NoSurrender81

Bruce Springsteen Announces New Western Stars Film

10 hours ago, lilbud said:

I'm calling it now.

The second screening, the film will end and the screen will go up. It reveals Bruce and a small Orchestra to do a small set of Bruce staples. Southside Johnny is there for some godforsaken reason.

You mean John, Bruce's pal from waaaay back? The man who's as much 'New Jersey' (if not more to the locals) as Bruce? :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eileen said:

You mean John, Bruce's pal from waaaay back? The man who's as much 'New Jersey' (if not more to the locals) as Bruce? :D

It's not a film about New Jersey, is it? :D

To a non-local like me New Jersey is "Bruce Springsteen", not the other way around.

1 minute ago, TheBoss said:

It's not a film about New Jersey, is it? :D

To a non-local like me New Jersey is "Bruce Springsteen", not the other way around.

I take it Bruce has agreed to Johnny being there? Go tell him he's made a mistake. ;)

• Haha 1

This takes me back to when I used to go to a lot of Jukes' concerts in the 90s. Most of the fans couldn't have given thruppence for Bruce - Southside was the draw.  It was while I was a member of the Southside Forum that I first heard of the Lake.

:D Bit like Newcastle/Sunderland, Beatles/Stones etc etc.

All good fun.

7 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Great stuff, well done and well done on the choice of husband!! Are you going with the same friend to see Adam Ant? In the light of comments made about Bruce looking old, or 70 whichever way one prefers to put it, how is Adam looking? Not sure how old he is. 

Yep, Nick is wonderful.  It’s a different friend I’m taking for the Adam tour than for Bruce.  

Adam is turning 65 this year.  His current shows are amazing.  He’s trim, voice is in great shape, and he moves constantly so it’s hard to get a good still shot of him. (That first shot is not one of mine.)  I think he’s aging well - great skin, but of course he colours his hair too, and is pretty bald so always wears a bandana and hat. 

I come over to the UK every so often to tour around with friends to see some of his shows.  (November this year, woot woot!).

115EDAB8-3ABB-4331-B9E4-D4EA1C789D89.jpeg

929EE826-AF95-4895-BC51-B5728BF7677C.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

I take it Bruce has agreed to Johnny being there? Go tell him he's made a mistake. ;)

I didn't say (or mean) it was a mistake of Bruce  if he agreed to Johnny being there to ride his coattails. :)My point is that as far as I am concerned Johnny being "New Jersey" in the eyes of the locals is besides the point.:) Johnny isn't in the film, is he? :unsure:

3 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

I didn't say (or mean) it was a mistake of Bruce  if he agreed to Johnny being there to ride his coattails. :)My point is that as far as I am concerned Johnny being "New Jersey" in the eyes of the locals is besides the point.:) Johnny isn't in the film, is he? :unsure:

I've no idea.

Is the bit with Johnny in one of the trailers on here?

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

Hi.  Local here.  I even lived in Belmar on 10th Ave, two blocks from the boardwalk for a few years in the 80s.  North Jersey for most of my life, but can’t get more ‘local’ than 10th Ave in Belmar... 

I’ve seen SS probably 40+ times since he first started performing.  My favorite New Years Eve was hearing SS at the Stone Pony in 1980something  (where after the 10,9,8... countdown, the DJ played BTR at midnight and the entire place went absolutely NUTS).  

So I am a fan.  A big fan.  Love SS, and yes, he is very ‘Jersey.’

Let me put your mind at ease... for as long as I can remember, Bruce’s appearance at any SS show was always anticipated.  Still is.  I saw him about a year ago in a tiny venue in Englewood, NJ (where it was crowded, but not sold out) and there were more ‘Bruce’ shirts than Jukes shirts; and people were STILL talking about ‘Bruce showing up.’ 

They don’t do it much anymore, but back in the day, it would actually be uncomfortable the way so many would ‘Bruuuuuuuuuuce!’ in between songs.  

No question, SS is beloved.  He is certainly considered one of the ‘sounds of the Jersey shore.’  

He might even preferred over Bruce by some.  

But let me assure you, to a local like myself; and everyone else I know... it’s Bruce all day, every day.  Always was, is, and will be.  

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 4

So ........Jon Bon Jovi......where does he fit in?

Thoughts? :D

Popcorn_Box-vi.gif

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

So ........Jon Bon Jovi......where does he fit in?

Thoughts? :D

Popcorn_Box-vi.gif

The discount bin at Five Below

I saw Southside many times back in the late 70s early 80s.  Fantastic shows and I had some of my best times at them.  They were definitely very popular in Jersey then and when Hearts of Stone came out.  We all expected big things from the band.  But they never got the national following after that for whatever reason, so they stayed pretty much a local band.  Unfortunately they missed the ride.

Sure, SS is 'Jersey' along with many other artists.  But nothing is more Jersey or will ever be more Jersey than Bruce.  Not even Bon Jovi.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I saw Southside many times back in the late 70s early 80s.  Fantastic shows and I had some of my best times at them.  They were definitely very popular in Jersey then and when Hearts of Stone came out.  We all expected big things from the band.  But they never got the national following after that for whatever reason, so they stayed pretty much a local band.  Unfortunately they missed the ride.

Sure, SS is 'Jersey' along with many other artists.  But nothing is more Jersey or will ever be more Jersey than Bruce.  Not even Bon Jovi.

Amen sister friend! 

• Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Hi.  Local here.  I even lived in Belmar on 10th Ave, two blocks from the boardwalk for a few years in the 80s.  North Jersey for most of my life, but can’t get more ‘local’ than 10th Ave in Belmar... 

