Greasy Lake Community

Songs of hope vs. Songs of eternal damnation

Songs of hope vs. songs of eternal damnation?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's your choice?

• songs of hope
    • songs of eternal damnation

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:00 PM

2 hours ago, 1651997 said:

Not anymore! (Sorry about that :D)

This was probably the hardest poll I answered around here, it's not easy to choose just one of those.

I have never imagined that being a devoted Bruce fan would be this hard. 

:P

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:03 AM, JimCT said:

Hope for me - Y’all are a dark bunch sometimes ;) 

It was a very hard decision, because I love both.

But I ultimately came down on the side of hope, because LOHAD is my favorite song from Bruce's last two decades.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

11 hours ago, Skin2Skin said:

It was a very hard decision, because I love both.

But I ultimately came down on the side of hope, because LOHAD is my favorite song from Bruce's last two decades.

I love that song.

That's the kind of hope I need (Bruce's own take on Chimes of Freedom), rather than the movie-type happily-ever-after type of Thunder Road. (A beautiful song, but it's good Bruce didn't play that song at the Freehold '96 show, for most people in that audience surely did not pull out of their "town full of losers." Most people don't. Fight the everyday battles...not look for some beautiful escape that won't happen)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I love that song.

That's the kind of hope I need (Bruce's own take on Chimes of Freedom), rather than the movie-type happily-ever-after type of Thunder Road. (A beautiful song, but it's good Bruce didn't play that song at the Freehold '96 show, for most people in that audience surely did not pull out of their "town full of losers." Most people don't. Fight the everyday battles...not look for some beautiful escape that won't happen)

thats kind of deep 

i really enjoy the beautiful intros to thunder road but my go tos are LOHAD and across the boarder .... in the contex of this thread they cancel them selves out ! but then the promise is at number 3 on my favourits list so once again the darkness wins ! 

i never thought about the people in Freehold like that before - i guess they don't hold any grudges :lol:

i left my town to try to make a sucess of my life, but its alot harder than the optimum of thunder road would have you beleave. its alot closer to the promise 

i miss Dunedin every day i have been away but I'll never be able to go back

after 7 generations i have no close family there except the ones at the cemetry and the city has moved on without me 

Dunedin just lives in my heart 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tanqueray&Wine said:

Threadworthy.

absolutly 

it would be called

why DOTEOT is the greatest album ever in the history of mankind

and i guess that's why, as Bruce said, the promise had no place on it at the time, as it had zero hope

23 hours ago, Tanqueray&Wine said:

Being an eternal damnation guy I couldn't sit around letting hope draw level.

absolutly im with you

On 8/17/2019 at 12:09 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

We're not dark, man.

We're eternally damned.

it does feel that well sometimes

but at least we don't feel it alone 

59 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

absolutly 

it would be called

why DOTEOT is the greatest album ever in the history of mankind

and i guess that's why, as Bruce said, the promise had no place on it at the time, as it had zero hope

Bruce said The Promise had zero hope?

ha, maybe that's why it's one of my favorites....

1 hour ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Bruce said The Promise had zero hope?

ha, maybe that's why it's one of my favorites....

i think either on the promise doco or in an interview at about that time

first time i heard it was on LINYC 

i had no idea it was a rearity but for the first time in my life i heard someone who felt like i did. i wasn't alome any more because Bruce gave me the empathy no one else ever had and i realized if other people felt like that with Bruce then i wasn't alone

but honesty ive learnt as much as i love this song, missery likes company and this song has zero hope and i limit how much i wallow in it becsuse its not good to be misserable 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:15 AM, Lampi said:

There is hope in the lyrics, without doubt. Not something that can be said about most otherJoad songs.

Dry Lightning, and Across The Border of course. But the optimism of Across The Border then becomes the eternal damnation -or at least death- in Matamoros Banks.

oh i looooooove Matamoros banks 

Is Walk Like A Man a song about hope or about eternal damnation?

And about fear, failure, and the fear to fail.

Maybe this question can be asked for more songs on the Tunnel album-or even the whole Tunnel album.

The first 3 songs are about hope, but after that it gets difficult. Bobby is doomed, Janey is not, and maybe there is hope the child will not be like his father.

And there is hope in Valentine's Day, but it is false hope as we all know how it ended-but maybe with the hope the next try would be better-and it was.

This all thoughts while listening to the Nebraska album in the dark [before posting].

• Like 2

I lean toward the darker stuff. It's what I relate to. It speaks to my life experience & worldview. But I have to be careful listening to it, as it can trigger me into a depressive funk quite easily. But if I'm already in one, that's what I'll listen to. A lot. 

Songs of Damnation are what I feed my Black Dog when he's hungry (which is most of the time).

Songs of Salvation are what I listen to when he's finally full.

• Like 3

To me, "Walk Like a Man" links up with "Backstreets" in a way that I find very sad. In "Backstreets," he seems to know that trying to "walk like the heroes we thought we had to be" is a fool's game; he's figured out by now that he and Terry don't have to be the heroes on the screen, and that they couldn't be if they tried. But in "Walk Like A Man," he seems to have lost that sense of perspective; he's genuinely trying to walk like his hero, even though that hero is his troubled, emotionally abusive father who shouldn't be anybody's role model. And what makes it sadder, to me, is that he doesn't seem to realize how screwed up that is.

So I guess it's about hope, but false hope. Or no - worse than that, it is false hope. It's someone expressing a genuine and heartfelt determination to succeed at something you know he's going to fail at.

• Like 2

This is not just a regular bump. :)

I was thinking if there's a correlation between loving the eternally damned songs, and being a cat person.

Those of you who voted, does my theory apply to you?

Thanks.

• Like 1