NoSurrender81

Bruce Springsteen Announces New Western Stars Film

3 hours ago, jmw said:

Roll on October.

So for our friends in killer animal land r

this movie will open before blinded by the light

Ok, the Toronto International Film Festival schedule has just been announced.  Western Stars is premiering Thursday Sept 12th.  It’s in Roy Thomson Hall, which is a concert hall, not a movie theatre, so HOPEFULLY can get a ticket.  

• Like 3

From the TIFF website:

”The incomparable Bruce Springsteen performs his critically acclaimed latest album and muses on life, rock, and the American dream, in this intimate and personal concert film co-directed by Thom Zimny and Springsteen himself.

Bruce Springsteen's Western Stars album, released this summer, contains some of his "most beguiling work ever," in the words of Rolling Stone. He's trying new things musically, recording with a 30-piece orchestra and drawing inspiration from country ballads. The album begs to be heard through cinema speakers for its lush arrangements and storytelling. Even the characters in these songs belong to the movies. ("Once I was shot by John Wayne," boasts the B actor in the title track.) 

Springsteen has only performed the album live once — for a private audience at his farmhouse — and this documentary captures that experience. Standing at centre stage, he's flanked by an orchestra and his wife, Patti Scialfa. The archetypal character in these songs is a loner seeking redemption in love. In his memoir, Springsteen describes himself in similar terms, with Scialfa as his redeemer. Between songs, he reflects with a poetic rumination that expands on the themes of his Broadway show, "Springsteen on Broadway," describing the oppositional pulls of American life between the transient and the communal. One tug is to hit the road; the other is to build a family. After 19 studio albums, he says, "I'm still writing about cars." 

This is the first full-length film to carry Springsteen's name as director — partnered with his long-time collaborator Thom Zimny. As he turns 70 this fall, Springsteen never stops trying to expand himself artistically. His instincts are unfailing — all the way down to the surprise cover song slipped in at the end.”

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Arrrrrrggggghhh.  I give up with the font colour.  

• Haha 2

USA, 2019

English

WORLD PREMIERE

83 minutes

Directors
Thom Zimny, Bruce Springsteen

Cast
Bruce Springsteen, Patti Scialfa

Cinematography
Joe Desalvo

Editing
Thom Zimny

Executive Producer
Bruce Springsteen

Producers
Thom Zimny, Jon Landau, George Travis, Barbara Carr

Production Company
Western Stars Films

Production Designers
Kenneth MacLeod, Kris Moran

Sound
John Cooper, John Harris, Ron Aniello, Brad Bergbom, Rob Lebret

US Distributor
Warner Bros. Pictures

Publicist
Warner Bros. Pictures

Original Score
Bruce Springsteen

48 minutes ago, Kburke said:

all the way down to the surprise cover song slipped in at the end.

Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)?

West End Girls?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kburke said:

"....im still writting about cars"

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Kburke said:

From the TIFF website:

”The incomparable Bruce Springsteen performs his critically acclaimed latest album and muses on life, rock, and the American dream, in this intimate and personal concert film co-directed by Thom Zimny and Springsteen himself.

Bruce Springsteen's Western Stars album, released this summer, contains some of his "most beguiling work ever," in the words of Rolling Stone. He's trying new things musically, recording with a 30-piece orchestra and drawing inspiration from country ballads. The album begs to be heard through cinema speakers for its lush arrangements and storytelling. Even the characters in these songs belong to the movies. ("Once I was shot by John Wayne," boasts the B actor in the title track.) 

Springsteen has only performed the album live once — for a private audience at his farmhouse — and this documentary captures that experience. Standing at centre stage, he's flanked by an orchestra and his wife, Patti Scialfa. The archetypal character in these songs is a loner seeking redemption in love. In his memoir, Springsteen describes himself in similar terms, with Scialfa as his redeemer. Between songs, he reflects with a poetic rumination that expands on the themes of his Broadway show, "Springsteen on Broadway," describing the oppositional pulls of American life between the transient and the communal. One tug is to hit the road; the other is to build a family. After 19 studio albums, he says, "I'm still writing about cars." 

This is the first full-length film to carry Springsteen's name as director — partnered with his long-time collaborator Thom Zimny. As he turns 70 this fall, Springsteen never stops trying to expand himself artistically. His instincts are unfailing — all the way down to the surprise cover song slipped in at the end.”

Once upon a time in the West cover at end? 

27 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Once upon a time in the West cover at end? 

We could only be so lucky. 

As I wrote in my review of the film (posted last night funnily enough), only "The Ecstasy of Gold" stops that main theme from being Morricone's best.

For the uninformed, listen and then watch the film.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kburke said:

From the TIFF website:

Wake me up when September ends.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kburke said:

the surprise cover song slipped in at the end.

'The End' by The Doors.

"The west is the best ..... "

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)?

West End Girls?

Shout  :wacko:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

We could only be so lucky. 

As I wrote in my review of the film (posted last night funnily enough), only "The Ecstasy of Gold" stops that main theme from being Morricone's best.

For the uninformed, listen and then watch the film.

where is your absent note young man ?

we have been missing you 

plus everytime i go on the internet i get results and upcoming Sutherland soccer matches for some strange reason 

Whilst I am very much looking forward to seeing and hearing all the magnificent Western Stars songs with a full orchestra in this movie, I am a bit deflated at the thought of another navel gazing exercise from Bruce similar to the Broadway stint. I know he has had his troubles and he has overcame them and he is incredibly moving when explaining all this, however the book and Broadway have covered it all. I really hope gets back in the studio in the next few months with the ESB and gets the new record out with a tour to follow.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Whilst I am very much looking forward to seeing and hearing all the magnificent Western Stars songs with a full orchestra in this movie, I am a bit deflated at the thought of another navel gazing exercise from Bruce similar to the Broadway stint. I know he has had his troubles and he has overcame them and he is incredibly moving when explaining all this, however the book and Broadway have covered it all. I really hope gets back in the studio in the next few months with the ESB and gets the new record out with a tour to follow.

Did they? Judging by the album, as well as the trailer for the film, it seems he has a lot more to say on the subject, at least in my view.

I'm very excited for the film. I didn't feel like the album WS was retreading the same ground as the autobiography & accompanying Broadway show & am very interested in a deeper exploration of it, the themes it covers, the writing &/or recording of it, the headspace Bruce has been in during its production, what led him to release it (now), and so on, as well as hearing it performed "live". :)

• Like 2

"You never know what's gonna happen with new music. A certain kind of magic took place. The music began to take on a life of its own."

Sounds as if he's a bit surprised by the reception this album has enjoyed.

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

23 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I had heard of milk duds but thought they were another name for maple buds. 

7D790239-0630-469B-9ADA-B7B0B860CA2A.jpeg

I had those once. They had real maple syrup in them.

1 hour ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I had heard of milk duds but thought they were another name for maple buds. 

7D790239-0630-469B-9ADA-B7B0B860CA2A.jpeg

yum

they look nice

ive only recently finally tried maple syrup

What were you putting on your hotcakes all those years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

What were you putting on your hotcakes all those years?

maple syrup for Gary (on his birthday each year)

ive just started making  banana pancakes with a side of bacon and that's how i tried it

i put like a teaspoon  full on my plate and dipped it in fork full at a time

Gary pours it on 

i have my porrage with milk, banana and coconut and my weat bix with milk and tinned pears

actually hot cakes are really just pikeletts if they are sweet and i just have then hot buttered - i buy little bags of 6 for Gary who has butter, jam (jelly) and peanut butter on them