Blinded By The Light (Movie)


Recommended Posts

Parcels are going to the right house number, but the wrong street. The two houses are actually only yards apart but are in completely different streets.

I have complained to Amazon and arranged to return the duplicate. Seems I have to take it to a Doddle Store, whatever the f*** one of those is!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This movie was amazing. I attended with my mom, dad, and wife, each a Bruce fan in their own way but none so much as myself. We all found different moments to cry for. My mom and wife both cried

Tickets looked so much nicer back then

I saw the movie yesterday, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Yes, cheesy at times, but that is no bad thing...  As someone roughly the same age as Sarfraz (18 in 1987), I did recognise lot of the themes

Posted Images

On 9/26/2019 at 1:17 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

glad its not just me ! :lol:

 

I wouldn't even think of NOT putting on the captions lol ..... for almost everything ( Nature shows and Sporting events excepted ) .....People had mentioned that loud rock and roll is bad for your hearing ....pffft ...what did they know :lol:

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 7:58 PM, newcastle roy said:

I eventually watched the film, never went to the pictures to see it btw 

Anyway

I found it so disappointing, such an anticlimax after all the hype

Some of the anti Springsteen quotes etc got on my nerves..Discarded Springsteen photos on the floor, no tickets sold for the Tunnel Of Love tour, music for dads  ..etc I know it was kind of a joke, it was just shit.

His mates dad at the market with the wig on was beyond cringeworthy " hide neath your lovers "  FFS ! 

The Shawshank Redemption inspired pinching of the school tannoy to play Born To Run was embarrassing, the "Fame" running through the streets that followed was painful viewing, they even hoy'd in a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid bike ride..the Madness walk made me want to punch the TV...then after all that a pig head !!! Fuckin' hell !! 

( did anyone else notice the real Javed dancing in the market ?} 

The racist stuff was glossed over as a joke, that annoyed me

Javed's relationship with his dad was the only thing that interested me, when he cried having his haircut was very moving, just about the only believable part of the movie, the Independence Day bit was ok ish.

His speech at the end nearly saved the film but it didn't

the film for me was very, very disappointing. I'm glad i didn't see it at the pictures

They just tried to hard to get every cliche crammed into the film i don't think the film went more than 5 minutes without someone saying "Bruce" 

I hate it that i hated it

 

 

 

 

 

 

Do i have to see it anyway ? Or will it just be two hours of my life i'll never get back ? :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 4:46 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Saw that this was out on DVD in Asda yesterday and I've been dreading the thought of getting this as a Christmas present since. 

Update: I've made it clear that I want nothing to do with this and nobody seems to have gotten me it, so I'm in the clear. 

Big phew. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 5:43 AM, Early North Jersey said:

Do i have to see it anyway ? Or will it just be two hours of my life i'll never get back ? :(

Wait for it to come on telly

Or if you see the dvd in the dollar bin one day

...or you night love it

Plenty of people did 

But just remember its just not factual 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, Early North Jersey said:

Do i have to see it anyway ? Or will it just be two hours of my life i'll never get back ? :(

Of course you don’t have to!  

You might hate it; or you might love it; or you might just think it’s “okay.”  

The general storyline is factually based, and as a matter of fact Sarfraz Manzoor said a lot of the dialogue between the Roops character and the Javad character were actual quotes.  

But DJ is correct, some other details aren’t factual.  

I thought it was absolutely wonderful.  Saw it 3 times, and loved it more each time.  :) 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

So glad that I'm (I think) in control as to whether I'll ever watch this cringey shite. 

I honesty think in the comoany of good people like @rosiejaneymary and friends maybe us who didn't like it so much might have enjoyed it more  as a good night out with friends

Some of JF's popcorn and milkduds, with or without adult beverages 

Maybe @Early North Jersey might enjoy watching it with Mrs ENJ just as a fun slightly cringy night in on the couch

 

 Mind you i hated Soringsteen and I

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jmw said:

I saw it with big sister and brother-in-law and we all enjoyed it.

I'm happy you and everyone else who saw it that enjoyed it, enjoyed it. I hope in response you'll all be happy at me managing to avoid watching this cringeiest of films. 

