risingaurora

Nugs asking fans for views on 'holy grail' live release

Interesting tweet from Nugs - asking fans to name their holy grail of live releases. 

Clear majority stating Vets '81 show. Are they testing the water? Responding to the lukewarm response to releases in last two months? Maybe they know the Vets show is the one and they are lining it up anyway. This could be a tease.

Or of course it could mean SFA. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ALL of the above (and I dare say a few more we could come up with if we spent time thinking about it) - but no big surprise that Vets will be top (or very close to top) of any list/poll...…...interesting stuff...…...maybe they should just be pointed to the ongoing thread on here which will give them loads of feedback on what HAS been released (how it goes down) and what everyone would like to see released!?  Watch this space I guess!?

You'd think it would be quite easy for them to compile a list themselves of the most famous bootlegged shows from down through the decades (Vets, Bottom Line, Roxy, WInterland, Where the Rivers Meet, New Years Eve 80/81 (done!), Meadowlands shows (some done) etc, etc are ALL there to be known about - there must be half a dozen "obvious" titles - yet to be done - that are no brainers...….and Vets will come up every time, every poll/list!    

• Like 1

Vets show at the top!

I'm finding it hard to breathe.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, musicdav24 said:

Winterland 78

Main Point 75

Bottom Line 75

Vets Show 81

Full Tempe Show (audio) 80

& 3/25/1977

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

What is the big deal about the Vets show? I've never listened to it so I'm genuinely curious as to what makes it so special?

PS. This might have been a good opportunity for us to all gang up and tweet Wembley 2002 at them, eh?

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 5

The intensity of Bruce during the Darkness shows combined with E Street Band at the peak of their powers and Bruce very emotional performance

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, -Sussudio- said:

What is the big deal about the Vets show? I've never listened to it so I'm genuinely curious as to what makes it so special?

That would be like trying to describe colours to a blind person.  You need to hear it.

The greatest Who'll STR, for starters.  Ballad Of Easy Rider.  

Bruce starts crying at one point and stops singing, according to legend. 

Intense stuff.

WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / THE TIES THAT BIND / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / JOHNNY BYE-BYE / INDEPENDENCE DAY / TRAPPED / TWO HEARTS / OUT IN THE STREET / THE PROMISED LAND / THE RIVER / THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / HUNGRY HEART / YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) / CADILLAC RANCH / SHERRY DARLING / JOLÉ BLON / WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY / RACING IN THE STREET / CANDY'S ROOM / RAMROD / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / JUNGLELAND / BALLAD OF EASY RIDER / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT

The concert is a benefit for the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation and the first night of six in Los Angeles. The outstanding 29-song set features passionate versions of many songs, including "The River", "Who'll Stop The Rain", "Prove It All Night", and "Darkness On The Edge Of Town". Also, includes a stunning tour one-off performance of The Byrds' "Ballad Of Easy Rider". Springsteen stops singing during "The River", either due to overwhelming emotion or to shake hands with the veterans seated around the stage - opinion is divided. An outstanding "Detroit Medley" includes snippets of "I Hear A Train", "Land Of 1000 Dances", "Sweet Soul Music", and "Shake". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" also includes a brief "Sweet Soul Music" during the band introductions. Widely considered one of Springsteen's finest shows, with some justification.

00Photo-32.png00Ticket-32.png00Story-32.png00News-32.png00Audio-32.png00Bootleg-32.png

• Like 5

And unlike the famous radio shows and other shows which are already available in very good-excellent sound quality the tapes in circulation of the Vietnam show are good but not very great sound quality.

So, what was said about Agora 1978 and the first Nassau 31.12.1980 release -that the bootlegs of the show had better sound quality than the official release-will not be said about the Vietnam show  (at least probably not).

• Like 4

A show from the Spring 1976 tour.

A show from the Fall 1976 tour.

More shows from 1977.

A 1974 show.

A show from Suki Lahav era.

An early BTR Tour show (Summer 1975).

A show from Fall 1984.

A Steel Mill show.

L.A.Forum 5 July 1978.

Atlanta 30 September 1978.

South Bend 9 September 1978 ( Also because the  tape in circulation of this very great show sadly misses a few songs).

