 years behind the rest of the world

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Really?  OMG... I absolutely loved him.  He cracked me up! 

I can understand that.  A lot of people don’t like musicals.  

With very few exceptions, I really love them.  

I actually OD’d my own self (every year in the movie theatre when I was very young, then every year on TV for years and years, and twice on B’way) on The Sound of Music.  

It remains one of my all time favorites.  

It’s up there with West Side Story, Guys and Dolls, The Music Man, Fiddler on the Roof (movie and B’way for all of those), and Brigadoon, among others.  And yes... surprise, surprise... I even still really love Mary Poppins.   

Yes, you need suspended belief; and yes, they can be “corny.”  No matter.  I (for the most part) love ‘em! 

i didn't find him endearing at all

and i feel bad because someone (maybe you :)) was talking about the book and they never had a falling out 

i wounder if that hurt his feelings in real life

i did find him just to be so redicoulss with that earing - but then as i just said NZ was 20 years behind the rest of the world- my school had surfer / surf life saving types and then alot of girls who had horses

socially (not politically) a very conservative town 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

if Gueinda is such a big fan why didn't she pick it up ?

 I could be wrong, but believe she and Sarfraz co wrote the script.  

Um... why didn’t Bruce pick up on it?!?!  According to Gurinda he said something like  “It’s perfect don’t change a thing.” 

Again, it’s not the biggest deal.  It certainly doesn’t change the meaning of the movie.  Just annoying to us die-hards.  

But if it didn’t bother Bruce... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i didn't find him endearing at all

and i feel bad because someone (maybe you :)) was talking about the book and they never had a falling out 

i wounder if that hurt his feelings in real life

i did find him just to be so redicoulss with that earing - but then as i just said NZ was 20 years behind the rest of the world- my school had surfer / surf life saving types and then alot of girls who had horses

socially (not politically) a very conservative town 

Not sure if we’re talking about the same character.  In the above post I meant I loved Rob Bryson, Matt’s dad.  I did like Matt as well.  Just not as much as the dad.  

Hey...I grew up in the 70s.  We had our own fashion/style challenges!  

No, from what I read, Scott, the real Matt, was fine with the movie. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another trivial point, but there's a poster on his bedroom wall.  It's the Stefanko shot of Bruce leaning on the car. As a keen collector of all things Bruce at that time,  I don't ever remember seeing one of those back in the day (that's not to say there definitely wasn't one, of course).  I'm pretty sure that shot became available around the time of the The River box in 2015.

:huh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what happened to the cricket bat ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jmw said:

I think Freddie is the thing most people remember about that day.

No argument - and rightly so (I was "there") - he owned it - he took to the stage like it was an encore after a 2 hour set. They had a lot on their side to be fair - the sound (which was appalling a lot of the time/day) kicked in for them and the volume went up a notch (it was too low for the most part, especially after having witnessed 3 great nights with Bruce a week+ before) and of course in a general crowd that wasn't anyone's audience "everyone" knew their songs AND their videos (for the hand clapping etc) - BUT - that doesn't take ANYTHING away from Freddie and how he commanded the stage and basically had the audience in the palm of his hand. I've seen Queen a lot down the years (loved "early" Queen / albums / shows) so it came as no surprise to me on the day! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I didn’t see it yet.  But others that have, who were huge Queen fans, said the movie was fantastic, but the inaccuracies were maddening.  

That is it in a nutshell - I know quite a bit about Queen (which only adds to the frustration) - some of the timeline inaccuracies you can forgive ("just") but other stuff (and as I touched on the Live Aid "lies" being the worst) are not only unforgiveable but, IMHO, just not necessary!!?...…...they could have been cooler about the whole thing (and god only knows what people like Geldof and Elton - friends & peers - must have thought about that aspect!!?) - BUT - it is a highly enjoyable movie (if you have even just a slight interest in Freddie/Queen)……..just a pity they embarrassed themselves really!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

That is it in a nutshell - I know quite a bit about Queen (which only adds to the frustration) - some of the timeline inaccuracies you can forgive ("just") but other stuff (and as I touched on the Live Aid "lies" being the worst) are not only unforgiveable but, IMHO, just not necessary!!?...…...they could have been cooler about the whole thing (and god only knows what people like Geldof and Elton - friends & peers - must have thought about that aspect!!?) - BUT - it is a highly enjoyable movie (if you have even just a slight interest in Freddie/Queen)……..just a pity they embarrassed themselves really!

