BobbyJames

New Archive: Bridge School Benefit 1986

4 hours ago, Michigan Line said:

downright essential for any proper fan

Would respectfully disagree.  I get many people love this but I and others don’t.  This doesn’t in anyway invalidate someone being a fan.  Pretty much anyone that buys shows from this programme will be a huge fan that probably has scores of boots, the majority of the studio output and an insane to the average person number of versions of BTR on their iPod!

• Like 1

Only just had chance to play the HD files on this one. What a great show. Brilliant to have such different versions of what, on paper, seems an uninspiring set list today. 

Love the Rock away the days style Seeds. Darlington County is enough to make anyone who dislikes it, love it. Mansion on the hill, just beautiful. And who could believe Dancing In The Dark and Glory Days would be better than hundreds of versions I already have. 

To top it all, a sublime version of my favourite all time Bruce ‘cover’, Follow that dream. Hardly a cover though, it’s a Bruce original in almost every sense. Great, release. An absolute treat and easy to listen to this short set through all at once. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Darlington County is enough to make anyone who dislikes it, love it. 

Weeeeeell, no.

• Haha 1

I don't particularly love the regular Darlington, but love this one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Mansion on the hill, just beautiful.

Yes indeed.

In a show with radicaal new versions, it seems Mansion On The Hill, not that different from the original compared to all the other songs, is a bit overlooked.

This must be the one show where Bruce has a tambourine strapped to his foot. 

Love Nils playing the melody on Seeds and Darlington, and Fire is just great. 

Most of this show doesn't really do it for me. I'd never really listened to this show much... I thought I was going to love it... I mean, Bruce, Danny and Nils acoustic sounds right up my street. And a couple of songs live up to it... I dig Mansion & Follow That Dream... And Fire is a good version. 

The rest doesn't do it for me. I feel like most of the songs lack any kind of drive or conviction...  Most of them feel like they're running out of steam about halfway through. 

It feels like he's trying to hard to give it the ESB feel with just two guys as back up where it would have been a lot more effective if he'd changed the feel of the performance more drastically - as he would for later acoustic shows (like the 1990 shows and Joad and D+D tours). 

And that version of Seeds is ridiculous... And Hungry Heart is a mess. 

On 8/10/2019 at 2:19 AM, soulcrusader78 said:

(also here, with pro-shot video and audience sound)

This, the video of Follow That Dream, shows what a 'real' MTV Unplugged could have been. Maybe.