I have no wish to re-ignite the nastiness which I seemed to spark off yesterday. However, I am determined we should have a thread dedicated to this programme.

Series 5 starts tonight and, in my opinion, this is one of the best programmes made by the BBC in recent years. It has been sold to over 100 other countries, so I assume I am not alone in my appreciation.

For those who haven't watched it, (especially @rosiejaneymary) it is about a group of gangsters, set in Birmingham, in the period between the first and second world wars. The real life Peakey's were a really nasty group of people who ran pubs and illegal betting rings in the Small Heath area of Birmingham. They had quite a reputation and I have a couple of handed down stories. My friends dad, when he was a young copper in Birmingham, arrested a gang member for something fairly petty. When he brought him into the station he had his ear bent by the sergeant - don't you know who that is? Don't ever arrest a  Peaky without permission! The man was duly released. Another friend's father remembers riding the tram into Birmingham when gang members boarded and demanded money off passengers. As I say, in real life they were nasty pieces of work.

In the TV series they are somewhat romanticised (think Sopranos, The Godfather) although still portrayed as a violent gang who run Small Heath. They are highly successful at making money through gambling, illegal arms sales and running a legitimate factory.

The use of music, the period detail and cinematography are really good and the acting superb.

The 'hero' is Tommy Shelby, played by the gorgeous (IMO) Cillian Murphy. He is the leader of the family/gang and usually comes out top. The other two main characters are Aunt Polly, a very strong female who kept the family business going whilst the men were off at the front and Arthur, Tommy's elder brother who is a violent time bomb. At the end of the last series he was elected as an MP, so I am fascinated to see how this pans out. I know he comes up against Oswald Mosley and I suspect they will have quite a bit in common, at least initially.

The name 'Peaky Blinders' derives from the razor blades sewn into their peaked caps which they threw at their enemies, in an attempt to blind them. The series motto? 'Don't fuck with the Peaky Blinders'

To be continued...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now then … this is something I've often thought about so might as well ask it here then leave fans of the programme to enjoy it.

The thing is, how can this type of programme be enjoyed?  The name itself and why it's called that … the violence, the fact they're nasty pieces of work.  A lot of folk who enjoy this and the other programmes mentioned above deplore violence … yet look forward to watching it being portrayed and 'falling' for or liking those who dish it out. It happened and the violence happened to real people … yet has been romanticised?

I'm not able to watch violence on TV/film as it upsets me to think people had/have to endure it in real life.

Each to his/her own … but it really does bamboozle me.

• Like 1

That post would seem misplaced and pointless if its true intent wasn't so easily seen.

Ok, I will try to answer. It is, in my opinion, similar to The Sopranos, which I always enjoyed very much.

I am able to cope with the violence when it is bad people being violent to other bad people, which is mostly what happens here. Of course I know that in real life they were a nasty bunch of people who I would have been afraid of. But, this is a drama. It left the real Peaky Blinders behind after about 3 episodes, they were just the inspiration for the show in the same way as the mafia were the inspiration for The Godfather and The Sopranos. 

The show also throws up some genuinely interesting storylines (Tommy was a tunnel digger during WW1) and has flashbacks, Arthur has shell shock, Polly, having run the business during the war, is forced to take a back seat when the men return home. There have been storylines about Irish independence, police corruption, political corruption. It's not all violence and I am expecting this series to be really interesting, set as it is during the 1930's with the rise of fascism and leading up to the Second World War.

Its not Tommy Shelby I fancy, its Cillian Murphy. I can tell the difference between real life and fiction.

I hope that answers your questions. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

That post would seem misplaced and pointless if its true intent wasn't so easily seen.

Read it again without those 'I hate Eileen' glasses on. I'd hoped it would be taken as meant - a bit of grown-up debate? At least a few 'answering' posts would have been nice. Oh, one in from Ann - hopefully, this'll be one of them.

