Sign in to follow this  
Jerseyfornia

Recycled songs

I'm talking about songs that are recorded by different artists, but are the same song with a title or lyrics change. I noticed not long ago that Loverboy's Dangerous is Bryan Adam's Reckless with a slight lyric and title change. Now today I find out Rick Springfield's Kristina is BTO's Jamaica. Something these songs have in common is they were written by Jim Vallance. I noticed the Springfield rewrite is credited to Springfield and Charity Vallance.

Any other examples of this kind of song recycling?

Mandy by Barry Manilow was originally Brandy by Scott English

I just youtubed it. Damn, it's way better than Mandy.

• Like 1

While in London, Dylan met several figures in the local folk scene, including English folksinger Martin Carthy. "I ran into some people in England who really knew those [traditional English] songs," Dylan recalled in 1984. "Martin Carthy, another guy named [Bob] Davenport. Martin Carthy's incredible. I learned a lot of stuff from Martin." Carthy exposed Dylan to a repertoire of traditional English ballads, including Carthy's own arrangement of "Scarborough Fair," which Dylan drew upon for aspects of the melody and lyrics of "Girl from the North Country," including the line from the refrain "Remember me to one who lives there, she once was a true love of mine". Musically, this song is nearly identical to his composition "Boots of Spanish Leather",[3] composed and recorded one year later for the album The Times They Are a-Changin'.

• Like 1