Just as a P.S. on all of that - they were dealing with "Freddie's" legacy - if Freddie himself had been alive whilst such a movie was being made (much as Elton is for Rocketman) I don't think Freddie would have signed off on that aspect of the script! - I can hear him now (mockingly laughing at the others - if they were suggesting it) saying something along the lines of "we can't say that darlings, that would just be ridiculous, we were on tour up until May of that year!"   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BruceWho said:

No argument - and rightly so (I was "there") - he owned it - he took to the stage like it was an encore after a 2 hour set. They had a lot on their side to be fair - the sound (which was appalling a lot of the time/day) kicked in for them and the volume went up a notch (it was too low for the most part, especially after having witnessed 3 great nights with Bruce a week+ before) and of course in a general crowd that wasn't anyone's audience "everyone" knew their songs AND their videos (for the hand clapping etc) - BUT - that doesn't take ANYTHING away from Freddie and how he commanded the stage and basically had the audience in the palm of his hand. I've seen Queen a lot down the years (loved "early" Queen / albums / shows) so it came as no surprise to me on the day! 

Lucky you, sadly never saw Queen.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jmw said:

Lucky you, sadly never saw Queen.

Always a good night / show. First saw them at the "free" concert they did in Hyde Park Sept 1976 (43 years ago in 5 days time! Ouch!) and first indoor show was the following year at Earls Court. Have seen them about 20 times in all over the years and more than half of those with Freddie (but have gone along to Rodgers & Lambert incarnations as well). One of my favourite nights with Queen was an informal / impromptu 1 hour set they did following the shooting of the We Are The Champions video - which they ran through 4 or 5 times - in the New London Theatre, Drury Lane (Cats, War Horse etc...…….."small" place to see and hear Queen rocking out!...……...Glory Days!!!) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just finished re reading the book. I enjoyed it very much and the description of 'inspired by' rather than 'based on' is very true.

A few of the stories actually happened but most of them are an amalgamation of experiences Safraz had between the ages of 14 and 20. The one thing which surprised me (spoiler coming) is that Safraz did get to see the TOL tour and his dad actually paid for the ticket. I feel bad for Mr Manzoor Snr. that he was portrayed as someone who ripped up the ticket and I was a puzzled as to why Safraz allowed that to be portrayed in the film.

Mr Manzoor Snr. is, of course, dead so he doesn't know he was portrayed in this way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I have just finished re reading the book. I enjoyed it very much and the description of 'inspired by' rather than 'based on' is very true.

A few of the stories actually happened but most of them are an amalgamation of experiences Safraz had between the ages of 14 and 20. The one thing which surprised me (spoiler coming) is that Safraz did get to see the TOL tour and his dad actually paid for the ticket. I feel bad for Mr Manzoor Snr. that he was portrayed as someone who ripped up the ticket and I was a puzzled as to why Safraz allowed that to be portrayed in the film.

Mr Manzoor Snr. is, of course, dead so he doesn't know he was portrayed in this way.

Yeah I follow Sarfraz on twitter where he said in response to someone that he did in fact get to go to that TOL show.  “Roops” got the tickets. 

I think some scenes were created to show how far apart in generational/cultural issues he and his dad were.  To me, the tickets were a symbol of everything which his father was afraid.  Javad’s growing up and breaking with tradition, his impending freedom, his turning outside of his culture, etc... 

I was actually relieved that in ‘real life’ he and his buddy did get to go!! 

My guess is he’d be ok with it, as Mr Manzoor Sr’s portrayal was redeemed at the end! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.