BobbyJames

New Archive: Bridge School Benefit 1986

The militant grammarians adhere to the Oxford Dictionary of English as their preferred "prescriptive" guide; ergo, the submodification of "unique" is grammatically acceptable.

Again I say, "Down with pedants!"

34 minutes ago, Mayo said:

Oxford Dictionary of English

unique.png

THIS -

THIS is what this month's release has come down to!

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i wounder if ill like it ?

see i have a horrible confession

i never play the Christic shows :(

seems i don't like every flavour of cool-aid after all :D

well Daisey the first Christic show is something else (okay, both are great, but he was more - much more nervous the first night, and you can hear it in his voice, a quiver at some times, that adds to the extra emotion of it; it's an amazing show. The second night certainly has its highlights and must-hear moments too. Unfortunately Bruce's voice is actually mixed too loud on the download, and the audience did add something to the shows, they were very special, and unique - but you should give it a chance (yes it's still quite listenable, and they're totally historic, incredible shows). When you listen, remember he hadn't done anything since Amnesty in 1988 except firing the band in 1989, so...and there was no new music [not til '92!]....the shows were considered as some sort of live album, which I think could have been brilliant, but, it of course never happened. Bruce meanwhile fell out of the public eye only to emerge with Human Touch and Lucky Town of course.

So with this show, we've got Bruce, and also Danny and Nils come out, and it was his first solo show since....'72? And the live album was about to come out...he was at the commercial height of his career (I couldn't get a ticket to this! I wanted to go....SO many request, millions, were sent in trying to get a ticket, I forget the ratio but man forget it, if one got one, one was lucky [I knew someone who went to see Robin Williams! I forgot about that!]....and I couldn't afford one by the time of the show to try a scalper...plus the word was he would do 3 or 4 songs....(like all that Neil Young did when I saw him years later at the Bridge...grrr!)....

anyway there are very special versions of Born In The USA, and Seeds, and Dancing In The Dark, and Fire was used for the video of the Winterland/box set version (yeah, that makes sense, but better than no video) and a nice Follow That Dream. The main beef many of us have with this (not speaking for everyone) is 1) we expected something "deep" in the vaults - Flynn, 33 years ago is a long time, but with Bruce's career, Deep in the vaults means the '70s - or at least pre-Born In The U.S.A.; and 2) we've heard or seen it before via pro-shot video, hell it's on you tube! and 3) it's not a very long show - I mean, 10 songs? with the CSNY songs left off as well? 10 songs. That's not even half a typical Bruce show...well maybe half of one pre-1978?

It's a good show. Darlington County is maybe the weakest song on it, if I recall right. You may enjoy some.

Like this version of Follow That Dream:

(also here, with pro-shot video and audience sound):

(why didn't they just offer 1080p mp4 downloads?)

Now listen to that Christic show sometime, it's a MUST! :)

(I mean those Christic shows)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Again I am thankful that my daliances into bootleg land came late and were largely restricted to the famous radio shows and absolute best audience / IEM / matrix recordings due to my aversion to poor quality sound wise.

Because, outside of Fire, I've never heard any of this and am enjoying the hell out of it. A looser, more fun listen than any of the other acoustic shows officially released so far.

Multiple musicians adds a lot to it. I'm one who really wants to see Bruce tour with small three or four person electric combo, but failing that an acoustic tour with a few extra musicians would for me be the next best thing. Artistically more interesting at this point in time than just him alone IMHO if going the acoustic route

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Important gig and an important career release! 

Its hard to explain to the young folks just how huge Bruce was at this point and to see him do a such a small set like this at the time was a big deal! And with E Streeters! This sorta stuff would make it to National Entertainment News. Back then, we all watched the same shit as most had the same stations  

We all thought for sure ‘Seeds’ was gonna be on the next album after BIUSA but when he released a live version the following month, all bets were off. 

