Have been listening to the CD of the Wembley Arena 1981 show in the car over the last couple of weeks  (absolutely brilliant by the way), and it struck me that I have no idea where Johnny Bye Bye came from ? Is it a song Bruce wrote and just added in the Chuck Berry reference, or is it a cover ? Seems strange the song is about Elvis death (which was only four years prior to this), yet it mentions a guy called Johnny. Appreciate any information about this great song.

• Like 3

Johnny Bye Bye is a Bruce Springsteen original. Because of 'borrowing' the title and lyrics (the first two lines of the song) from the Chuck Berry song Bye Bye Johnny, the song is credited as a Springsteen-Berry composition.

According to Brucebase, the song was recorded for what became Nebraska and also recorded with the ESB on the 'Electric Nebraska'  sessions (and recorded during the BUSA sessions).

And it is indeed a very great song of course.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Johnny Bye Bye is a Bruce Springsteen original. Because of 'borrowing' the title and lyrics (the first two lines of the song) from the Chuck Berry song Bye Bye Johnny, the song is credited as a Springsteen-Berry composition.

According to Brucebase, the song was recorded for what became Nebraska and also recorded with the ESB on the 'Electric Nebraska'  sessions (and recorded during the BUSA sessions).

Thanks for that.

Check out the versions from late fall '84 - LA 11/2/84 & 11/4/84, and Tempe 11/8/84 I saw personally. Wonderful renditions!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Check out the versions from late fall '84 - LA 11/2/84 & 11/4/84, and Tempe 11/8/84 I saw personally. Wonderful renditions!

...and Kansas City 19 November 1984.

I think the 1981 versions were slightly better as the BUSA Tour versions but that is of course personal.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I also enjoy the 1981 version more, but they're like two different songs. Both great!

My favorite 1981 version is from Landover - the organ is cranked way up for the lines "they found him slumped up against the drain / With a whole lot of nothing running through his veins" which really underscores the emotion.

My favorite 1984 version is the Kansas City one that Lampi mentioned. It's a good one.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Those slow versions from the '81 shows are very special. Any version would easily make my Top Ten Bruce Moments.

• Like 3

On 7/29/2019 at 8:02 PM, HeroOfVirtue said:

My favorite 1984 version is the Kansas City one that Lampi mentioned. It's a good one.

YESSSSS!!!! 

Love the Kansas City boot.

One of the best of all time

• Love Love Love! 1

21 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

For sure, the sound and performance are both superb.  Everyone talks about Racing... but for me the versions of Jungleland, Prove it... and Atlantic City are amongst the best of the tour.

However, the previous show had Sugarland so if only one got the Nugs treatment...

Maybe I should write a song called "In The USA (I Was Born) and steal the first two lines of BITUSA and then brag that I have a co-writing credit with Bruce Springsteen B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Those slow versions from the '81 shows are very special. Any version would easily make my Top Ten Bruce Moments.

Just can’t listen to the 81 versions.  Much prefer the 84 versions and the Tracks release. Which is a little odd given I love the Promise version of Come on, let’s go tonight and there are similarities. 

1 minute ago, -Sussudio- said:

Maybe I should write a song called "In The USA (I Was Born) and steal the first two lines of BITUSA and then brag that I have a co-writing credit with Bruce Springsteen B)

Only if you are Yoda in disguise :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I don't have one boot. Most likely I need this one, as most all agree this is one of the best. Is this available on the bootleg thread? Does it cost?  

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't have one boot. Most likely I need this one, as most all agree this is one of the best. Is this available on the bootleg thread? Does it cost?  

It's an awesome bootleg, if you can't do the download thingy I'd be very happy to send you a copy my friend.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

It's an awesome bootleg, if you can't do the download thingy I'd be very happy to send you a copy my friend.

Thanks Roy, I can do the download thingy. If I can find the file to download. Is it in the Bootleg Thread? 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

If I can find the file to download. Is it in the Bootleg Thread? 

I'm not sure if it's on that thread but i'm sure if you posted on the thread asking for it one of those kind fella's will pass the link on to you.

Not only is the version of Bye Bye Johnny awesome on that boot it has for me one of the best versions of Devil In A Blue Dress melody 

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't have one boot. Most likely I need this one, as most all agree this is one of the best.  

And apart from performance, considered to be one of the best, if not the best, audience recordings of the BUSA Tour.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I've got the one called Kansas City Night on Crystal cat...is that the same one ?

1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

I've got the one called Kansas City Night on Crystal cat...is that the same one ?

Yes, that's the one!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Karembu said:

Only if you are Yoda in disguise :)

Shhhhh! The Empire is still looking for him;)

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, Lampi said:

Hi I wrote the section on Johnny Bye Bye for Brucebase

He did not record it as part of the January 1982 Nebraska demos at Colt’s Neck; the legendary Nebraska version of 'Johnny Bye Bye' does not exist. The version on the tape he sent Landau was almost certainly a live July 1981 recording

First time it was recorded in studio was Electric Nebraska sessions

:o

• Like 2

I just remembered

COME ON (LET'S GO TONIGHT) - V1 2:32

FFOD / HNWB

One or both of these bootlegs (Fistful of Dollars and How Nebraska won

listed this song as Johnny Bye Bye in error and this would put it in Nebraska time frame

More fake news

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, newcastle roy said:

I'm not sure if it's on that thread but i'm sure if you posted on the thread asking for it one of those kind fella's will pass the link on to you.

Not only is the version of Bye Bye Johnny awesome on that boot it has for me one of the best versions of Devil In A Blue Dress melody 

and the best ever Santa for me, Clarence choking on the fumes and all the "happy's" and then the "happy the rest of your life" line - superb! That show needs a GOOD Nugs release!

On 7/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, HeroOfVirtue said:

Yes, that's the one!

Roses In The Kansas Rain is arguably even better sound-wise. Both are superb.