25 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I must be bi-songual.

i wish Gary would listen to Bruce

he's his original target audience 

he's so many characters in those lyrics

i wish he would listen to the new album

sigh

sorry to TJ for going off topic

Having slept on it, here are my thoughts. 

I don't generally put myself in the narrators shoes, I am the person being sung to. When I discovered Bruce I was already married with a child, so in a strange way, he was/is my fantasy. A safe space for me to consider what might have been. I always imagined him as someone very 'male' and a bit of a bad boy - 'you know just what I'm here for', 'you ain't a beauty' etc. but at the same time tender. Would I have climbed in? Almost certainly not.

As he matured, so the themes of the songs mature. His understanding of the female perspective grew I think so on TOL, for example, we see a softer side. Although, being about a relationship going wrong, I didn't relate to it entirely, there are bits which resonate, particularly Brilliant Disguise and the roles we play 'loving woman' - was that really me? I guess so, because 45 years later I'm still here!

Then we move on to the song which really spoke to me - Kingdom of Days. Everything about this one is me, except it's my husband singing it to me now, not the bad boy. 

And Western Stars - so many regrets, unfulfilled dreams. Could I ever have been with the Hitch Hiker, The Wayfarer? No, I would never have chosen that life.  When I listen, I am pleased I didn't climb in.

• Like 9

I realise the above may make me sound like 'smug married'! That's not my intention, relationships are hard and the older I get, the more I realise this. From the outside, you think someone has it all, but, in reality, that is rarely the case.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

Could I ever have been with the Hitch Hiker, The Wayfarer? No

Hmmph!

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I realise the above may make me sound like 'smug married'! That's not my intention, relationships are hard and the older I get, the more I realise this. From the outside, you think someone has it all, but, in reality, that is rarely the case.

no it doesn't Ann

i would never think you were smug

plus you know how fortunate you and Mr Slippers (Oh what's his name these days ;)) are to have made it work

the happiest and most loving marrage still takes a lot if work and compromise 

so well done 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll tell you something, if i had that time machine and head back to 1978 and the winterland arena i don't plan on being a shrinking violet - of course  id be like a bloody cougar because Bruce was a good few younger than i am now

i havn't quite worked out all the logistics

• Haha 1

It has always been an interest with me how the ladies relate to the male perspective of Bruce songs & how they see themselves in them,but then apart from Bruce I mainly listen to female singers & I don't really think about that situation in reverse.

As Ann says I think as we get older the perspectives change & we understand more of life & that relationships aren't all happy ever afters,it's not as simple as just climbing into a car & heading into the sunset.

I think as we get older songs can take on new meanings & we see them differently through the eyes of our experiences.

• Like 3

Yes. it's important on the road to change socks and direction frequently.

• Haha 3

This topic has really got me thinking. Why do I love these songs so much, when they do not, on the face of it, reflect much in my life?

Mostly I think it is because they reflect the human condition, whether you are male/female, regardless of nationality or heritage. Parents, lovers, siblings, children, friends - we all have these people in our lives in some fashion, it's just life.

Also, I am fascinated by lives lived differently to mine. I don't read books, watch films or tv programmes about middle class women living in middle England just chugging along with their lives! I like to read about travel, adventure, murders even - I don't want to live that life myself, but I like to get an understanding of what that life may be like. That's why I love @Jerseyfornia's books so much - a life less like my own, I can't imagine, but someone who shares a passion for those very same songs.

I think I may have gone a bit off topic, but hey ho!

• Like 8
  • Bruuuuce! 1

16 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

This topic has really got me thinking. Why do I love these songs so much, when they do not, on the face of it, reflect much in my life?

Mostly I think it is because they reflect the human condition, whether you are male/female, regardless of nationality or heritage. Parents, lovers, siblings, children, friends - we all have these people in our lives in some fashion, it's just life.

Also, I am fascinated by lives lived differently to mine. I don't read books, watch films or tv programmes about middle class women living in middle England just chugging along with their lives! I like to read about travel, adventure, murders even - I don't want to live that life myself, but I like to get an understanding of what that life may be like. That's why I love @Jerseyfornia's books so much - a life less like my own, I can't imagine, but someone who shares a passion for those very same songs.

I think I may have gone a bit off topic, but hey ho!

On the contrary!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Good point.  I never quite understood the situation in “Car Wash”

I’ll be honest, you’ve put more thought into the song than I have. I always thought of it as a sort of throwaway song. I’ll have to listen more intently.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I’ll be honest, you’ve put more thought into the song than I have. I always thought of it as a sort of throwaway song. I’ll have to listen more intently.

#metoo

9 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Good point.  I never quite understood the situation in “Car Wash”

She works at a car wash. Mary babysits her kids while she works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerseyfornia said:

She works at a car wash. Mary babysits her kids while she works.

Thank you.  Exactly what I was trying to say several posts ago.  

Not a huge mystery.  Catherine L isn’t thrilled by her dead end, low paying job; Mary watches the kids.  Seems to be the extent of their relationship. 

I’ve always had a lot of empathy for Catherine, and have always loved this song. 

• Like 4

I wonder if she worked with Joe from Downbound Train.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I wonder if she worked with Joe from Downbound Train.

At the car wash where all it ever does is rain. How depressing is that?

• Like 4

Well, suffice it to say that Bruce does write from the female perspective. ;)

• Like 1

Female perspective or same-sex relationship blues?

19 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Here’s what Brucie had to say “...Over The Rise, When The Lights Go Out, Loose Change, Goin' Cali, Gave It A Name, even My Lover Man, all these very psychological portraits of people wrestling with relationships and their own isolation."” 

22 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I think he stole a line from Smokey Robinson with that being human/making mistakes

15 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Here’s what Brucie had to say “...Over The Rise, When The Lights Go Out, Loose Change, Goin' Cali, Gave It A Name, even My Lover Man, all these very psychological portraits of people wrestling with relationships and their own isolation."” 

Love all of those. That Tracks disc 4 has so much amazing stuff (and a few stinkers).

• Like 2

It seems to me that his songs are pretty inclusive.... I think he's pretty engaged with his female characters and I think he's pretty representative across both sexes in his outlooks. 

With the shoe on the other foot some of my favourite female singers have similarly engaged both sexes brilliantly and when they do sing exclusively about female issues its been fascinating...Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Aldous Harding, Patti Smith, Dolly Parton, and Kate Bush.

• Like 1

I never thought about it before reading this thread ..that's how good he is.  

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1