Kburke

The new trailer!!

7 minutes ago, BossFan4Life said:

RE: Bruce's "Old Man" voice, I wonder how much of it (if any) is an affect? It certainly fits the narrative he's delivering & the visuals.

RE: "Lollies", a friend of mine had friends over from the U.K. recently. He told me an amusing anecdote about what happened when his wife offered one of them a "sucker".

I leave you non-U.K. residents to your own devices to learn what that particular bit of slang is in reference to...:ph34r:

an all day sucker ?

now this guy does have a stick 

ive never liked them

a bit like a candy cane at christmas - im over it after a couple of licks

Lollipop.jpg

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

an all day sucker ?

now this guy does have a stick 

ive never liked them

a bit like a candy cane at christmas - im over it after a couple of licks

Lollipop.jpg

Here in the states "sucker" is slang for a lolipop in general. It may be a midwest/southern thing, not sure about the rest of the country. Apparently, so I'm told, it has a quite different meaning across the pond in Blimey....:o

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BossFan4Life said:

Here in the states "sucker" is slang for a lolipop in general. It may be a midwest/southern thing, not sure about the rest of the country. Apparently, so I'm told, it has a quite different meaning across the pond in Blimey....:o

oh ....:o :D

16 hours ago, BossFan4Life said:

I can't say I'm familiar with anything other than the usual meanings.  But those old Wham videos can still surprise me :P

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

I can't say I'm familiar with anything other than the usual meanings.  But those old Wham videos can still surprise me :P

oh thats so funny

because of this thread i had that song in my head yesterday 

i loved Wham ! (past tense)

but not about the sucker thing - just the movie thing - its bad i know all the words - not that i gave the words much thought

opps i ment the other movie thread

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rizla said:

Andrew Ridgeley's contribution to this song was  "interesting"  :lol:

• Haha 1

When I posted Bruce sounded 100, it was an observation, not a criticism. I also stated that, from the clips, he was singing fantastically. I was also speaking metaphorically to suggest that, to me at least, Bruce's speaking voice sounds noticeably different t my ears; there's a dry, husky, parched sound to it that wasn't there before. It was interesting to hear because if you compare it to someone like Dylan, whose vocals have deteriorated, or changed, dramatically, yet when he speaks he still has the speaking voice he had at twenty two, and the opposite seems to be the case with Bruce.

• Like 6

Re his voice. I think he sounds almost exactly as he did on the Broadway. In both cases, we are talking about prescripted text, which Bruce was trying to interpret as something spontaneous. I don't think this is the character's voice, but what we are hearing is the result of Bruce trying to dramatize and make a deep impact on the audience. I'm sure it was recorded in more than one take. Since the book was out, I think Bruce realized that people are truly listening to what he has to say, and are not exclusively interested in his music. So lately, he tends to work in the direction of combining music with spoken words. And film & photography. I think it's called transmedia art. I love this principle, as long as he stays within the art branches. 

I hope he still sounds'normal' in his everyday conversations. 

PS: Three words he should omit in his speeches in the future: ghosts, spirits & magic. ;)

• Like 3

On 8/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, Pregnant Sally said:

Don't think anyone is surprised at why, but we're talking about his speaking voice, not his singing voice, which still seems to be in fine form.  

Someone earlier said he's sounded weary for a long time now, I agree.  

I would have thought singing affects your speaking voice since its with the same vocal chords.....

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

PS: Three words he should omit in his speeches in the future: ghosts, spirits & magic. ;)

Two more: "ya know"

11 hours ago, Smilin' Skull Ring said:

Andrew Ridgeley's contribution to this song was  "interesting"  :lol:

To be fair, it was a campy dramatisation of the song.  He might have been playing guitar on the recording.  Dee and Shirlie weren't even the backing singers on the record.

Since we are criticizing, his tan really looks fake. 

• Like 1

He sounds to me exactly as he sounded reading his memoir or at the Broadway show - I listened to the cd again.

Anyway, keeping up the delightful habit this place has to drift away from the core subject: A British relative couldn't understand the reactions she got when she told the assembled company at tea time her son went next door to knock up the girl living there...

• Haha 2

Going to say something that is probably going to get me flamed.  Bruce needs to stop talking about his music so much and let it speak for himself.  Would love it if this was just a performance of the songs with the orchestra he has assembled.  Not saying he can't speak at all, but the Bruce monologs have become something of a cliche at this point.  Let the music breath and let people interpret as they wish.  Flame away.

Secondly does anyone know if this is going to be a true theatrical release (multiple showings, wide release) or one of those Fathom Events things (select theaters, single showing) like Springsteen and I was.  Curious if Bruce has the clout to get wide release distribution.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Secondly does anyone know if this is going to be a true theatrical release (multiple showings, wide release) or one of those Fathom Events things (select theaters, single showing) like Springsteen and I was.  Curious if Bruce has the clout to get wide release distribution.  

Nothing announced yet, but don't expect it to be as ubiquitous as The Lion King

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Silvia said:

In some fashion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I would have thought singing affects your speaking voice since its with the same vocal chords.....

Yes, you would. Again, listen to Dylan, his singing voice has altered radically, his speaking voice is almost identical to his much younger self. I'm only going on the short clips, and I have no idea how 'live' the live vocals are, but Bruce's singing sounded very strong on the clips for Western Stars. Much stronger than what I heard on the Broadway release, where he did (to me, anyway) sound a lot croakier.

2 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Going to say something that is probably going to get me flamed.  Bruce needs to stop talking about his music so much and let it speak for himself.  Would love it if this was just a performance of the songs with the orchestra he has assembled.  Not saying he can't speak at all, but the Bruce monologs have become something of a cliche at this point.  Let the music breath and let people interpret as they wish.  Flame away.

Bruce has always had a lot to say about his music though...I do agree with your post though!

1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

Bruce has always had a lot to say about his music though...I do agree with your post though!

But in the trailer he doesn't talk that much about his music, more about the precious life lessons. Broadway was similar.

5 hours ago, berlintramp said:

He sounds to me exactly as he sounded reading his memoir or at the Broadway show - I listened to the cd again.

Anyway, keeping up the delightful habit this place has to drift away from the core subject: A British relative couldn't understand the reactions she got when she told the assembled company at tea time her son went next door to knock up the girl living there...

:o:lol:

7 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

its weird

all these years listening snd analyzing lyrics and stories and now when he tells us what they really mean .... ?

has an ever so tiny little bit  of the magic has worn off ?

should he just shut up and sing ?

and yet the autobiography was so beautifully written 

i think that at his stage in his life/career maybe he just has an urge to set the record straight about what in his heart ?

• Like 1