Listening to WS has got me thinking about something that is very obvious: 99,5% of the time, Bruce writes from a male perspective. It’s only very rarely that he’ll write a song through a female perspective or without a male or female perspective.

And it’s not just that most of his stories come from a male point of view, he seems to focus a lot on manhood. I think that shows a lot on this album.

Now, I’m not saying you can’t enjoy those songs if you’re female but I am genuinely curious to know how women relate to these songs. What women like about them and what kind of connection they feel when listening to them. Do you ever feel that Bruce ignores your point of view in hi stories? Does it bother you?

That's an interesting question. I know what I want to say, but not finding the right words (if that makes any sense) so I will sleep on it and answer in the morning.

22 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Never ever felt ignored; so no, it’s never bothered me.

I feel his stories not from a gender perspective, but from a human perspective.  

That'll do for me. Perfect.

• Love Love Love! 1

"Well my name is Catherine LeFevre
I work at the Astrowash on Sunset and Vine
I drop my kids at school in the morning
And I pick them up at Mary's just 'fore suppertime
"

I always wondered if the narrator of "Car Wash" is truly female, and if so, is in a relationship with another woman?

4 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

Just as well Bruce is a bloke, songs wouldn't be the same.

He's The One

My Mother's House

Let's Be Friends ( cuddles only)

Born To Fluff pillows

Jimmy Don't You Lose Heart

The Short Goodbye

My Love Will Let You Down

King Of The Supermarket

Dancing In The Kitchen 

All I'm thinking About Is Me

Be Untrue

Woman's World

Thundercock

Women At The Top

For Me

Give The Boy A Kiss

My Best Is Always Good Enough

Un Happy

Held Up Without A Bun

Women's Job

I Wanna Marry You...If You're Rich

I'll Stand By You Not Very Often

Long Time Comin'   ( that might stay the same :D )

Some good ones there....but dancing in the kitchen? Controversial! 

• Like 1

Just now, doesthisbusstop said:

Oh shit ! I can't edit that now..lake lasses are going to kill me :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There are times I read or hear something and I know straight away that it is either written from a male or female perspective.  

Although I agree Bruce is writing from a very male point of view but as a female I can still relate to what he is saying and totally agree with @rosiejaneymary that he writes from a human perspective.

Ok now just been interrupted by Roy's song list so just going to say he is Bruce and he can dance in my kitchen any day :wub: 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

16 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

Long time comin staying the same...is genius :D

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I have more than once danced in the kitchen.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, bettertohaveloved said:

That'll do for me. Perfect.

And me.

• Like 2

What I find interesting are the few songs in the catalogue where the gender could be either / or.

For example, Backstreets and Bobby Jean. I think it's very telling he chose gender neutral monikers for the characters in those two songs. Those two songs work in any perspective... male protagonist singing to a female or even a male, female protagonist singing to a male or female. Both songs are very universal.

I'm talking the original album versions here. The live Backstreets with the interludes I think recasts that song into a much straighter male singing to female light.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

He's The One

She's The One was covered by a female band (can''t remember the name; not a famous one) who indeed changed it to He's The One. Just as Bruce's cover of The Crystal's Then He Kissed Me became Then She Kissed Me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In my short life I have wondered many times how women relate to songs sung by men from a male perspective. For example, when listening to Thunder Road do the women relate to the narrator as I do? Just switch the gender roles in your head as another user mentioned earlier on in this thread? Do you change the pronoun when singing along?

Then I realised I quite happily sing along to Dolly Parton's Jolene without changing a damn thing.

Not that it answers anyone's question.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Women At The Top

Get quite some strange ideas about this one. Must be the time of day.

