NoSurrender81

Bruce Springsteen Announces New Western Stars Film

I am not dissing SSJ. I enjoyed his show very much and I am sure there are some people who prefer him to Bruce. The point I am making is that in terms of the history of rock music Bruce is a Titan, SSJ isn't. 

I misunderstood your 'bit of fun'. If you weren't meant to be taken seriously, then please accept my apologies.

4 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I am not dissing SSJ. I enjoyed his show very much and I am sure there are some people who prefer him to Bruce. The point I am making is that in terms of the history of rock music Bruce is a Titan, SSJ isn't. 

I misunderstood your 'bit of fun'. If you weren't meant to be taken seriously, then please accept my apologies.

That's why I said it early on - I know that some may take things as they see it, not as it's meant.

Saying anyone is an also-ran (is that the term you used?) is dissing. :D Especially when Bruce has stated that Johnny's voice was amongst the best he'd ever heard. I thanked Steven for what he'd done for Johnny - music - and he was quick to say that it was he who was thankful that Johnny is still touring, keeping his and Bruce's music out there. Steven also says the same during his concerts and is why they play the songs that 'most' people there associate with the Jukes in one section.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I see Rat has contributed with the same JBJ bit.

No matter which Board you're a member of … you encounter the same stuff.

You've got to love the internet, eh?

Ah, here's t'internet police.

Bit of humour attempted (which was previously positively responded to by an actual NJ resident for what that's worth).

For the record, I think JBJ is a gobshite, for NFL reasons rather than anything musical.

(Mr seat in Kraft's exec box, Patriots superfan having previously professed to "Bleed Giants' Blue".)

But I digress........

20 hours ago, Eileen said:

This takes me back to when I used to go to a lot of Jukes' concerts in the 90s. Most of the fans couldn't have given thruppence for Bruce - Southside was the draw.  It was while I was a member of the Southside Forum that I first heard of the Lake.

:D Bit like Newcastle/Sunderland, Beatles/Stones etc etc.

All good fun.

Bruce t shirt wearers at South's concerts. Never understood that one.

• Haha 1

I assume your comment about me finding it hard to accept others opinions on particular songs refers to the discussion on the line from Racing. I think the word I used was shocked or surprised, simply because that line had always been amongst my favourites. The discussion which followed was interesting and made me look at the line again. Rizla & I agreed that we would never change each other's minds and we left it there. Polite and friendly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Ah, here's t'internet police.Bit of humour attempted (which was previously positively responded to by an actual NJ resident for what that's worth).

I didn't say it wasn't funny - I smiled when I read it in the other thread.

Wel, I can certainly understand your embarrassment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

I've made a mess of quoting - too early - but have you heard of Hearts of Stone, an early album by Southside and the Lads?

Who wrote most of the songs on that album? Take a look at the music you're dissing.

Absolutely LOVE the Southside section of Steven's recent tours. He says something to the effect of, "thanks to Southside Johnny for keeping my music alive while I was fucking around being a gangster on TV."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, whispered secret said:

I assume your comment about me finding it hard to accept others opinions on particular songs refers to the discussion on the line from Racing. I think the word I used was shocked or surprised, simply because that line had always been amongst my favourites. The discussion which followed was interesting and made me look at the line again. Rizla & I agreed that we would never change each other's minds and we left it there. Polite and friendly.

I think that's a recent thread? No, from when songs on WS were discussed. Just that I'm picked up for my political views, tributes to the fallen and now this … bit of a pattern. Seems one can't be a Bruce fan if one doesn't 'comply'.  (only in the eyes of some, thankfully) Now THAT'S odd.

I rarely 'comply', especially under duress, and doubt I ever will.

7 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Bruce t shirt wearers at South's concerts. Never understood that one.

How about they buy an actual SSJ t shirt and throw some money his way?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Eileen said:

That's why I said it early on - I know that some may take things as they see it, not as it's meant.