Cleveland 31.12.1978; Cleveland 1.1.1979; Portland 19.12.1978 and Seattle 20.12.1978.

More 1978 and even more 1978 as EVERYTHING...

European show 1981 (from continent not UK).

Thank You Nugs! Our bank accounts are waiting for you!

• Like 4

I've never doubted that the show will be released, IF they have a usable tape.

The use of an alternative soundboard source to complete 29/12/80 raises the possibility that they could still have a good recording even if there's no multi-track. 

• Like 2

Last Show Of The Century (Minneapolis 11/29/1999).

But of course I am biased.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

A show from the Spring 1976 tour.

A show from the Fall 1976 tour.

More shows from 1977.

A 1974 show.

A show from Suki Lahav era.

An early BTR Tour show (Summer 1975).

A show from Fall 1984.

A Steel Mill show.

L.A.Forum 5 July 1978.

Atlanta 30 September 1978.

South Bend 9 September 1978 ( Also because the  tape in circulation of this very great show sadly misses a few songs).

Cleveland 31.12.1978; Cleveland 1.1.1979; Portland 19.12.1978 and Seattle 20.12.1978.

More 1978 and even more 1978 as EVERYTHING...

European show 1981 (from continent not UK).

Thank You Nugs! Our bank accounts are waiting for you!

Affirm Lampi

great list Lampi

i think some have a very expansive view of holy grail but not you

33 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Last Show Of The Century (Minneapolis 11/29/1999).

But of course I am biased.

I always love hearing shows I was at, brings big smiles to my face. 

• Like 2

How about 6/30/85 Paris? I know he is saving this one for the box set, but I can wish right? 

Well I don’t use twitter or Facebook so if someone fancies replying as follows, that would be lovely:

PASSAIC f***1*g NIGHT 1 19/09/78 please

ta muchly :)

6 hours ago, BruceWho said:

ALL of the above (and I dare say a few more we could come up with if we spent time thinking about it) - but no big surprise that Vets will be top (or very close to top) of any list/poll...…...interesting stuff...…...maybe they should just be pointed to the ongoing thread on here which will give them loads of feedback on what HAS been released (how it goes down) and what everyone would like to see released!?  Watch this space I guess!?

You'd think it would be quite easy for them to compile a list themselves of the most famous bootlegged shows from down through the decades (Vets, Bottom Line, Roxy, WInterland, Where the Rivers Meet, New Years Eve 80/81 (done!), Meadowlands shows (some done) etc, etc are ALL there to be known about - there must be half a dozen "obvious" titles - yet to be done - that are no brainers...….and Vets will come up every time, every poll/list!    

Where the rivers meet may be my favourite BITUSA show.  Hope to see that at some point.

• Like 1

OMG - look at all those shows representing the 3rd, 4th and 5th albums!! As if the dude never played again after 1981! Wow. Ok, your all entitled but here's my requests:

October 2, 1985 - LA (I dont know how this hasn't been released yet but I thought it would be on the new box set)

October 31st, 1984 - LA (Best Ever!)

October 1, 3/4, 2003 - NY (Any of these)

May 3, 1988 - Mountain View

November 24-26, 1996 - Asbury Park

NUGS: You need stuff from EARLY Rising; Magic; Working and Wrecking Ball tours!!

Brad

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I always love hearing shows I was at, brings big smiles to my face. 

Nice! I was there!

PS: Ya know - fellow Lakers, remember what I'm about to say here:

The shows we all love so much (any listed above) are loved not just because of what was played that particular evening BUT also because of the audience participation!!!!! Hence, NUGS doesn't give us ANY of that!!!!!!!! Of course it would be wonderful to hear our favorite shows in perfect clarity but just remember the shows that NUGS will release won't be anything like the recordings we came to love.

Brad

Funny timing to that tweet.  I hadn't really dived into the Nugs catelog until over the past weekend, and in doing so I found one of my holy grails.  The Jerry Garcia Band at the Warner Theatre in DC from 1978.  Been playing it LOUD in my car all week.

Winterland DVD.

All of the answers above this are shows that you would hear, not see.  Pay attention to the question that was asked.

8 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Winterland DVD.

All of the answers above this are shows that you would hear, not see.  Pay attention to the question that was asked.

i don't tweet

and someone please vote this for me 

• Like 1