Also: Romeo Come Out Tonight; Mark King Of Arkansas; Eva Did Not Raise A Cain; My Lover Woman; Boys In Their Winter Clothes (sounds a little bit strange); Candy's Girl (why not); Jersey Boy (not a Bruce original of course); Unlucky Woman; Reckless Woman; Walk Like A Woman (is that on high heels?); I'm On Fire (Hey little boy is your mummy home? a very sinister one, this one); Ramrod (disqualified as women are not able to let their ramrod rock); I'm A Rocker (a girl who says she's a rocker is a very cool girl); Urban Heroine; Johanna 99; Highway Patrolwoman;  The Woman Who Came Back; Everything Woman; Outlaw Petra; White Cowgirls (same strange idea as Women At The Top); A Bad Woman Is Easy To Find (Philadelphia); Rick Does Not Want A Woman Of His Own; John Lose Your Heart;  The Big Things My Boy Does (Er...some things we just don't wanna know).

Better not talk about Reno (or should that be: Las Vegas?).

Better also not talk about Red- Headed Woman and Pilgrim In The Temple Of Love.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, -Sussudio- said:

For example, when listening to Thunder Road do the women relate to the narrator as I do?

Can only speak for myself.  I don’t ever change the pronouns; and yes, I actually relate primarily to the narrator rather than to Mary. 

Like BT I often put myself in as the hero or main character in a book.  IDK that I switched the gender.  More like the gender of said person was immaterial.  

But with Bruce songs, I sing and relate to narrators/main characters as they are written.  

I never actually knew about the Backstreets ‘controversy’ until it was mentioned here on the Lake a few years ago.  I never thought of Terry (I have three female friends named ‘Terry,’ so maybe that’s why?) as anything but a woman.  And (even though I know it was written for Stevie), Bobby Jean as well.  

I’m not sure exactly why.  And of course I could be wrong about either or both.  

Also Catherine LaFevre who (in response to a post above), picks up her kids at Mary’s who I always assumed was the babysitter; and I guess I always thought she’s referring to the wealthy man who’s going to change her life in a romantic way.  

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I have no problem with him being a boy (me being a girl, who got into Bruce when I was a teenager) and him writing from that perspective.  Doesn’t leave me in the least feeling less wrapped up in the emotion.  

In fact, maybe that’s part of it - that I’m not him in the song, I’d be the other one.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

"Well my name is Catherine LeFevre
I work at the Astrowash on Sunset and Vine
I drop my kids at school in the morning
And I pick them up at Mary's just 'fore suppertime
"

I always wondered if the narrator of "Car Wash" is truly female, and if so, is in a relationship with another woman?

If it was a relationship you wouldn’t think she’d be picking her kid up from Mary.

slightly off on a tangent but remember when the ESB got inducted into the R&RHoF and Patti said words to the effect of "does a little girl want to grow up to marry a Beatle or to be one ?"

Hell ! i want to be Bruce Springsteen! 

my mother and i are every bit Adam raised a Cain as Bruce and his dad

Its like manhole 

we dont need it to be called maintenance hole to know any gender can use one 

Bruce is a human first, then a male

DOTEOT is my record, and ive always felt particularly close to the girl from Racing (and the lady in Queen of the supermarket),

normally it doesn't matter he usually writes as a bloke

like Rosie said i too usually identify with the narrator

except id really like to be Cynthia 

4 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

....all im thinking about is myself ? 

Roy ...........

the TOL record is a good example of being 'gender neutral' to me 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Listening to WS has got me thinking about something that is very obvious: 99,5% of the time, Bruce writes from a male perspective. It’s only very rarely that he’ll write a song through a female perspective or without a male or female perspective.

And it’s not just that most of his stories come from a male point of view, he seems to focus a lot on manhood. I think that shows a lot on this album.

Now, I’m not saying you can’t enjoy those songs if you’re female but I am genuinely curious to know how women relate to these songs. What women like about them and what kind of connection they feel when listening to them. Do you ever feel that Bruce ignores your point of view in hi stories? Does it bother you?

Bruce writes with such raw honestly 

he stripes all those complicated feelings back to bear bones and heartache about life in general

He says all the things i feel but don't know how to say for myself

ive never felt he ignores my point of view, rather he gave my feelings a voice and more importantly reason

no one ever gave me real empathy before Bruce Springsteen 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

If it was a relationship you wouldn’t think she’d be picking her kid up from Mary.

Good point.  I never quite understood the situation in “Car Wash”