33 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band should be banned from playing future concerts that do not include Racing in the Street. 

He is a genius / hero. 

Get on the road, we're ready. 

that's the version of racing that really opened my eyes to how very magnificent the ESB really are 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

34 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band should be banned from playing future concerts that do not include Racing in the Street. 

He is a genius / hero. 

i wore out  out our first dvd player playing that show

in all honestly it was probably on borrowed time from LINYC 

but finally the in out stopped going in and out and Bruce and the boys were trapped inside

the dvd had been out a week 

i had to undo about 400 little tiny screws to get my disk back out ! 

• Like 1

Then there’s opener this that we got in Mohegan Sun... :) 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Think I'm correct in saying Racing hasn't been a regular on the set list since the Born In The U.S.A tour. Likewise with Jungleland, and Incident hasn't been played regularly since the seventies, I think.

Have often wondered if Bruce is just trying to keep them special by playing them infrequently, he must surely know what great songs they are. He hasn't applied that logic to other classics like Born To Run and Badlands though?

As a result of this still waiting to hear Incident 34 years after my first concert!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that's the version of racing that really opened my eyes to how very magnificent the ESB really are 

That one felt pretty good on the night. One of those moments that really stands out amongst all the Bruce gigs. 

• Love Love Love! 1

I have been lucky enough to see Racing quite a few times, including this Hyde Park show and also the London stop on the 2008 barnstorm tour, Dublin on one occasion and Kilkenny. Pretty lucky. 

23 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

I have been lucky enough to see Racing quite a few times,

Same here.  According to my “bosstime stats” 15 to be exact.  Plus the one ‘78 I posted above.

So VERY lucky indeed!   

• Like 2

Any excuse to consult the Bruce anorak stats (in these times of no tour one hardly looks at them, I last updated mine after my SOB show) - Racing I've seen a dozen times, 11 ESB and 1 solo show (and was also at that Hyde Park gig - thee highlight of that show!).  Incident I waited a bit longer for and remains rarer, I've only had 3 of those and one of them was a solo at the piano show opener but an ESB gig (Paris).  These stats from 113 shows.

• Like 1

I have heard -and seen- Incident on 57th Street 2 times, at my 6th and 7th show, both solo piano versions.

How many people here have (had) heard Incident on 57th Street 2 times after only 7 shows?

(Feel free to put me on 'ignore' after this post).

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, risingaurora said:

He is a genius / hero. 

The last "big one" I haven't heard live (aside from super rarities like Thundercrack).  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, risingaurora said:

He is a genius / hero. 

I haven’t heard Racing since Hampton 85. Song kills just about every time I listen to it.

I was lucky enough to get Racing played at my first ever Bruce show at Newcastle in June 1985 on the BITUSA tour. It was sheer perfection. The sound was just magnificent as well, crystal clear. Another great version of Racing was at the 02 London show in 2007 I was lucky to hear as well. Only got Incident played one time...Hampden Park, Glasgow on the WOAD tour. It was worth the wait. Have to say I absolutely love the solo piano version of Incident from the Barcelona DVD. I wish he would play these epic songs more often.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Have to say I absolutely love the solo piano version of Incident from the Barcelona DVD.

I do too. But I love the version I got in Glendale, AZ even more: :wub:

I've seen Racing a few times (3 for the classic version, twice for the Promise version with Joe G), but the most recent was for a great sign: :)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

And here I thought everything is everything. 

My bad 

• Haha 3

Seen Racing a few times but no Incident (:(). I seem to remember being particularly taken by the one I heard at Crystal Palace on the Rising tour. Crystal Palace - sounds like a magical Disney kingdom. Reality - a concrete shithole.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, rosiejaneymary said:

Same here.  According to my “bosstime stats” 15 to be exact.  Plus the one ‘78 I posted above.

So VERY lucky indeed!   

15 !!! Thats impressive....I think only 4 for me.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

Seen Racing a few times but no Incident (:(). I seem to remember being particularly taken by the one I heard at Crystal Palace on the Rising tour. Crystal Palace - sounds like a magical Disney kingdom. Reality - a concrete shithole.

