Sign in to follow this  
hammersmith75

Blinded By The Light : FREE preview tickets Tuesday Aug 6th 2019

great my sister has a ticket for this one and promises to spoil the story for me when I see it a week or so later!

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for link. I just got confirmation that I have tickets for this one.

Although I had to go on a waiting list first then the email says seats not guaranteed, on a first come first served basis!

There must be more Springsteen fans around the Wimbledon area than I thought! :o

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:55 PM, shirlsdins said:

Thanks for link. I just got confirmation that I have tickets for this one.

Although I had to go on a waiting list first then the email says seats not guaranteed, on a first come first served basis!

There must be more Springsteen fans around the Wimbledon area than I thought! :o

Glad it worked out for you. Not sure the ticket take up will reflect the number of Bruce fans present though I know of two going to the Wimbledon showing. I’ve been to the preview showing in Stratford Westfield Vue tonight and I think Bruce fans were in a very small minority with most people taking in a free movie opportunity for a film that’s had a reasonable amount of positive publicity. Whatever, hope you enjoy the film, I’m sure you will.

I’ll bump this back up the list just in case anyone else fancies giving it a go for tomorrow (Tuesday)

• Like 2

i still cant get my head around seeing a movie for free at a picture theatre 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i still cant get my head around seeing a movie for free at a picture theatre 

I don’t get it either but I’m not complaining!

This may be completely wrong but I wonder if the multiplex chains use single night free previews to gauge audience interest before general release which allows them to put the movie in the right sized auditorium when the film goes live — this Friday in the U.K. The multiplex I saw Blinded in last night has 20 screens with capacities of varying sizes, they used one of the larger auditoriums last night.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hammersmith75 said:

This may be completely wrong but I wonder if the multiplex chains use single night free previews to gauge audience interest before general release which allows them to put the movie in the right sized auditorium when the film goes live — this Friday in the U.K. The multiplex I saw Blinded in last night has 20 screens with capacities of varying sizes, they used one of the larger auditoriums last night.

maybe

like a test screening but further along in the process

i doubt that's done here

if its a local movie it gets its premier in the town it was shot in - that makes the news 

but a big hollywood kind of film probably comes into the country with its marketing plan already set up

i just checked flicks nz - no Wanganui times yet 

we only have one ( 3 screen ?) picture theater here  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammersmith75 said:

No, it is to increase interest in the film by word of mouth. 
The distributors hope the audience will tell people about it and preferably recommend it.

My research ;) led me here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 4:11 PM, AMIW said:

great my sister has a ticket for this one and promises to spoil the story for me when I see it a week or so later!

Turns out Bruce Willis is a ghost and the Irish guy's girlfriend is really a guy.

You're welcome.

6.30 on Friday at The Everyman, £13 a ticket, which is a bit expensive (I usually pay a fiver for silver screen) but I am sure it will be worth it!

• Like 2

Fair few in at the Odeon in Birmingham tonight only about 3-4 empty seats. Top gig venue itself back in the day btw...

Film was terrific I thought. I only cringed when the first bit of Bruce music came in as I was enjoying the plot building.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rizla said:

No, it is to increase interest in the film by word of mouth. 
The distributors hope the audience will tell people about it and preferably recommend it.

My research ;) led me here

that's really cool

UK people jump on this and get a free movie even if it isnt blinded by the light 

50 minutes ago, miamisteve said:

Saw it in Sheffield last night at Vue. It was full and people with free tickets were turned away

did you enjoy it ?

Well I went tonight and loved it.

I was a little bit worried that I might be expecting too much of this film and hoped there wouldn't be any cringe worthy Bruce moments and they were to a minimum. 

It was so well put together, both funny and moving at the same time and more than anything captured that era of the 80's in Britain so realistically.

And the soundtrack was pretty damn good ;)

Happy that the universal message of Bruce's lyrics came across in such a good light. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I went last night with two friends.  No ads, no trailers!  straight into the film which was a nice surprise. 
It was a bit cheesy but enjoyable, and funny - not really LOL funny, but there were plenty of amusing bits that raised a chuckle. 

The young cast were excellent.  The Eliza actress seemed familiar, but I couldn't place her - she reminded me a bit of the young Tracey Ullman, but also of Clare Grogan in Gregory's Girl (the beret may have been a little homage there).  Anyway turns out she had a small but memorable role in Game Of Thrones, but that was about five years ago so she looked younger.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

36 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I went last night with two friends.  No ads, no trailers!  straight into the film which was a nice surprise. 
It was a bit cheesy but enjoyable, and funny - not really LOL funny, but there were plenty of amusing bits that raised a chuckle. 

The young cast were excellent.  The Eliza actress seemed familiar, but I couldn't place her - she reminded me a bit of the young Tracey Ullman, but also of Clare Grogan in Gregory's Girl (the beret may have been a little homage there).  Anyway turns out she had a small but memorable role in Game Of Thrones, but that was about five years ago so she looked younger.

did your friends enjoy it ?

what is the level of their fandom ?

and do you think the movie/ soundtrack changed their level of fandom ?

im really glad you enjoyed and had a good night with your friends 

• Thanks 1

Level of fandom .... I don't think any of us would have gone if we'd had to pay!  :D  On the basis that films turn up on the TV soon enough these days.

They both like Bruce well enough, but aren't mega fans.  One of them came to the 2012 Hyde Park gig, but it was a last minute decision on his part.  He has listened to Western Stars and likes it a lot.The other one came with me to a Jake Clemons gig and loved it.    He's interested in seeing Little Steven & the D of S.  Not sure if he's seen Bruce - not with me anyway - but it did emerge that he's been to Asbury Park and the Stone Pony!

I suppose they are casual fans, in  a good way - usually up for going to any gig if it sounds interesting.  But you can never pin either of them down - they will rarely commit to buying tickets for anything months ahead. I tend to tell them if I'm planning to go to something, and one or both might tag along, or not.  It's only an issue if the event is seated.

• Love Love Love! 1

Gregory s girl best film about footie ever.. and ah Clare Grogan lead singer of altered images... things were definitely better in 78 or so

40 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Level of fandom .... I don't think any of us would have gone if we'd had to pay!  :D  On the basis that films turn up on the TV soon enough these days.

They both like Bruce well enough, but aren't mega fans.  One of them came to the 2012 Hyde Park gig, but it was a last minute decision on his part.  He has listened to Western Stars and likes it a lot.The other one came with me to a Jake Clemons gig and loved it.    He's interested in seeing Little Steven & the D of S.  Not sure if he's seen Bruce - not with me anyway - but it did emerge that he's been to Asbury Park and the Stone Pony!

I suppose they are casual fans, in  a good way - usually up for going to any gig if it sounds interesting.  But you can never pin either of them down - they will rarely commit to buying tickets for anything months ahead. I tend to tell them if I'm planning to go to something, and one or both might tag along, or not.  It's only an issue if the event is seated.

seem to be quite well educated respectful casual fans

im glad they enjoyed it

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Gregory s girl best film about footie ever.. and ah Clare Grogan lead singer of altered images... things were definitely better in 78 or so

your so funny Andrew 

your such a fun positive light around here (mind you i don't follow round football ;))

the-leek.jpg

As most people associate the title song with Manfred Mann and not Bruce, I wonder if there wasn't a better song, or maybe a well known lyric from a song, to name the movie after.