WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

The scene is not really meant to be taken too seriously !

that's possibly the root of my problem 

i take everything Bruce as serouse as death 

but that's really nice you were able to connect with the story the way you were

1 hour ago, redwire said:

The depiction of the working class 80's in the UK was raw and realistic. The depiction of the kid's fandomship of Bruce on the other hand I found rather superficial and borderline cheesy. 5 out of 10 for me.

im really glad you got to see it red

half way through i was woundering when is it going to get better (lucky it did in some fashion ) 

3 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I agree, but I think even worse was what was done to the greatest, most important lyrics of Badlands. ("for the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside, that it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive...")

The most life-affirming lyrics Bruce ever wrote, are turned into a joke in this, in a world where somehow you can passionately quote/sing lyrics to bullies (in this case, racist ones), and somehow *magically* it defeats them!

That has to have been the worst moment for me in the film. I hope it doesn't continue to linger in my mind when I listen to Badlands, lessen the song for me. I don't want to picture or think of that horrendously stupid, ridiculous scene.

im glad you got to watch it but i understand exactly where your coming from 

at my school if i had said anything like that to my 3rd form (first high school year back then) tormenters i would have probably been slapped around and my head might have ended up in a drinking fountain 

2 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Exactly! The whole film is not meant to be taken too seriously. It is mostly a feel good, coming of age film which also depicts life in a pretty boring town in the 80's and the casual, unthinking racism of that time. Something I had thought was in our past, but now I ain't so sure.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

10 hours ago, MacBruce said:

The first time I saw it, the audience actually spontaneously cheered and clapped at that part! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Exactly! The whole film is not meant to be taken too seriously. It is mostly a feel good, coming of age film which also depicts life in a pretty boring town in the 80's and the casual, unthinking racism of that time. Something I had thought was in our past, but now I ain't so sure.

That’s right. In a semi serious way it also highlights how inspiration, in this case music into a young person’s life, can be life changing. I can understand how some people find some aspects of the movie somewhat cringeworthy but I do struggle with being quite so precious over the use of songs/lyrics at particular points in the movie, Thunder Road/Badlands being specific examples quoted in recent posts. It’s worth remembering that the script/storyboard for the movie was approved by Bruce without alteration and that after viewing the director’s cut of the finished movie, he gave Gurinder Chadha a hug and a kiss, and then thanked her for “handling him so sensitively”. If Bruce was happy with the use of his songs in the way they were then that’s good enough for me.

• Like 4

Not seen this film yet. I've seen the trailer. The way they talk about Springsteen. They say exactly the same kind of things I would have said back in the '80's Embarrassing. 

Really doesn't strike me as a subject that could sustain a movie over a couple of hours. Bet it's not as good as Saturday Night Fever.

Anyway, there's a particular genre of British and Irish films that I really don't get at all. Y'now the kind of movies with a very strong contemporary regional setting  - I'm thinking of films like the Full Monty (Sheffield), Letter to Breznev (Liverpool), Angels Share (Glasgow), The Commitments (Dublin) - I hate the way these films  pander to local stereotypes -y'know like repeating the same old tropes that all northerners are inarticulate but  down to earth, funny folk, all Scots and Irish are plain talking rough diamonds, all cockneys are sly lumpenproletariat types and are not be trusted (might be some truth in that last one)  etc etc Awful films. 

One exception I thought was Bend it it Like Beckham. Wasn't a great movie and I'm not particularly interested in Football but it did a good job of  genuinely acknowledging a multi cultural urban Britain much like the one I know and without falling back on regional stereotypes.

I understand Blinded was made by the same guy who made 'Bend It' so I may check it out  - but only when it becomes a 'free' watch via Netflix or Amazon Prime. 

16 minutes ago, Demos said:

I understand Blinded was made by the same guy who made 'Bend It' so I may check it out  - but only when it becomes a 'free' watch via Netflix or Amazon Prime. 

“the same guy” is actually an Asian woman, Gurinder Chadha, who’s a big Bruce fan.

• Like 3

still weird seeing people of Indian descent being called Asian ! 

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

still weird seeing people of Indian descent being called Asian ! 

:lol:

Why?

38 minutes ago, Demos said:

Not seen this film yet. I've seen the trailer. The way they talk about Springsteen. They say exactly the same kind of things I would have said back in the '80's Embarrassing. 

Really doesn't strike me as a subject that could sustain a movie over a couple of hours. Bet it's not as good as Saturday Night Fever.

Anyway, there's a particular genre of British and Irish films that I really don't get at all. Y'now the kind of movies with a very strong contemporary regional setting  - I'm thinking of films like the Full Monty (Sheffield), Letter to Breznev (Liverpool), Angels Share (Glasgow), The Commitments (Dublin) - I hate the way these films  pander to local stereotypes -y'know like repeating the same old tropes that all northerners are inarticulate but  down to earth, funny folk, all Scots and Irish are plain talking rough diamonds, all cockneys are sly lumpenproletariat types and are not be trusted (might be some truth in that last one)  etc etc Awful films. 

One exception I thought was Bend it it Like Beckham. Wasn't a great movie and I'm not particularly interested in Football but it did a good job of  genuinely acknowledging a multi cultural urban Britain much like the one I know and without falling back on regional stereotypes.

i liked Bend it like Beckham despite not enjoying soccer so you might like it

the best part was at the end when the dad was playing cricket with the locals

i havn't seen most of those movies you mentioned except the full monty

i think those regional steryotypes would have gone right over my head - im usually spending the first 20 min of the movie tunning my ear to the very broad accents

i always worry for the local inhabitants of the place where Dr Martin is filmed because they get made out to be kinda backward 

4 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Why?

oh because in this part of the world we don't consider Indian and Pakistani people as Asian

however but Mr balboa08 assured me they do actually consider them selves as part of Asia 

i suspect we may think that because most Asian nations don't play cricket ???

i dont know ???

thinking out loud ...don't hold me to it

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

however but Mr balboa08 assured me they do actually consider them selves as part of Asia 

They can consider themselves whatever they want, but geographically the countries are in Asia.

