NoSurrender81

Bruce Springsteen Announces New Western Stars Film

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/bruce-springsteen-director-concert-film-western-stars-1202160168/

Bailey, however, shared that the film is more than just a standard concert film: those “other things” Springsteen hinted at earlier this year seem to have resulted in an inventive-sounding take on the genre, one that Zimny and The Boss have already had success in together.

“It’s largely performance, but there is a framing to it,” Bailey said. “It’s very filmic, which is what attracted me. The album and the film are both about this fading Western movie B-level star who’s looking back on his life and the decisions he’s made. That narrative and that character shape all the songs.”

The style sounds similar to Springsteen’s recently wrapped Broadway show, which saw the singer and songwriter performing his biggest hits and interspersing them with longer monologues about their creation and place in his life, both personal and professional. With “Western Stars,” however, Zimny and Springsteen have also threaded in a new narrative.

“In between the songs, you’ve got Bruce really talking about this character he invented, the story he wrote for the character, and how it reflects back on his own life as he ages and other kind of narratives he’s had in his previous albums,” Bailey said.

“Western Stars” is one of many hot acquisition titles at the festival, and Bailey shared that many distributors have “expressed interest already.” The film will premiere in the Galas section of the festival in September.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Wow, September, that's earlier than I thought.

Thought we'd be waiting until December.

Now let's see how long it takes for a release to the public (Blu-ray, DVD, Netflix <-- probably this one.)

• Like 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't much to suggest a "Tracks 2" announcement/release to coincide with this film. I don't see why Bruce, who said he plans on recording a new E Street album in the fall or spring, just flooding the market with even more music, especially if an inevitable BitUSA box set would be on the horizon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Even hitting the Toronto film festival, that is cool.

Now just have to figure out how to get a ticket - looks like the Toronto international Film Festival will be the premiere! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kburke said:

Now just have to figure out how to get a ticket - looks like the Toronto international Film Festival will be the premiere! 

I haven’t  been to TIFF in years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicholas said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't much to suggest a "Tracks 2" announcement/release to coincide with this film. I don't see why Bruce, who said he plans on recording a new E Street album in the fall or spring, just flooding the market with even more music, especially if an inevitable BitUSA box set would be on the horizon.

Walter Winchell Jr. there likes to make announcements on rumors and basically just things he simply wishes for (and who wouldn't love a Tracks 2? They could even just issue all the songs they dropped when changing it from a much larger box to four discs if time-saving/easier).

There's no way of knowing that any box set will come out (though Born In The USA seems a given), but the only thing confirmed is the Western Stars video.

I was gonna post about it but even though I like the album and have There Goes My Miracle stuck in my head I viewed the video in a cynical manner (monetary), and waited for someone more enthusiastic to post about it, and so Rachel Harms did a day or two later.

There is nothing to suggest a Tracks 2 coming out soon. I would not be surprised to see it after the next tour, but there's no guarantee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I haven’t  been to TIFF in years. 

I’ve never been. 

4 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Walter Winchell Jr. there (NS81) likes to make announcements on rumors and basically just things he simply wishes for (and who wouldn't love a Tracks 2? They could even just issue all the songs they dropped when changing it from a much larger box to four discs).

There's no way of knowing that any box set will come out (though Born In The USA seems a given), but the only thing confirmed is the Western Stars video.

I was gonna post about it but even though I like the album and have There Goes My Miracle stuck in my head I viewed the video in a cynical manner (monetary), and waited for someone more enthusiastic to post about it, and so Rachel Harms did a day or two later.

There is nothing to suggest a Tracks 2 coming out soon. I would not be surprised to see it after the next tour, but there's no guarantee.

Very reliable sources that are always correct have confirmed a box set is coming this fall. Springsteen dummer gary mallaber has said he was told that tracks he recorded will be out on that box set this fall as confirmed to him from Bruce Inc. 

This is not just a wish in my imagination 

35 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Wow, September, that's earlier than I thought.

Thought we'd be waiting until December.

Now let's see how long it takes for a release to the public (Blu-ray, DVD, Netflix <-- probably this one.)

Would love a blu ray but expect streaming provider starting from Xmas period. 

Hmm - not sure what to make of this announcement, can't decide good or bad. As for tracks 2, can't see it happening this year.

29 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Would love a blu ray but expect streaming provider starting from Xmas period. 

Fuck that, Hitch Hikin' to Toronto it is!

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

Figured I'd make a "bootleg" cover for Western Stars Live

image.png.134f93b1bead34c90a2812f53a63c316.png

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 4

56 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Haha, can I come?  It's a hour a way from my hometown, Kitchener-Waterloo.

Marilla is there too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilbud said:

That's a long way from Northampton ^_^

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On the news when they were announcing the TIFF line-up and  that Bruce would be there, there was a follow up where I heard the words,”famous musician”, and other superlatives, I naturally thought they were talking about our man, but became confused when they said that he was raised on a Six Nations Reserve in Ontario.  :wacko: They were taking about Robbie Robertson. But, according to this, Bruce makes an appearance in that doc, as well. 

https://www.tiff.net/the-review/tiff-19-opening-night-gala

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band blends rare archival footage, photography, iconic songs, and interviews with some of Robertson’s friends and collaborators — including Scorsese, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Peter Gabriel, Taj Mahal, Dominique Robertson, and Ronnie Hawkins — to explore the six-decade career of the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer behind anthems like “The Weight,” “Up on Cripple Creek,” and “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Haha, can I come?  It's a hour a way from my hometown, Kitchener-Waterloo.

Marilla is there too!

8 hour drive from Jersey, so thats a no.

• Sad 1

I would think Bruce will show up for this, since it’s a world premiere and he’s key to the film.  And he likes events, from what I can tell.  (And it’s only an hour flight from NJ)  

I’m buying a TIFF membership as we speak, to hopefully get a ticket — members get early access to ticket sales, according to the festival organizers.  

• Bruuuuce! 2

12 minutes ago, Kburke said:

I would think Bruce will show up for this, since it’s a world premiere and he’s key to the film.  And he likes events, from what I can tell.  (And it’s only an hour flight from NJ)  

I’m buying a TIFF membership as we speak, to hopefully get a ticket — members get early access to ticket sales, according to the festival organizers.  

Which category? It's kind of confusing (when I am pretending to work rolleye113wb.gif)

• Like 1

Great news...but I really do hope the new ESB album is still on the cards.

Really want to see a full band tour in 2020 behind a new record.

• Like 1