I’ve seen SS probably 40+ times since he first started performing.  My favorite New Years Eve was hearing SS at the Stone Pony in 1980something  (where after the 10,9,8... countdown, the DJ played BTR at midnight and the entire place went absolutely NUTS).  

Let me put your mind at ease... for as long as I can remember, Bruce’s appearance at any SS show was always anticipated.  Still is.  I saw him about a year ago in a tiny venue in Englewood, NJ (where it was crowded, but not sold out) and there were more ‘Bruce’ shirts than Jukes shirts; and people were STILL talking about ‘Bruce showing up.’ 

They don’t do it much anymore, but back in the day, it would actually be uncomfortable the way so many would ‘Bruuuuuuuuuuce!’ in between songs.  

No question, SS is beloved.  He is certainly considered one of the ‘sounds of the Jersey shore.’  

But let me assure you, to a local like myself; and everyone else I know... it’s Bruce all day, every day.  Always was, is, and will be.  

My mind was never in any danger but at ease. :D

I liked Southside Johnny back in the '70's and early '80's, then the world moved on and evolved. Johnny didn't. His music wasn't exactly "modern" even when he made his first albums. He has a good voice, but is no songwriter and seems to lack any artistic vison or abiltiy to take a step outside that musical formula. In my opinion there's nothing original about him. Maybe SSJ being so predictable, reliable and "artless" is part of his appeal on some "local" people?

7 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

that makes me feel a bit sorry for Southside, people turning up expecting/wanting Bruce

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheBoss said:
10 hours ago, TheBoss said:

My mind was never in any danger but at ease. :D

I liked Southside Johnny back in the '70's and early '80's, then the world moved on and evolved. Johnny didn't. His music wasn't exactly "modern" even when he made his first albums. He has a good voice, but is no songwriter and seems to lack any artistic vison or abiltiy to take a step outside that musical formula. In my opinion there's nothing original about him. Maybe SSJ being so predictable, reliable and "artless" is part of his appeal on some "local" people?

I've made a mess of quoting - too early - but have you heard of Hearts of Stone, an early album by Southside and the Lads?

Who wrote most of the songs on that album? Take a look at the music you're dissing.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yes. Thank you. I was a bit surprised to read a complete misconception about the way Jersey people perceive Southside Johnny from someone who professes such an affinity with him.

30 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Yes. Thank you. I was a bit surprised to read a complete misconception about the way Jersey people perceive Southside Johnny from someone who professes such an affinity with him.

Good morning!

As I said, I was a member of the Southside Forum and knocked about with people who liked Bruce but loved Southside and the Jukes.

Also, it's tradition for me to say that Southside is as, if not more, important than Bruce to many people. If you also see the 'All good fun' or whatever I put somewhere … that's what it's meant to be.

It's not meant to be so serious.

However … when someone says his early music isn't very good … well … Steven wrote most of it with Bruce a close second. Now THAT has to be commented on very seriously. :D

I don't know that much about SSJ and have only seen him once, so I am clearly no expert.

However, I find it a bit odd that anyone on a Bruce forum thinks SSJ is as important as Bruce???

I know we have members who think The Beatles, Dylan, The Who are as important, but SSJ -99% of the public have probably never heard of him.

2 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I don't know that much about SSJ and have only seen him once, so I am clearly no expert.

However, I find it a bit odd that anyone on a Bruce forum thinks SSJ is as important as Bruce???

I know we have members who think The Beatles, Dylan, The Who are as important, but SSJ -99% of the public have probably never heard of him.

Odd?

I find THAT odd. :) But I'd accept it as being the opinion of a fellow-Laker who's obviously here because of her love of Bruce.

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

Odd?

I find THAT odd. :) But I'd accept it as being the opinion of a fellow-Laker who's obviously here because of her love of Bruce.

Yes, odd. Obviously you prefer SSJ to Bruce, which I get totally. It's the claim that he is more important I find odd, unless you just mean more important to you personally. Bruce is one of the most influential writers and performers in rock music history, SSJ is an also ran.

Still.......Jon Bon Jovi, eh?

He's the kiddie!

Just now, whispered secret said:

Yes, odd. Obviously you prefer SSJ to Bruce, which I get totally. It's the claim that he is more important I find odd, unless you just mean more important to you personally. Bruce is one of the most influential writers and performers in rock music history, SSJ is an also ran.

Why the need to diss Southside? You've said elsewhere - on one of the threads about Bruce's songs - that you find it difficult to accept that other people's opinions differ from yours - this is yet another example.

It's not a serious claim … it is a FACT that many people over there and over here prefer the Jukes to Bruce … a fact I found difficult to understand back in 1992 when I was told this. I'd expected everybody to be at a Jukes' show because of Bruce … not so and the man I mentioned this to was gracious enough to put me right … nicely.

Overall … Bruce is more widely known and his importance to the world of music is greater. Why did Lorraine say oh-ohh (or similar)? She knew that, if I was about, I'd offer my opinion on the matter … tradition … fun.

I've met Southside several times and have exchanged emails … heck, I was FOTM (Fan of the month) over on their Board … to the disgruntlement of many as I was a newbie … a Bruce fan … how dare I be FOTM on a Jukes' Board?

I see Rat has contributed with the same JBJ bit.

No matter which Board you're a member of … you encounter the same stuff.

You've got to love the internet, eh?

• Like 1

Annie Wilkes was the Paul Sheldon Fan Club fan of the month.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Annie Wilkes was the Paul Sheldon Fan Club fan of the month.

I was very embarrassed to be chosen - although extremely pleased as to who I think decided - I got what I expected from some fans but many were welcoming.

Bit like here … some are welcoming, some are not. Such is life.