Sign in to follow this  
JustDan

Genesis - A Comeback?/...

Recent photo to promote new BBC documentary. 

Facebook.jpg?w=980&q=75

Fueling reunion rumours though is the introduction of a new band logo:

10496178_10153106352073206_9026613481487

Thing is....I thought Phil suffered some type of permanent nerve injury which does not allow him to play drums anymore....

• Like 1

be cool if its true

Phil has toured since , no drums from him, his son played,  I know this because I am sure my (big genesis fan and 17 years older) sister went! 

• Like 1

Think the've maybe left it too late. Perhaps someone who has seen Phil live recently can comment but I wasn't impressed when I saw him on TV about a year ago.

4 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

Think the've maybe left it too late. Perhaps someone who has seen Phil live recently can comment but I wasn't impressed when I saw him on TV about a year ago.

Saw him earlier this summer. His voice is still there, but he can't play drums anymore. He sat during the whole show, apart from a song or two, I think. He did play percussion during some sort of "drum duet" with his son but missed his cue once, giving away that he played to a backing track. NO WAY he can play the drums. Still an enjoyable concert, though.

• Thanks 1

@JustDan not sure where you saw this but I don’t think that’s a recent pic... I think it dates back to the 2014 ‘R-Kive’ project which was a compilation album and documentary. The album was a Genesis comp which included a few solo tracks from each member. (In the air tonight, Solsbury Hill, Living Years etc)

4199D18B-9C6B-407E-A388-F4766EDC03F2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

Far too late.  

Not every band who once had it great has to freakin' reunite!  

• Like 1

I would love to believe it but having seen Phil at the Albert Hall last year, as LeoGetz says, he can’t drum anymore, and could only walk with the help of a walking stick. His voice is still in fine fettle though. They could I guess use Chester on drums.....a great ‘man at the back’ for the band over the decades. Twickenham 2009 (?) was a brilliant gig and the two men had a superb ‘drum off’ towards the end of the set.....maybe during Los Endos ? Steve Hackett still touring (Hammy Odeon in Nov for full run through of Selling England will be wonderful) and Rutherford likewise still touring. There was an excellent BBC doc on the band a few years ago.......clearly they all get on but I recall Peter G was the tough nut to crack in terms of getting the original line up back together. Maybe as mentioned above, they should ditch any thoughts of reforming again.....if the rumours are true. I always thought 2009 was their Grande Finale.

If they do Lamb in it's entirety, then encore with Supper's Ready (both with Peter in costume), I would travel a long way to go.  Otherwise - can't be bothered.

I'd want to hear that paper plates song. I like the horn arrangements on that. Though they probably wouldn't tour with horns.

13 hours ago, Flea said:

If they do Lamb in it's entirety, then encore with Supper's Ready (both with Peter in costume), I would travel a long way to go.  Otherwise - can't be bothered.

i think that's the Genesis that used to scare me as a kid/teenager/ 29 year old when i moved in with the OH who loves Genesis

The ‘comeback’ has been and gone......2009 I think......Twickenham was a big show, loved it.

Heading to Hammy Odeon on Nov 29th for the final show of Steve Hackett’s big tour and a full run through of my Number One all time fave album, Selling England.

Originally released in ‘73, still in the Gabriel era. For me it really is a magnificent album which I never tire of playing.

Hackett’s drummer will have to go some to match Phil’s superb work on the album. Much as half the world seem to despise Collins for reasons I have never quite understood, he is for me one hell of a musician.....singer and drummer.....and I think as a solo performer has sold more albums than virtually anyone else in the history of pop music.

• Like 4

So concerts have gotten so gimmicky that artists are not only covering studio albums in their entirety, but live albums too?  That ain't rock & roll, that's a shameless money grab.

Flea u r probably technically right with that assessment......but....Friday at Hammersmith was outstanding. A full run through of Selling England backed up with Hackett’s back catalogue and other Genesis gems such as Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos.

The love in the Odeon from 4,000 (mainly over 60 year old males !) fans was quite wonderful. Top musicianship throughout. It was a great evening.

I urge any lover of Genesis to grab tix for next year’s tour and a full run through of the classic double live album from the late 70s, Seconds Out. It will be amazing. Roll on Nov 5th at the London Palladium !

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned, he can grab as much money as he likes if he's going to play one of the seminal "live albums" of the 70s. I reckon the last time I saw him was about 1983, so it's probably time to get reacquainted!

• Like 1

Rumours suggest they might be announcing a reunion tomorrow morning , 3 of them........

We will see!  

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Here we go...

1659679909_genesis2020.thumb.jpg.b3a4230d69516ec46968cc59f632af17.jpg

I suspect a few excited fans might become less excited when the prices become evident. 

• Sad 1

On 11/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, Flea said:

So concerts have gotten so gimmicky that artists are not only covering studio albums in their entirety, but live albums too?  That ain't rock & roll, that's a shameless money grab.

dude....why are so uptight? As John Riggins of the Washington Redskins said to Justice Sandra Day-O'Connor at a charity event... "Loosen up Sandy baby"

Damn.....Phil is looking........well, rather feeble & delicate. Can he sing well?

genesis-reunion-announcement.jpg?resize=