There's.......forty seven? ( mmmmm not sure of the exact number but I'm sure it's in the upper forties) countries in Asia.

What countries do you consider Asian?

4 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

They can consider themselves whatever they want, but geographically the countries are in Asia.

There's.......forty seven? ( mmmmm not sure of the exact number but I'm sure it's in the upper forties) countries in Asia.

What countries do you consider Asian?

Mr Rat are you asking in friendly conversation or do you want to single me out as some kind of generalizing casual racist ? because i feel like im walking into a trap 

i just said in complete innocent honesty that in NZ, India and Pakistan are not regarded as being Asian- i mean as i said to balboa, India is huge and they have a huge population and very diverse cultures and languages and i have always considered the subcontinent  a region in its own right

just like Australia and NZ are Australisia but can be lumped into the Pacific or even into Asia

7 hours ago, Rizla said:

Try this quiz.  Name the countries of Asia on a map.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/asia

Or - might be easier to have a go at this one first.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/markassonne/find-the-countries-of-asia

now im finding out the middle east is Asia ?

i successful located all cricket playing nations, countries associated with the Vietnam war, the Koreas, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and some others

i think if the format was different - like a whole list at the start i could do better ;)

i did not even attempt those countries i assumed must have been hidden behind the iron curtain as part of the USSR when i was at school

but that was pretty hard

but ive worked something out

maybe we look at Asia like a region rather than a continent, maybe we primary  think of Asia as our Pacific neighbours??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

now im finding out the middle east is Asia ?

i successful located all cricket playing nations, countries associated with the Vietnam war, the Koreas, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and some others

i think if the format was different - like a whole list at the start i could do better ;)

i did not even attempt those countries i assumed must have been hidden behind the iron curtain as part of the USSR when i was at school

but that was pretty hard

but ive worked something out

maybe we look at Asia like a region rather than a continent, maybe we primary  think of Asia as our Pacific neighbours??

Daisey, geographic perspective is quite interesting. Much as you perceive Asia as your Pacific neighbours, many people in Europe, Western Europe in particular, often think of Turkey from a European perspective when in fact only 3% of Turkey’s land mass is in Europe, the rest being in Asia (or more specifically Asia Minor but that’s another story).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Mr Rat are you asking in friendly conversation or do you want to single me out as some kind of generalizing casual racist ? because i feel like im walking into a trap 

i just said in complete innocent honesty that in NZ, India and Pakistan are not regarded as being Asian- i mean as i said to balboa, India is huge and they have a huge population and very diverse cultures and languages and i have always considered the subcontinent  a region in its own right

just like Australia and NZ are Australisia but can be lumped into the Pacific or even into Asia

I was just a bit bemused by what you said and didn't fully get it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Best thing is to skip the ones you're not sure of, and come back to them when you've filled in a few more.  You can turn the timer off if that's a problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

Daisey, geographic perspective is quite interesting. Much as you perceive Asia as your Pacific neighbours, many people in Europe, Western Europe in particular, often think of Turkey from a European perspective when in fact only 3% of Turkey’s land mass is in Europe, the rest being in Asia (or more specifically Asia Minor but that’s another story).

OMG there is an Asia minor ?

yes ive seen a few travel programs and docos on Turkey  - it looks a fascinating place -  i think if them as Euro also

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Best thing is to skip the ones you're not sure of, and come back to them when you've filled in a few more.  You can turn the timer off if that's a problem.

what ?

:o

you can skip the ones your not sure of and go back ?

ive been doung those darn quizzes for ages 

3 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I was just a bit bemused by what you said and didn't fully get it.

sorry Rat ;)

i wasn't meaning to get snippy

i have a heavy cold and sorry if it made me grumpy

you did make me think why do we perseve some countries being  Asian and not others ?  do we as NZ's perserve Asian people as looking a certain way  ?but maybe it's  because of geography we see alot of tourists from some Asian countries and not others

I still think just by shear size Indian people are just Indian people

i must look really hard next time we have a census and look at the ethnically options

22 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

OMG there is an Asia minor ?

yes ive seen a few travel programs and docos on Turkey  - it looks a fascinating place -  i think if them as Euro also

Here’s a map of Turkey

01DF43DB-F80D-446A-858B-D037E3F6F3C7.jpeg.5e5ed0638007679e7227f62c83adcb17.jpeg

The only bit of Turkey in Europe is the bit in the top left hand corner where Istanbul is situated. The rest is in Asia and makes up the major part of Asia Minor which also historically includes parts of the western highlands of Armenia.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hammersmith75 said:

Here’s a map of Turkey

01DF43DB-F80D-446A-858B-D037E3F6F3C7.jpeg.5e5ed0638007679e7227f62c83adcb17.jpeg

The only bit of Turkey in Europe is the bit in the top left hand corner where Istanbul is situated. The rest is in Asia and makes up the major part of Asia Minor which also historically includes parts of the western highlands of Armenia.

thats a tiny little bit in Europe

that little stretch of water must have all been land once 

Australia is so much less complicated ! 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 3:12 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

i think those regional steryotypes would have gone right over my head - im usually spending the first 20 min of the movie tunning my ear to the very broad accents.

I have to admit there are times I've started a British film over with closed captioning on so I could understand it!:unsure:

• Haha 1