Saying anyone is an also-ran (is that the term you used?) is dissing. :D Especially when Bruce has stated that Johnny's voice was amongst the best he'd ever heard. I thanked Steven for what he'd done for Johnny - music - and he was quick to say that it was he who was thankful that Johnny is still touring, keeping his and Bruce's music out there. Steven also says the same during his concerts and is why they play the songs that 'most' people there associate with the Jukes in one section.

Yes, an also ran. In my opinion that is not dissing him in the terms of which I am speaking. I can think of many also rans in many genres - doesn't mean they are not good. The arts throw up Titans (Sorry can't think of a better word) who have huge influence and I believe Bruce is one of these, that is the point I was making.

28 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Annie Wilkes was the Paul Sheldon Fan Club fan of the month.

You’re close to exceeding your Misery reference quota now.

Anyone would think you were an author.

Well, anyone except the big five publishing houses.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You’re close to exceeding your Misery reference quota now.

Anyone would think you were an author.

Hey, that brings us back to the Bruce/James Caan thing. Spooky. Dark forces at work.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I think that's a recent thread? No, from when songs on WS were discussed. Just that I'm picked up for my political views, tributes to the fallen and now this … bit of a pattern. Seems one can't be a Bruce fan if one doesn't 'comply'.  (only in the eyes of some, thankfully) Now THAT'S odd.

I rarely 'comply', especially under duress, and doubt I ever will.

I don't expect anyone to comply.

I do not disrespect your views on the fallen. I have respect for anyone who has sacrificed their lives for their country.

I have tried hard not to disrespect your political views either, although I disagree with you most of the time.

I try to put my points of view across by being polite and, sometimes, tongue in cheek. If I don't succeed in this, then I am sorry. I am not deliberately trying to offend or pick on anybody.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Hey, that brings us back to the Bruce/James Caan thing. Spooky. Dark forces at work.

I’ve also just realised it wasn’t Jersey who made the other Misery reference!

Bollocks.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I’ve also just realised it wasn’t Jersey who made the other Misery reference!

I don't mind sharing that with Promise. Misery loves company.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

Are you a bigger SSJ fan than Bruce fan would you say?

Not a leading question by the way. Just interested. 

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

I thanked Steven for what he'd done for Johnny

Are you Southside's mother or something?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TheBoss said:

My mind was never in any danger but at ease. :D

I liked Southside Johnny back in the '70's and early '80's, then the world moved on and evolved. Johnny didn't. His music wasn't exactly "modern" even when he made his first albums. He has a good voice, but is no songwriter and seems to lack any artistic vison or abiltiy to take a step outside that musical formula. In my opinion there's nothing original about him. Maybe SSJ being so predictable, reliable and "artless" is part of his appeal on some "local" people?

6 hours ago, Eileen said:

I've made a mess of quoting - too early - but have you heard of Hearts of Stone, an early album by Southside and the Lads?

Who wrote most of the songs on that album? Take a look at the music you're dissing.

Isn't that the point though?   Seems to me that the SSJ songs people enjoy most are those written by Bruce and/or Steve.
I wouldn't know though, I've never seen SSJ and don't have any of his albums.

26 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Isn't that the point though?   Seems to me that the SSJ songs people enjoy most are those written by Bruce and/or Steve.

Can only speak for myself.  While I do love a lot of SS’s ‘other’ songs, my faves are definitely the Bruce/Stevie ones.   

4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I don't mind sharing that with Promise. Misery loves company.

Ooh, you're sharp.

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Fair point, well made.

But I have to say, having seen SSJ many many times over the years, the most goose bumpy moments have been versions of Walk Away Renee, Without Love and Paris. None of which were written by the Grimmer Twins.

• Love Love Love! 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Can only speak for myself.  While I do love a lot of SS’s ‘other’ songs, my faves are definitely the Bruce/Stevie ones.   

Mine, too.

As well as the ones Paul mentioned above.

Paris. *sigh*