Sign in to follow this  
MagicRatAFC

Fort William F.C.

So this midweek Britain's worst team finally got a win, 5-2 over Nairn County.

The Fort

There's was a cracking docu on BBC Scotland about them which is well worth a watch.

The Fort TV show

• Like 3

What a top watch, Magic Rat, thanks for the heads up. Proper grass roots stuff. I was up in Scotland earlier this year on a work trip that took a colleague and I into Inverness and out of Aberdeen. We found time for midweek pitch inspections at Cali Thistle, Forres Mechanics (same league as Fort William I think) and Elgin City where we ended up in the boardroom with the club chairman who at 11.30 am asked us if we’d like ‘a wee dram’ !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Royston Vasey said:

What a top watch, Magic Rat, thanks for the heads up. Proper grass roots stuff. I was up in Scotland earlier this year on a work trip that took a colleague and I into Inverness and out of Aberdeen. We found time for midweek pitch inspections at Cali Thistle, Forres Mechanics (same league as Fort William I think) and Elgin City where we ended up in the boardroom with the club chairman who at 11.30 am asked us if we’d like ‘a wee dram’ !

Aye, that sounds about right re: the Elgin board room.

Forres Mechanics ( nickname the Can-Cans) are in the Highland League as well.

They play in probably the most horrible strip you'll ever see.

Yellow and chocolate brown.

They are now kind of famous for being horrible.  They even made the news over here in the US where somebody or other gave them a nice long article.  Apparently there is a demand for jerseys and the like and requests are being made to set up officially sanctioned supporters clubs if you can believe it.  But all the best to them if they can make some money and keep their club going and (hopefully) improving. 

• Like 1

I must tell my mates in FW that their team's being talked about on a Springsteen forum. 

That'll tickle them. :)

• Like 1

After the euphoria of the Cup victory, it’s back to League business with a tough away figure on Saturday against Strathspey Thistle. A number of new loan recruits in from I think Inverness Cali Thistle. Could back to back wins be on the cards ?

Back to losing ways today sadly, a two nil reverse at Srathspey but with 9 new recruits in the squad, it’s bound to take a bit of time for them to bed in. This is a marathon not a sprint.

The Fort are bottom only by two goals from my HL team Clachnacuddin.

Hard times for the Lilywhites. :(

Result from last nights cup quarter final : -

Rothes 1-5 Fort William  

Rothes: Craig Cormack

Fort: Aidan Taylor (3), Jack Brown (2)

• Love Love Love! 1

They're obviously a cup side.

Another big tonking this afternoon for FWFC but at least not as bad as their twitter feed said at one stage......7:3 was then corrected to 6:3 !

That's not a horrible result. Fraserburgh (The Broch or i'burry in common parlance) are fancied for the title. And they're now only one goal behind my team, Clachnacuddin in the league.

Result of the day was Nairn County 1 Brora Rangers 0.

Nairn got shafted by shonky sponsors season before last, hit serious financial problems and went back to a very young, local team.

Brora are big spenders by Highland League standards, so this one is a bit like Bournemouth beating Abu Dhabi Citeh. 

It's been dinging down up here.

Big game and real 6 pointer approaching next Wednesday as FWFC host Clachnacuddin.

Bottom plays third bottom.

Each team currently P5 W0 D0 L5.

Desperate times for both clubs.

A win for either essential to kick start the season.

• Like 1

I've always had a soft spot for Clach since I moved to Inverness in 92, they were my team when I lived in town.

And I bought my first flat in Inverness from their then left back.

Their ground is in the rougher part of town (well, rough by Inverness standards) I recall the first game I ever went to watch them, at half time this old fella came on the tannoy  with the BROADEST Invernessian ("raaaaahbar baaaampar") accent ever.

He was doing the normal half time stuff "Happy brthday to........would the owner of car registration XXXXXX please move it........." etc.

So then there's a pause and he goes "A good pal of mine retired this week, he's an optician. At his retirement doo they presented him with a gift, a massive big painting of an eye. He stood up to give a thank you speech and said 'I'd like to thank you very much for this beautiful gift.......I'm just very thankful I'm not a gynecologist'".

All in this broad accent.

I was in bits.

The Lilleywhites were my team after that and I had some ace times following them.

Bizarrely, the Fort move off the bottom on goal difference by not playing.

Clach and Huntly both lose so their GDs are now one goal worse.

Believe it or not, about twenty minutes ago, I got a phone call from a pal of mine who I haven't seen in ages.

He's at the game.

An odd set of circumstances have found him and his wife there........celebrating her sixty-fifth birthday!