In the meantime I'll enjoy watching films such as Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo for the first time and be in awe at HOW BATSHIT MENTAL IT IS! I MEAN WOAH WHAT A TRIP!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm happy you and everyone else who saw it that enjoyed it, enjoyed it. I hope in response you'll all be happy at me managing to avoid watching this cringeiest of films. 

In the meantime I'll enjoy watching films such as Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo for the first time and be in awe at HOW BATSHIT MENTAL IT IS! I MEAN WOAH WHAT A TRIP!

Of course, never seen Vertigo, enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jmw said:

Of course, never seen Vertigo, enjoy.

Definitely worth a watch. It was voted above Citizen Kane a few years back as the greatest film ever made. I'd agree that it's better than Kane (I watched Welles' magnum opus lately and have since wondered if I need to watch other films from the 40s and earlier to 'get it') but I don't think it's Hitchcock's best film. Rear Window is superior imo. 

All of that said, Vertigo is a class watch and Jimmy Stewart is the toppest of boys, #lassothemoon 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daisey Jeep I didn’t care for a lot of Springsteen and I either. I thought some of it was really great; and some parts were okay; but some I thought were awful.  Really made me wonder how and why the creators chose those particular stories.  

Personally, I didn’t find BBTL in the least bit ‘cringey.’  I found it a lot of fun and very touching.  Then again, I love most musicals.  It’s definitely a different type of mindset.  

The ‘musical type’ scenes had me grinning from ear to ear.  And since my Bruce buds and I (and now even Mr RJM) quote Bruce lyrics all the time in our daily lives, we smiled at each other or laughed out loud (with, not at) when the characters did the same.  

I also love Hitchcock films.  So much so I took a film class in college just because he was one of the subjects studied.  While I loved Vertigo, I too liked Rear Window better @Paolo's Circus Story.  But my personal favorite was The Birds.  

As we’ve said a billion times, all Art is subjective.  Just because the majority of people love or hate something, obviously that doesn’t mean you will feel the same way.  

If you do decide to see it at some point  @Early North Jersey I really hope you like it!  Either way, let us know!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Of course you don’t have to!  

You might hate it; or you might love it; or you might just think it’s “okay.”  

The general storyline is factually based, and as a matter of fact Sarfraz Manzoor said a lot of the dialogue between the Roops character and the Javad character were actual quotes.  

But DJ is correct, some other details aren’t factual.  

I thought it was absolutely wonderful.  Saw it 3 times, and loved it more each time.  :) 

Thats a solid recommendation ...I am sure i will see it at some point ....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

Thats a solid recommendation ...I am sure i will see it at some point ....

Please don’t be mad at me if you don’t like it!!!  

In all seriousness, I know you’ve also heard from those who hated it, or didn’t like it much, or thought it was only ok, (and why!) as well as those of us who really liked or loved it.   

So you’ve had warnings/recommendations from both sides! 

I will be curious as to your take... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

@Daisey Jeep I didn’t care for a lot of Springsteen and I either. I thought some of it was really great; and some parts were okay; but some I thought were awful.  Really made me wonder how and why the creators chose those particular stories.  

Personally, I didn’t find BBTL in the least bit ‘cringey.’  I found it a lot of fun and very touching.  Then again, I love most musicals.  It’s definitely a different type of mindset.  

The ‘musical type’ scenes had me grinning from ear to ear.  And since my Bruce buds and I (and now even Mr RJM) quote Bruce lyrics all the time in our daily lives, we smiled at each other or laughed out loud (with, not at) when the characters did the same.  

I also love Hitchcock films.  So much so I took a film class in college just because he was one of the subjects studied.  While I loved Vertigo, I too liked Rear Window better @Paolo's Circus Story.  But my personal favorite was The Birds.  

As we’ve said a billion times, all Art is subjective.  Just because the majority of people love or hate something, obviously that doesn’t mean you will feel the same way.  

If you do decide to see it at some point  @Early North Jersey I really hope you like it!  Either way, let us know!! 

Maybe the fact it was a musical is why it didn't resonate with me ?:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm happy you and everyone else who saw it that enjoyed it, enjoyed it. I hope in response you'll all be happy at me managing to avoid watching this cringeiest of films. 

In the meantime I'll enjoy watching films such as Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo for the first time and be in awe at HOW BATSHIT MENTAL IT IS! I MEAN WOAH WHAT A TRIP!