I lost it during Racing at that Crystal Palace gig! I did both nights - night 1 down on the pitch / dance floor, night 2 we were with friends, one of whom is vertically challenged so we opted for seats in the stand. Unfortunately (as is often the case with London gigs!!) we had "talkers" behind us - basically half interested folks for whom this was that night outs entertainment / thing to do (in London).

You sort of have to tolerate this (to a degree) and when the music is loud you can kinda block it out (or they do less of it "anyway" because things are "loud") but as the band went in to Racing (which is always a gift!) these two guys behind were talking all over it - loudly - and about work for Christ sake!!! - I lost it - I turned round and said "why don't you two f*** off down the pub - put him on the jukebox in the background - and talk about bloody work until your hearts content - the rest of us have come to hear HIM, not YOU!"  In doing so I was expecting (and to be frank ready and willing...…..that's how pissed I was!) it all to kick off - but these two looked at each other in shock, proceeded to leave their seats and walk down to the pitch area, and carried on "talking" with their backs more or less turned on the band/stage...…...what a waste of a ticket!!!  Sadly though a common occurrence I've found at London gigs for all sorts of artists!

• Like 2

Brilliant song! One of my favorites and I am glad that i heard it live in full band and in piano solo version. 

I’ve witnessed Racing six times in my 47 shows, so not too bad. Every single time it was mesmerising but none better than Hyde Park 2009. 

I love the different versions of the song as well including the alternate Racing in the Street ‘78 from The Promise album. The live performance of that version from the bonus feature on The Promise: The making of darkness blu ray is also spell binding. 

The one version which really struck me as to how great it was though was the acoustic performance from the Freehold 1996 archive release. The violin from Soozie in place of the usual piano outro is absolutely fantastic. 

• Like 1

I was lucky to see Racing and Incident at the same show Düsseldorf D&D 2005. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I lost it during Racing at that Crystal Palace gig! I did both nights - night 1 down on the pitch / dance floor, night 2 we were with friends, one of whom is vertically challenged so we opted for seats in the stand. Unfortunately (as is often the case with London gigs!!) we had "talkers" behind us - basically half interested folks for whom this was that night outs entertainment / thing to do (in London).

You sort of have to tolerate this (to a degree) and when the music is loud you can kinda block it out (or they do less of it "anyway" because things are "loud") but as the band went in to Racing (which is always a gift!) these two guys behind were talking all over it - loudly - and about work for Christ sake!!! - I lost it - I turned round and said "why don't you two f*** off down the pub - put him on the jukebox in the background - and talk about bloody work until your hearts content - the rest of us have come to hear HIM, not YOU!"  In doing so I was expecting (and to be frank ready and willing...…..that's how pissed I was!) it all to kick off - but these two looked at each other in shock, proceeded to leave their seats and walk down to the pitch area, and carried on "talking" with their backs more or less turned on the band/stage...…...what a waste of a ticket!!!  Sadly though a common occurrence I've found at London gigs for all sorts of artists!

i had that durring Nils' solo in BTN

i lost the plot cinslly durring a loud part and they could only see my mouth moving and my arms waving about but i hadn't travelled for 32 bloody hours to listen to their drivel 

of course something got lost in translation because they just looked bemused 

your all very fortunate with your racing stories, but im appealed that you had your's talked through like that 

oh wait - i had BTR 'talked through' in Christchurch with middle aged, middle class drunk bitches fighting and crying 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I think we've all had these experiences - especially in London. Fair play to you!

55 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

I think we've all had these experiences - especially in London. Fair play to you!

Sadly yes. There was the story posted on this forum a few years ago  about -I think, from memory-an UK gig (Manchester?) where The Promise was played. Some people thought a slow song they did not know was the perfect moment for ordering some drinks and screaming as loud as possible  at each other who wanted what to drink; all to  the despair of a Laker.