Sign in to follow this  
Daisey Jeep

trouble uploading photos

Recommended Posts

i thought this was just me and i must have done something to my phone while trying to disable shuffle that made my pictures huge 

but then i read @Cozmic Kid was also having trouble and photography is a real passion to him so maybe its not my phone after all .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the file size has been limited on attachments and the best way to post photos will be to link them from a hosting site such as https://postimages.org/.

Using a hosting site, you upload the photos to the site, then you copy the image address by right clicking on the photo and paste it in the "insert photo from URL" field.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I believe the file size has been limited on attachments and the best way to post photos will be to link them from a hosting site such as https://postimages.org/.

Using a hosting site, you upload the photos to the site, then you copy the image address by right clicking on the photo and paste it in the "insert photo from URL" field.

i don't think im that clever...

but ill try 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Create a free account at https://postimages.org/ or some other free image hosting site.

2. Upload your photo. (If you can do that on the Lake you can do it on any site)

3. Right click on the photo once it's uploaded, from the menu, choose "copy image address."

4. In the posting field on Greasy Lake, down at the bottom right click "insert other media."

5. From the two options, choose "insert image from url."

6. In the pop-up field provided, right click and "paste."

7. Click "insert into post."

8. You're done.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other day when the server was having problems, it was due to us running out of disk space. One of the things that really took up space was files uploaded through this message board. All files are now stored on an Amazon S3 cloud drive. I may turn up the file size again when I know for sure how much space we use, how much bandwidth we use, etc. That determines how much we need to pay for the Amazon cloud drive, if anything.

And yes, I can only encourage you to use some other service if you want to store large images and then link to them. That would help keep GL at its current cost, which is high enough as it is.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CosmicKid said:

The other day when the server was having problems, it was due to us running out of disk space. One of the things that really took up space was files uploaded through this message board. All files are now stored on an Amazon S3 cloud drive. I may turn up the file size again when I know for sure how much space we use, how much bandwidth we use, etc. That determines how much we need to pay for the Amazon cloud drive, if anything.

And yes, I can only encourage you to use some other service if you want to store large images and then link to them. That would help keep GL at its current cost, which is high enough as it is.

oh dear i had no idea

im terribly greatful to G/L for storing ny pictures of the late great and much loved and missed Tinky on the cat thread, because ive had so many personal  IT disasters that's all i have

next time we need a wip around around here i must remember this

surly i must be able to reduce the size of the pictures my phone takes ...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

1. Create a free account at https://postimages.org/ or some other free image hosting site.

2. Upload your photo. (If you can do that on the Lake you can do it on any site)

3. Right click on the photo once it's uploaded, from the menu, choose "copy image address."

4. In the posting field on Greasy Lake, down at the bottom right click "insert other media."

5. From the two options, choose "insert image from url."

6. In the pop-up field provided, right click and "paste."

7. Click "insert into post."

8. You're done.

i will

thank you :)

i feel bad if ive been a freeloading burden on Denmark without realizing it :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CosmicKid said:

The other day when the server was having problems, it was due to us running out of disk space. One of the things that really took up space was files uploaded through this message board. All files are now stored on an Amazon S3 cloud drive. I may turn up the file size again when I know for sure how much space we use, how much bandwidth we use, etc. That determines how much we need to pay for the Amazon cloud drive, if anything.

And yes, I can only encourage you to use some other service if you want to store large images and then link to them. That would help keep GL at its current cost, which is high enough as it is.

May I suggest a PSA on the main boards advising everyone to use a free hosting site rather than upload to the Lake? Many people don't look down here unless they are experiencing a problem.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CosmicKid said:

The other day when the server was having problems, it was due to us running out of disk space. One of the things that really took up space was files uploaded through this message board. All files are now stored on an Amazon S3 cloud drive. I may turn up the file size again when I know for sure how much space we use, how much bandwidth we use, etc. That determines how much we need to pay for the Amazon cloud drive, if anything.

And yes, I can only encourage you to use some other service if you want to store large images and then link to them. That would help keep GL at its current cost, which is high enough as it is.

Is it possible to just delete files older than 3 months? And then do that like every 3rd month.

I used to use other places to upload. But eventually files got smaller and adds got more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

May I suggest a PSA on the main boards advising everyone to use a free hosting site rather than upload to the Lake? Many people don't look down here unless they are experiencing a problem.

I may do that eventually, but I'm still kind of assessing what's needed. I may turn the file size up again if it can be done without skyrocketing the cost of the Amazon S3.

10 hours ago, Cozmic Kid said:

Is it possible to just delete files older than 3 months? And then do that like every 3rd month.

I used to use other places to upload. But eventually files got smaller and adds got more.

Anything's possible, but I don't like to delete stuff if I can avoid it. And there would be no way to tell which attachment appear in threads that are still active.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 6:52 AM, CosmicKid said:

I may do that eventually, but I'm still kind of assessing what's needed. I may turn the file size up again if it can be done without skyrocketing the cost of the Amazon S3.

Anything's possible, but I don't like to delete stuff if I can avoid it. And there would be no way to tell which attachment appear in threads that are still active.

please never delete Just Bruce or the for for the ladies thread and please dont delete any of the cat and dog thread 

or the SLV threads 

pretty please 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people have had trouble with uploading photos to a hosting site for linking here. For purposes of this tutorial, we will be using https://postimages.org/. These instructions are for Windows operating systems.

1. Go to https://postimages.org/ and sign up for an account.

2. Once your account is active, use the navigation links at the top of the page to go to the upload page.

3. Click the choose images button.

4. File explorer will open. Navigate to the location of the photos you want to upload.

5. You can select a single photo or you can hold down the ctrl button while clicking multiple files for upload.

6. On the file explorer, click open.

7. The photos will upload and progress bars will be displayed.

8. You will now see thumbnails for the uploaded photos and you can click on those or go to your album and view all photos.

9. Right click on the photo you want to link to Greasy Lake and choose "copy image address."

10. Open Greasy Lake in another tab and go to the post reply field. On the lower right click "insert other media" then click "insert image from url."

11. Paste the image address into the pop-up field and click insert into post.

12. That should take care of it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this