There is no way to compare these two films. Blinded, light fluff. Vertigo, absolute masterpiece! Anyone who likes film should see it. It's a great film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Troublette said:

There is no way to compare these two films. Blinded, light fluff. Vertigo, absolute masterpiece! Anyone who likes film should see it. It's a great film.

Blinded by the Light dealt with serious social issues like racism, unemployment and family tensions of the mid 1980's UK of Margaret Thatcher's dreadful government.....hardly light fluff.

Yes, it was a low budget British movie which celebrated how our hero's songs and music can inspire young people and change lives, and there was quite a bit of musical fun thrown in to provide an uplifting happy experience, but there was a serious side to it and I thought the film approached these matters very well.

I agree Vertigo is a masterpiece.

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Blinded by the Light dealt with serious social issues like racism, unemployment and family tensions of the mid 1980's UK of Margaret Thatcher's dreadful government.....hardly light fluff.

Yes, it was a low budget British movie which celebrated how our hero's songs and music can inspire young people and change lives, and there was quite a bit of musical fun thrown in to provide an uplifting happy experience, but there was a serious side to it and I thought the film approached these matters very well.

 

Agree 100% 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw it yesterday.
Overall I loved it.
There were a few scenes/aspects that I found a bit cringy (most of the reciting of lyrics), and to be honest I'm not at all sure that I would think as highly of the movie if it was inspired by music I don't have a bond as strong as Bruce's with.

The best thing about the movie was how well the story and its scenes captured a lot of the themes and the soul of Bruce's music. Because of this the scenes where songs were featured elevated them and made them even more powerful than before, which is quite a feat to be honest, and a great achievement by the filmmakers.

I think I've almost never before been moved to tears as often as I was during this movie. Most often it happened during the aforementioned scenes that featured Bruce's songs at full volume and the romantic and/or sad elements of the story. I had tears running down my face both while having a big goofy smile and when feeling sad.

The movie had its flaws, but it made me tear up, it made me cheer...It made me Feel. I felt for the characters, felt a connection to their dreams, felt a longing for the beautiful romance depicted and I felt the music of Bruce Springsteen and its powerful poignancy...Straight into my heart.
I loved it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved the movie.  Very uplifting!  I'm reading the book - Greetings from Bury Park by Sarfraz Manzoor and it is darker than what the movie portrays.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I finally saw this last night in a small theatre and enjoyed it very much. I have really enjoyed ethnic British movies in the past such as 'East is East' and 'Bend it like Beckham' and despite the nasty xenophobic scenes this was funny and uplifting.Matt's father played by Rob Brydon is hilarious as a Roger Daltrey lookalike and Eliza's father Marcus Brigstocke acts like a John Cleese character. The scenes where they suddenly burst into a song and dancing routine or recite lyrics may seem a little corny but they are appropriate to defuse situations which would otherwise descend into violence. The use of the Jungleland sax solo in one scene is particularly effective. Any factual mistakes in the film are by the way and did not affect my enjoyment. The fact that Javed got into Bruce by listening to the albums, rather than hearing a couple of hits on the radio rang true to me. I would probably not have been into Bruce after merely hearing 'Dancing in the dark' or 'I'm on fire' on the radio. Instead I bought the albums, went to see the 1985 show and started collecting the live stuff.The non-Bruce music in the film is very effective too.I am on the look out for the book now.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to listen to "The Promised Land" Piano Version from this movie again. 
The beautiful part when Javed has his speech in the end of the movie. 

The music piece with the piano is amazing. 

Anyone who could find it? 

cheers, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, Marra said:

I really want to listen to "The Promised Land" Piano Version from this movie again. 
The beautiful part when Javed has his speech in the end of the movie. 

The music piece with the piano is amazing. 

Anyone who could find it? 

cheers, 

Yup .....Just went looking for it on the Soundtrack with no success. :(

Fairly typical coming of age movie i guess ....The racism stuff pissed me off .... I actually loved when it broke into a full blown musical on Thunder Road....

2.5 or 3 stars from me .... Definitely helps to like Bruce lol .... But i did connect with how much music helped me through my awkward years ...

Some interesting snippets of music i couldn't quite place ...Did they use the version of Because The Night from " The Promise" ?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.