Greasy Lake Community

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

34 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

The racism stuff pissed me off .... I actually loved when it broke into a full blown musical on Thunder Road....

It was supposed to.  And meeeeee tooooo! 

35 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

But i did connect with how much music helped me through my awkward years ...

Yup!!  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This movie was amazing. I attended with my mom, dad, and wife, each a Bruce fan in their own way but none so much as myself. We all found different moments to cry for. My mom and wife both cried

Tickets looked so much nicer back then

So I saw the film last night and I honestly haven’t cried that much at a film for a long time! (Surprise, surprise!). It was one of the most heartfelt/relatable films I’ve ever seen and it was filmed

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm tempted, but only to see how long I stand the cringe before turning it off.

Personally, I skipped several parts and just didn't think it was very good. I loved the music, but the acting and script... not so much. Give it a shot!! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fadeaway said:

Personally, I skipped several parts and just didn't think it was very good. I loved the music, but the acting and script... not so much. Give it a shot!! 

But if the music is the best thing about it, can't I just listen to it on Apple Music without watching cringey acting courtesy of a cringey script?

• Like 1
On 3/17/2020 at 4:31 AM, rachelharms said:

I’d say if you didn’t want to watch the entire movie, just watch the Jungleland scene. It’s the best part of the film and very moving. 

I loved that scene (and thought of you especially during each time I saw the film!!), but I absolutely loved the BTR scene.  

I know some thought it was cheesy, but to me it was simply 100% pure happiness and joy.  (And the TR scene cracked me right up!!) 

• Bruuuuce! 1
30 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I watched it too!

Me too!!! (4th time! 3 times in the theatre...) 

2 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

Thank you HBO!  :D 

Yes ma’am!!!  

• Like 1

I watched the film for the first time last night - took a while to explain to my kids that the racist way of life in the early 80's was a true depiction of life in major UK cities at the time.

They also were bedazzled at my knowledge of all the 80's incidental music throughout the film. :lol:

As a film it was a good use of time with the story being a traditional growing up tale that John Hughes would have been proud of - back in the day!

The intertwining of Bruce in the storyline and the passion of his music became a singalong that I'm glad we were not in the cinema for. 

Being based on a true story - and the music carried it all the way! Just like it has for many of us in real life too.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 5:43 PM, stevie54uk said:

doubt if ill bother only got to 30 mins on flight back from usa last year, not my cup of tea at all, unless i fancy forty winks

finally watched it  all at the weekend and  actually enjoyed it, the uk really was a horrible place back then, in parts has it really changed??

Not fair to say the UK was a horrible place then. Black Americans were a lot more welcome in the UK then they were in the U.S. In the punk years in Britain white and black kids were colour blind at gigs, hugged and drank beer and rum together in a way that was rare in the US in 1977.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, NorthSideJimmy said:

Not fair to say the UK was a horrible place then. Black Americans were a lot more welcome in the UK then they were in the U.S. In the punk years in Britain white and black kids were colour blind at gigs, hugged and drank beer and rum together in a way that was rare in the US in 1977.

after years of thatcherism believe you me the 1980s were not pleasant, miners strikes, battle of orgreave, wapping, brixton riots,  didnt have to be racism to make it horrible, also i would say one of the great things about music is its lack of racism compared to general life

• Like 2

Got the Blu-Ray a while ago and watched it for the second time last week-end....also saw it at the cinema when it first came out last summer.

Still think it's a really good movie. Uplifting, sad at times, fun, and moving.....a bit like a Bruce concert. Well acted and a great message.

• Like 1

I stumbled upon this last night on an HBO channel. I thought, “Well, let’s at least give this a shot.” I heard a Springsteen song in the background while the character started speaking the lyrics to a girl (can’t remember the song), I winced, made an audible groan, and switched it off. I gave it a total of possibly 4 seconds. Those 4 seconds looked like the exact reason I had no desire to see it.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I stumbled upon this last night on an HBO channel. I thought, “Well, let’s at least give this a shot.” I heard a Springsteen song in the background while the character started speaking the lyrics to a girl (can’t remember the song), winced and made an audible groan, and switched it off. I gave it a total of possibly 4 seconds. Those 4 seconds looked like the exact reason I had no desire to see it.

Cool story. In context that is supposed to be awkward, but you do you.

39 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

Cool story. In context that is supposed to be awkward, but you do you.

Fantastic.

Let me ask you this since I assume from your response you liked the movie. Would you have liked the movie if it revolved around bad music (for instance, Phil Collins) or do you think the story stood on its own?