BobbyJames

New Archive: Bridge School Benefit 1986

Anyone know which bit is missing? 

A short section of audio is missing from the master recording. Fan recordings and an alternate soundboard source were used to complete the performance.

As mentioned elsewhere, an anti climax.  

At least there's no repetition with this release.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott Peterson said:

Anyone know which bit is missing? 

•  

To my ears, Hungry Heart and You Can Look sound like soundboard tapes. They don't sound as clear as some of the other songs on here

Train spotting alert.

We didn't know it at the time, but the riff in Seeds is taken from the then unreleased Rockaway The Days.

• Like 3

Just now, bobfan1976 said:

This still feels like a last minute stand in release to me...

My bank account is glad that this isn't up my alley.

Also, I go back to my comment about pricing. 10 songs (a few of which aren't even master tapes) for the same price as a full concert release.

They say they used fan releases, a question I have to those over on the bootleg thread: did anyone drop into the thread asking for the best quality of the bridge school show? might have been Nugs...

No disappointment from me: while it's shorter than would be ideal (twss), I'm stoked to have this in outstanding quality, and with the proceeds going to The Bridge School. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is the version of Fire from the Video Anthology, yes?

• Like 6

Just now, lilbud said:

Also, I go back to my comment about pricing. 10 songs (a few of which aren't even master tapes) for the same price as a full concert release.

I mean, it's a couple bucks cheaper than most of the releases, at least for the mp3s, and $2 of that already reduced price is going to charity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

This still feels like a last minute stand in release to me...

We agree on this bobfan1976

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveJhb said:

This is the version of Fire from the Video Anthology, yes?

Indeed.

• Like 1

For me a great release. One of my first tape trades and an important recording.

”This is a song about the snake that began to eat its own tail.”

Amazing moment now available in its best quality.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

And of course no Helpless or Teach Your Children.

They couldn't get the rights to either of those songs.

• Sad 1

I am a little biased because this show was the first Bruce Springsteen bootleg I ever bought (also my first bootleg by anyone), at the recommendation of the vendor at the record fair (and he was very right). But maybe it is easy to forget how unique this show was in 1986, (many) years before Christic shows and the Joad and D & D solo tours.

A great and very important  show with Bruce trying to get out of his ESB comfort zone, knowing something had to change, one of the first attempts to do something different.

It seems Bruce was feeling quite uncomfortable at some moments during the show (or maybe it was part of the act).

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I wonder how hard they tried.

"Hey, guys—we'd like to include these two CSNY songs." 
"That might mean we have to have some contact with Crosby. That's gonna be a no from us, dawg." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

You Can Look acapella? Not quite as tuneless as the D+D Reason to Believe, but not that far behind. I don't know Rockaway the Days but Seeds could just as easily be borrowing the melody from the verse of Cynthia, certainly it's the same generic three chord structure, so that with Born in the USA makes an almost melody free opening trilogy. Is there an opposite to trifecta? Up to Darlington...and at least it has a nice mandolin//harmonica opening, and the version of Fire is still my favourite, but this is  still a very insubstantial release. For me no Teach Your Children is a blessing, bad enough they are on Hungry Heart, as CSN are one of those groups I just do not get at all; unbearably smug, pretentious, hippy twaddle . At least we can quash the 'Sunderland was pulled' rumour, if Nugs will release this as a stand alone, they'll release anything.

• Like 2

I'm very excited about this release. 

I've always held that Bridge' 86 was unfairly overshadowed by the more celebrated Christic shows from four years later. It's a unique performance, very unlike any of the subsequent solo tours he's done. Performed around the same time as Live 75-85 was being released as a summary statement, this show marks the beginning of Bruce's post-BitUSA career - and the first of many many efforts he has made to reclaim Born in the USA from the misunderstanding masses. The alternative versions of familiar songs are wonderful and one-off. The trio of Bruce, Danny, and Nils was creative and  musically dynamic. It is a familiar enough that you feel you feel you are with old friends, but different enough that you know you're in for something new.*

Most Bruce shows sprawl - even the acoustic solo shows that are closer to the two hour mark have a depth and epicness to them. Bridge '86 accomplishes a lot in a short amount of time, and somehow doesn't feel rushed. 

Bruce really was ahead of his time with this one.  You can think of Bridge '86 as the MTV Unplugged album that Bruce Springsteen never released.  It's a shame that he didn't have an actual Unplugged album in him in the early '90s when he had the chance. Perhaps he rightly sensed then that the '92 band wasn't up to a show like this and didn't want to detract from his new band by performing alone.

Bridge '86, welcome to the Nugs Club!

The combination of "unplugged Bruce with one or two E Streeters" would also be used to great effect in 1988, when Bruce was joined by Clarence at the SOS Racism show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLQYZPp3ix4

• Like 7

I'll probably get flak for this but I'm not a huge fan of Neil Young. 

Also, this is just too small of a setlist.  First archive release I'm passing on. 

2 minutes ago, crdowning said:

I'll probably get flak for this but I'm not a huge fan of Neil Young. 

Also, this is just too small of a setlist.  First archive release I'm passing on. 

Neil, I don't mind, it's the other three I can't stand. I'll listen to this release and alternate with the other acoustic releases for the next few weeks. You're right, very insubstantial release. At least put it out with the other Bridge set from '95.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

At least put it out with the other Bridge set from '95.

That I can agree with. 

• Like 1