NoSurrender81

Bruce Springsteen Announces New Western Stars Film

1 minute ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Hopefully that means DVD/BR in due course, much better than the Netflix option.

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to this. And I'm also looking forward to the day when I can watch a Western Stars/Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood double feature in my home theater! I feel like Bruce's broken characters fit really well with Tarantino's.

57 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

Sounds like a cinema showing from what I've seen. Filmed with a full orchestra I'm beyond excited about this!!

I can't believe it's getting a theatrical release.  I'm beyond pumped meself. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

46 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

I'm looking forward to this. And I'm also looking forward to the day when I can watch a Western Stars/Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood double feature in my home theater! I feel like Bruce's broken characters fit really well with Tarantino's.

I think they should do a film around Born to Run. 6 separate stories ending in a shot out somewhere.  Who got shot in Jungleland who did the shooting?

• Like 2

Hopefully this will make me like the album a little more with seeing Bruce on the big screen performing the songs.

• Like 4

I just saw the trailer on FB.  Sorry, I can't post it here.  It's very autobiographic.  His speaking voice sounds very strained.  But I thought that about the BTR (book) audio version too.  The filming for it seems beautiful though.  Nice close-ups of Bruce.  Some old home movies and video.

• Like 6

Warner Bros. Pictures will release a cinematic film version of Bruce Springsteen’s latest album, Western Stars, worldwide, on the big screen.

Longtime collaborator Thom Zimny directs together with Springsteen in his directorial debut. The announcement was made today by Toby Emmerich, Chairman Warner Bros. Pictures Group. “Western Stars,” which will make its world premiere at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival, is slated for release this fall. However, fans can get an exclusive first look ahead of New Line Cinema’s “Blinded by the Light,” opening in theatres nationwide today.

Springsteen’s first studio album in five years, Western Stars marks a departure for the legendary singer/songwriter while still drawing on his roots. Touching on themes of love and loss, loneliness and family and the inexorable passage of time, the documentary film evokes the American West—both the mythic and the hardscrabble—weaving archival footage and Springsteen’s personal narration with song to tell the story of Western Stars.

“Western Stars” offers fans the world over their only opportunity to see Springsteen perform all 13 songs on the album, backed up by a band and a full orchestra, under the cathedral ceiling of his historic nearly 100-year-old barn.

Emmerich stated, “Bruce lives in the super rarified air of artists who have blazed new and important trails deep into their careers. With ‘Western Stars,’ Bruce is pivoting yet again, taking us with him on an emotional and introspective cinematic journey, looking back and looking ahead. As one of his many fans for over 40 years, I couldn’t be happier to be a rider on this train with Bruce and Thom.”

Western Stars, Springsteen’s 19th studio album, has achieved global success. It has been #1 on the iTunes charts on every continent, including such countries as the U.S., the UK, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Australia, India, South Africa, and all of Scandinavia, among other countries. It has also received rave reviews, with critics using words like “hauntingly brilliant,” “beguiling,” “gorgeous” and a “masterpiece.”

Springsteen and Zimny, who together helmed “Western Stars,” have collaborated on several projects over the years, including the documentary “The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town,” and the Netflix filmed version of the Tony Award-winning “Springsteen on Broadway,” which Zimny directed.

“Western Stars” is written and performed by Bruce Springsteen, with Special Guest Patti Scialfa. Thom Zimny, Jon Landau, Barbara Carr and George Travis produced the film, with Springsteen serving as executive producer. The original score is by Springsteen.

• Like 3

i foresee more cinema finding stress 

• Like 1

That’s almost exactly what my response was when I read this press release, Roy.

God bless the man, he can do whatever he wants at this point on his life. But if you had asked me some reasons 5 years ago why I was such a big fan I would have said his refusal to perform things such as his broadway show and with a full orchestra wou,d have been two reasons. Alas...... here he is.

4 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

That’s almost exactly what my response was when I read this press release, Roy.

God bless the man, he can do whatever he wants at this point on his life. But if you had asked me some reasons 5 years ago why I was such a big fan I would have said his refusal to perform things such as his broadway show and with a full orchestra wou,d have been two reasons. Alas...... here he is.

giphy.gif&key=d80d015a6aa46eb622437b4d97

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

But if you had asked me some reasons 5 years ago why I was such a big fan I would have said his refusal to perform things such as his broadway show and with a full orchestra wou,d have been two reasons. 

Funny, I woulda thought his music would have been the first thing to come to your mind while disclosing the "why."  Especially since Broadway probably wasn't even on his radar, or yours for that matter.  

Just now, Pregnant Sally said:

Funny, I woulda thought his music would have been the first thing to come to your mind while disclosing the "why."  Especially since Broadway probably wasn't even on his radar, or yours for that matter.  

Of course. That is not excluded from what I said.

Again, he can do as he pleases. If he feels like this is where his artistry is taking him, so be it. I have little interest in partaking in it.

"Emmerich stated, “Bruce lives in the super rarified air of artists who have blazed new and important trails deep into their careers. With ‘Western Stars,’ Bruce is pivoting yet again, taking us with him on an emotional and introspective cinematic journey, looking back and looking ahead. As one of his many fans for over 40 years, I couldn’t be happier to be a rider on this train with Bruce and Thom.”

Rock stars have been making albums with orchestras for donkey's years, that's where Bruce got his ideas and steals.

I wish these people wouldn't hype Bruce like the Second Coming all the time.

• Like 1

if he's going to perform with an orchestra this is the fairest way to do it

all our cities will have orchestras whome we feel are worthy of the Boss but a tour like that is never going to happen 

im excited to think i might be able to see this in a nice cinima with great surround sound 

when i saw 20 feet from stardom it was wounderful to hear and see Bruce and Darlene at the end with the ESB 

I think this sounds wonderful.

Full marks to Bruce for continually surprising us after all these years.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

33 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I think this sounds wonderful.

Full marks to Bruce for continually surprising us after all these years.

That's what I love about him. Its never same old same old. He keeps experimenting and I for one love that about him. I'm never getting off this train!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

1 hour ago, Elbow said:

it looks like its going to be very pretty

• Like 2