WKE066

Blinded By The Light (Movie)

Only just watched this on Amazon prime.

Apologies in advance, without trawling through 37 pages for the answer why are the lyrics different for the promised land (written on screen)? If 'I could wrench one moment..' - Is it a different version or something? Couldn't find the answer on Google. Cheers.

45 minutes ago, Blueburton said:

Only just watched this on Amazon prime.

Apologies in advance, without trawling through 37 pages for the answer why are the lyrics different for the promised land (written on screen)? If 'I could wrench one moment..' - Is it a different version or something? Couldn't find the answer on Google. Cheers.

"Wrench" is in the actual lyric in the original song. Bruce has just missed it out during subsequent live performances.

11 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

"Wrench" is in the actual lyric in the original song. Bruce has just missed it out during subsequent live performances.

Fascinating! Can't believe I've missed that for 20+ years. I assume I've missed it due to it being a variation in chorus and not printed on the album insert?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

FINALLY got round to watching this and I thought it was absolutely wonderful.

Totally charming movie with a few different layers to it, perhaps tended towards the twee and formulaic in places but none the poorer for that.

I thought it captured the bleak nastiness of Thatcher's 80s Britain well.

The much maligne "musical" sequence I liked.

I thought it was a nod to Bollywood.

In my limited experience of Bollywood movies they do seem to randomly and briefly become musicals on occasion.

Also, during this bit there were nods to other genres, the guy body popping (or whatever), the Madness walk, the Monkees walk ....... 

I thought this was a good hearted, entertaining movie.

that's a good point about Bollywood 

I actually was given this as a Xmas Gift, via the office xmas bran tub thing....

i thought it was the biggest load of garbage ive ever seen, embarrassing throughout.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

I actually was given this as a Xmas Gift, via the office xmas bran tub thing....

i thought it was the biggest load of garbage ive ever seen, embarrassing throughout.  

Think yourself lucky. I paid to watch it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

well it was a nice thought by someone ....

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well it was a nice thought by someone ....

yes of course, and in fairness, knowing my love of all things Bruce, it was a good pick I guess....

15 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

yes of course, and in fairness, knowing my love of all things Bruce, it was a good pick I guess....

im actually a bit with you and Eileen on this one ...but maybe if we had seen the movie in company and with alcohol it could have been fun 

36 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

im actually a bit with you and Eileen on this one ...but maybe if we had seen the movie in company and with alcohol it could have been fun 

Even a couple of w & o's wouldn't have numbed my thoughts of how poorly it was made.

Pleasant in parts but, having heard the author of the book it's based on telling us at The Fringe about his life, it was mostly 'Oh dear'. For me.

While I like Rob on Would I Lie To You? - well, goodness me … :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

FINALLY got round to watching this and I thought it was absolutely wonderful.

Totally charming movie with a few different layers to it, perhaps tended towards the twee and formulaic in places but none the poorer for that.

I thought it captured the bleak nastiness of Thatcher's 80s Britain well.

The much maligne "musical" sequence I liked.

I thought it was a nod to Bollywood.

In my limited experience of Bollywood movies they do seem to randomly and briefly become musicals on occasion.

Also, during this bit there were nods to other genres, the guy body popping (or whatever), the Madness walk, the Monkees walk ....... 

I thought this was a good hearted, entertaining movie.

exactly couldnt put it better myself although some people think 80s Britain werent that bad

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

exactly couldnt put it better myself although some people think 80s Britain werent that bad

cool...i was searching for the sick bucket after about 5 minutes......

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

cool...i was searching for the sick bucket after about 5 minutes......

maybe too much chicken

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

The film didn't even come close to showing how bad they were. It was 'fluff'.

