Sign in to follow this  
JustDan

Alive in '65

Ok...How many of these songs do you know?.. :)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

This Diamond Ring and Back In My Arms Again weren't as clear in my memory as the other ones. Some great songs there!

• Like 1

All of them.  Lots of good stuff there!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

This Diamond Ring and Back In My Arms Again weren't as clear in my memory as the other ones. Some great songs there!

It just doesn't get much better than '65. A landmark year in music.

Er...What's Herman's real name again?.... Pete something?... aarrggh :wacko:

6 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

This Diamond Ring and Back In My Arms Again weren't as clear in my memory as the other ones.

I don't know either of those.  I also don't remember Come See About Me and I Hear A Symphony, although I have heard them since.
And I don't remember the Dave Clark Five one.  I am guessing none of these were UK hits.

5 hours ago, JustDan said:

It just doesn't get much better than '65. A landmark year in music.

Er...What's Herman's real name again?.... Pete something?... aarrggh :wacko:

Peter Noone

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rizla said:

I don't know either of those.  I also don't remember Come See About Me and I Hear A Symphony, although I have heard them since.
And I don't remember the Dave Clark Five one.  I am guessing none of these were UK hits.

I remember the ones you've mentioned … I Hear A Symphony has always been a bit of a favourite of mine. Didn't get very high in our charts.

I think, at my age then, if they weren't on Top of the Pops I wouldn't have heard them. 

The radio was always on in our house, but tuned to Radio 4 (it was probably still called the Home Service then).  So news and magazine programmes (Woman's Hour!)  soaps (Mrs Dale's Diary, avidly followed by my gran), stories, plays, game shows, Any Questions? etc ...but not a lot of music.

18 hours ago, Rizla said:

I think, at my age then, if they weren't on Top of the Pops I wouldn't have heard them. 

The radio was always on in our house, but tuned to Radio 4 (it was probably still called the Home Service then).  So news and magazine programmes (Woman's Hour!)  soaps (Mrs Dale's Diary, avidly followed by my gran), stories, plays, game shows, Any Questions? etc ...but not a lot of music.

The radio played a huge part in my life back then.  Housewife's Choice, Family Favourites … 'With a song in my heart' … Sing Something Simple. Radio Luxembourg, Pick of the Pops etc etc.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, JustDan said:

Ok...How many of these songs do you know?.. :)

Every.Single.One.

Listening on what Warren Zevon would later memorialize as my little "Japanese transistor radio".

Growing up in Manhattan during the heyday of the Top-40 battle between WMCA and WABC this was THE music I heard. Those DJs! The "Good Guys" at WMCA-AM, eclipsed by WABC-AM, "Music radio", with names that would dominate the NYC music scene there, and later at WNEW-FM, for decades. Dan Ingram, Scott Muni, and more. WABC-AM had the "50,000 watt clear channel" antenna, so they could be received far outside the NYC area.

When I would go to the Midwest, actually once you were past the Applachian Mountains, you could start to pick up CKLW-AM out of Windsor, Canada, across the river from Detroit. Another "50,000 watt" omni-directional antenna, we would have that on in the car from WV to northern Michigan. In the summer of '65, my first year going along taking my brother to summer camp, I heard Eve of Destruction thanks to CKLW, as it was banned in many places.

• Like 3

my mum and dad got married in '65 but im -7 but there were less that i didn't know than in '73