Good memories,

Brad

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

I am a little biased because this show was the first Bruce Springsteen bootleg I ever bought (also my first bootleg by anyone), at the recommendation of the vendor at the record fair (and he was very right). But maybe it is easy to forget how unique this show was in 1986, (many) years before Christic shows and the Joad and D & D solo tours.

A great and very important  show with Bruce trying to get out of his ESB comfort zone, knowing something had to change, one of the first attempts to do something different.

It seems Bruce was feeling quite uncomfortable at some moments during the show (or maybe it was part of the act).

Great Point Lampi .... There was no internet when this show took place and i honestly knew little about it .... But in retrospect a hugely important transitional moment for "The Boss" who was ready to be Bruce for awhile ....and they are charging two dollars less which is cool.

Not my favorite version of "You Can Look" though :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

Maybe this performance of You Can Look... was a little inspiration for dusting off the originally rockabilly version (as found on The Ties That Bind, single album) for the Tunnel Tour.

Now i like it better :lol:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

Bruce's second Bridge Benefit show was seen as a little (or maybe even more than a little) disappointment then, in 1995.

Or maybe they lost the mastertape.

I had to read that twice to ensure that we are still talking about mastertaping.

9 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

This is why I just smile at the comments that this release is inconsequential. Aside from the fact that anyone could label any or all of these releases as inconsequential, let's consider the reality that of all the Springsteen fans in the world, the ones who rabidly seek out and collect bootlegs are the minority.

Excellent points as usual. I would suspect, however, that the correlation between those who buy these archival releases and those who collect bootlegs is much stronger than those who collect than between those who buy studio albums and those who collect bootlegs. 

Having said that, I am surprised (and surprised to be surprised) by the negative reaction to this release. I was stoked to see it and thought others would be as well. I've read all the arguments for why it's a disappointment and remain somewhat baffled and a bit disheartened. I don't work for Thrill Hill or JLM but I imagine that if I did I'd read these threads and think, jeez louise, what do you people want from us? For years you've been asking for this sort of program and then you get -- for eight bucks! some of which is going to charity! -- a release you would have happily paid $20 for, for some warped vinyl or a shitty high-gen cassette (or CD-R burned from a shitty high-gen cassette), twenty or thirty years ago and all you can do is piss and moan, "HARD PASS."

There have been months that have interested me less than other months, some a whole lot less than others. But I don't take it as a personal affront. I just shrug and think how cool it is that they're doing this at all and that maybe next month'll be more up my alley.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, soulcrusader78 said:

well Daisey the first Christic show is something else (okay, both are great, but he was more - much more nervous the first night, and you can hear it in his voice, a quiver at some times, that adds to the extra emotion of it; it's an amazing show. The second night certainly has its highlights and must-hear moments too. Unfortunately Bruce's voice is actually mixed too loud on the download, and the audience did add something to the shows, they were very special, and unique - but you should give it a chance (yes it's still quite listenable, and they're totally historic, incredible shows). When you listen, remember he hadn't done anything since Amnesty in 1988 except firing the band in 1989, so...and there was no new music [not til '92!]....the shows were considered as some sort of live album, which I think could have been brilliant, but, it of course never happened. Bruce meanwhile fell out of the public eye only to emerge with Human Touch and Lucky Town of course.

So with this show, we've got Bruce, and also Danny and Nils come out, and it was his first solo show since....'72? And the live album was about to come out...he was at the commercial height of his career (I couldn't get a ticket to this! I wanted to go....SO many request, millions, were sent in trying to get a ticket, I forget the ratio but man forget it, if one got one, one was lucky [I knew someone who went to see Robin Williams! I forgot about that!]....and I couldn't afford one by the time of the show to try a scalper...plus the word was he would do 3 or 4 songs....(like all that Neil Young did when I saw him years later at the Bridge...grrr!)....

anyway there are very special versions of Born In The USA, and Seeds, and Dancing In The Dark, and Fire was used for the video of the Winterland/box set version (yeah, that makes sense, but better than no video) and a nice Follow That Dream. The main beef many of us have with this (not speaking for everyone) is 1) we expected something "deep" in the vaults - Flynn, 33 years ago is a long time, but with Bruce's career, Deep in the vaults means the '70s - or at least pre-Born In The U.S.A.; and 2) we've heard or seen it before via pro-shot video, hell it's on you tube! and 3) it's not a very long show - I mean, 10 songs? with the CSNY songs left off as well? 10 songs. That's not even half a typical Bruce show...well maybe half of one pre-1978?