• Like 2

A thought : it isn't made for the already-converted but for the general public to whom Bruce Springsteen is Dancing In The Dark and Rob Bryson is a bigger name. Whether you like its tone or not, it isn't a badly made film technically and it observes a mash up of conventions of Bollywood, film musicals and rom coms. You might not like it or have enjoyed it - I found it harmless enough - but it seems a lot of folk are criticising it essentially for not reflecting their vision of Springsteen's music or the seriousness with which they might view his work. This isn't a film about Springsteen; it's a film that uses his music and life ethos - generally reasonably successfully - to tell a simple narrative of teenage self-development amidst cultural churning. That it crosses racial bridges - often fairly clunkily - is enough to give the use of the music a pass.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jay777 said:

and Rob Bryson is a bigger name. 

Was he in it, too? ;) Bill's younger brother?

4 hours ago, Jay777 said:

A thought : it isn't made for the already-converted but for the general public to whom Bruce Springsteen is Dancing In The Dark and Rob Bryson is a bigger name. Whether you like its tone or not, it isn't a badly made film technically and it observes a mash up of conventions of Bollywood, film musicals and rom coms. You might not like it or have enjoyed it - I found it harmless enough - but it seems a lot of folk are criticising it essentially for not reflecting their vision of Springsteen's music or the seriousness with which they might view his work. This isn't a film about Springsteen; it's a film that uses his music and life ethos - generally reasonably successfully - to tell a simple narrative of teenage self-development amidst cultural churning. That it crosses racial bridges - often fairly clunkily - is enough to give the use of the music a pass.

your right it was harmless entertainment

but i really really enjoyed bend it like Beckham ....mind you im in no way a soccer fan 

10 hours ago, Eileen said:

Even a couple of w & o's wouldn't have numbed my thoughts of how poorly it was made.

Pleasant in parts but, having heard the author of the book it's based on telling us at The Fringe about his life, it was mostly 'Oh dear'. For me.

While I like Rob on Would I Lie To You? - well, goodness me … :D

Rob is good on Would I Lie To You, along with the other two regulars, and also very good as a stand-up, but I too found his character (and quite a lot of the film) extremely cringe worthy. I think he's actually a big fan of Bruce.

The film does have the odd moving scene, but as an earlier poster mentioned, not as good as Bend it Like Beckham, which is of a similar style.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mariasbed said:

Rob is good on Would I Lie To You, along with the other two regulars, and also very good as a stand-up, but I too found his character (and quite a lot of the film) extremely cringe worthy. I think he's actually a big fan of Bruce.

The film does have the odd moving scene, but as an earlier poster mentioned, not as good as Bend it Like Beckham, which is of a similar style.

It's interesting - there's a little cabal of British actors who are huge Springsteen fans and often slip it into their work - Gervais (used BTR in The Office and Cemetery Junction is very influenced by Bruce); Stephen Merchant is a massive Bruce fan and is on record talking about him, always at gigs; Brydon slipped him in to one of The Trips and again is always at gigs; Toby Jones is a massive fan and regular at gigs. No doubt people can think of others. What's interesting is all of them go back to the relatively early days and seem to have started their fandom between 81 and 84.

10 hours ago, mariasbed said:

It's interesting - there's a little cabal of British actors who are huge Springsteen fans and often slip it into their work - Gervais (used BTR in The Office and Cemetery Junction is very influenced by Bruce); Stephen Merchant is a massive Bruce fan and is on record talking about him, always at gigs; Brydon slipped him in to one of The Trips and again is always at gigs; Toby Jones is a massive fan and regular at gigs. No doubt people can think of others. What's interesting is all of them go back to the relatively early days and seem to have started their fandom between 81 and 84.

15 hours ago, Jay777 said:

Funny how you never hear of little fans. 

• Haha 1

Because presumably being a fan implies a level of enthusiasm that is beyond the minor?

On 4/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, Jertucky said:

Would you have liked the movie if it revolved around bad music (for instance, Phil Collins) or do you think the story stood on its own?

Oh :(

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, -Sussudio- said:

Oh :(

i know :(

poor old Phil