It's a good show. Darlington County is maybe the weakest song on it, if I recall right. You may enjoy some.

Like this version of Follow That Dream:

(also here, with pro-shot video and audience sound):

(why didn't they just offer 1080p mp4 downloads?)

Now listen to that Christic show sometime, it's a MUST! :)

(I mean those Christic shows)

thank you :)

ok i downloaded this one

your post convinced me 

and I'll have to find Christic because i have a bad feeling it was on my phone that got stolen 

what does the sweet little instrumental bits in seeds remind me off ?

its killing me

plus does anyone know how to turn shuffle off using the samsung music app ?

hmmmm i actually like this Darlington county 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

what does the sweet little instrumental bits in seeds remind me off ?

its killing me

plus does anyone know how to turn shuffle off using the samsung music app ?

There should be an icon on the now playing screen that looks like two crossed arrows. That's the shuffle icon. It looks similar to this.

th?id=OIP.EeQbHzGPVZ3MpcFlWINRdgHaHa&pid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

There should be an icon on the now playing screen that looks like two crossed arrows. That's the shuffle icon. It looks similar to this.

yes thank you

i never thought id hear it in seeds :lol:

being a big fan of full band angry seeds 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

now im working on the shuffle

thats what it sometimes looks like, when i was playing shuffle 5 songs with Jimmy ???

but today this is what im looking at today 

now i have Santa  clause is comming to town playing  .....and i only like that on winterland because im a Christmas kill joy 

Screenshot_20190810-143818.png

• Like 1

give me strength

now i have Jessie james 

downloadfile-2.gif

• Haha 2

I'm just taking a wild guess here...

Screenshot-20190810-143818-thumb-png-3ac

3 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm just taking a wild guess here...

Screenshot-20190810-143818-thumb-png-3ac

:lol:

i did try that but it didn't seem to do snything

btw i am VERY impressed at that red circle

there isnt enough time left for me to ever learn how to do that:D

i think last time this happened i just bubmled through till i randomly made it go away 

Go into the settings. That three-dot symbol up on the right is a menu. Settings/preferences in there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

btw i am VERY impressed at that red circle

there isnt enough time left for me to ever learn how to do that

Paint program is your friend.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

Maybe this performance of You Can Look... was a little inspiration for dusting off the originally rockabilly version (as found on The Ties That Bind, single album) for the Tunnel Tour.

Good point. Also, maybe Ain't Got You was already in the works at this point, too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

This is why I just smile at the comments that this release is inconsequential. Aside from the fact that anyone could label any or all of these releases as inconsequential, let's consider the reality that of all the Springsteen fans in the world, the ones who rabidly seek out and collect bootlegs are the minority. Let's also consider that this was Bruce's first acoustic show since 1972 and that alone made it a big deal at the time. I often wonder how a show that was always considered essential as a bootleg becomes inconsequential when officially released.

I've heard this show upwards of fifty times, I'm sure. I'm glad to have ti in the Archive Series and glad to make it my Friday night listen.

Another treasured bootleg gets deleted. 

Exactly.

• Like 2

I didn't know anything about this show. So I'm really happy with this release although it's a short show. And it is directly a good reason to play the Christic shows which for me were also unknown before this Archive series started. So these are the real treasures of this archive series!!

• Like 5

Glad to hear you're discovering new shows through the Archive Series.

• Like 6