Gary will be happy a 5th series is on the way

i watched the first series and its very well acted and well made like British tv really excels at, but like the soprano and biker one with Peggy Bundy i just don't enjoy that level of violence 

it reminds me very much of an Australian series called underbelly where each season is a different era of crime - in this case razor

did anyone see the hotel inspector episode where Alex visited the perky blinders bar and accommodation?

i did enjoy that very much :D

2 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Thank you, Ann. Much appreciated.

I love Poldark and yes, Aidan is a joy to watch. It's also where my great-grandmother hails from, hence my love of the scenery. Would I like the character as much if he wasn't played by Adrian? Don't know.

Hope this series is as enjoyable for you as the others. It's had rave reviews … just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Ok, I will try to answer. It is, in my opinion, similar to The Sopranos, which I always enjoyed very much.

I am able to cope with the violence when it is bad people being violent to other bad people, which is mostly what happens here. Of course I know that in real life they were a nasty bunch of people who I would have been afraid of. But, this is a drama. It left the real Peaky Blinders behind after about 3 episodes, they were just the inspiration for the show in the same way as the mafia were the inspiration for The Godfather and The Sopranos. 

The show also throws up some genuinely interesting storylines (Tommy was a tunnel digger during WW1) and has flashbacks, Arthur has shell shock, Polly, having run the business during the war, is forced to take a back seat when the men return home. There have been storylines about Irish independence, police corruption, political corruption. It's not all violence and I am expecting this series to be really interesting, set as it is during the 1930's with the rise of fascism and leading up to the Second World War.

Its not Tommy Shelby I fancy, its Cillian Murphy. I can tell the difference between real life and fiction.

i forgot it was Irish ?

i did find the historical aspect of the era very interesting 

1 minute ago, bettertohaveloved said:

Thank you, Ann. Much appreciated.

I love Poldark and yes, Aidan is a joy to watch. It's also where my great-grandmother hails from, hence my love of the scenery. Would I like the character as much if he wasn't played by Adrian? Don't know.

Hope this series is as enjoyable for you as the others. It's had rave reviews … just not my cup of tea.

Thats fine. Let's leave it there.

• Like 1

Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

i forgot it was Irish ?

i did find the historical aspect of the era very interesting 

It's not Irish Daisey, it's set in Birmingham! One of the series featured gun running for the IRA and Cillian Murphy, the real life actor who plays Tommy Shelby,  lives in the Republic of Ireland.

2 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

It's not Irish Daisey, it's set in Birmingham! One of the series featured gun running for the IRA and Cillian Murphy, the real life actor who plays Tommy Shelby,  lives in the Republic of Ireland.

oh i knew there was some tie up in my mind with Gary's heritage

his dad was Irish but his mum was from Birmingham 

im also really getting mixed up with the Australian one also :D

I don’t like car racing and I love Racing in the Street.

I don’t like adultery and I love One Step Up.

I don’t like wrestling and I love The Wrestler (particularly, the movie).

I don’t like the Mafia and I love The Sopranos.

I don’t like drugs and I love The Wire.

And so on...

• Like 8

I love "Reno" and, well............you know.

• Haha 5

I watched the first couple of episodes of PB but it didn't draw me in.  I was disappointed because my maternal ancestors were from Birmingham, and I was hoping to get a bit of the vibe, but I didn't get any sense of place from it at all.  Especially the confusing accents - not a Brummie accent to be heard!

Also Cillian Murphy does nothing for me.

Hey, I don't mean to stir the pot, but has the 'alternative' PB thread been taken down completely on The Circuit? 

5 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Hey, I don't mean to stir the pot, but has the 'alternative' PB thread been taken down completely on The Circuit? 

Can't think why.

;)

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I watched the first couple of episodes of PB but it didn't draw me in.  I was disappointed because my maternal ancestors were from Birmingham, and I was hoping to get a bit of the vibe, but I didn't get any sense of place from it at all.  Especially the confusing accents - not a Brummie accent to be heard!

Also Cillian Murphy does nothing for me.

The accents were dreadful in the first series, but, either I have got used to them or they have improved! 

Looks like I can have Cillian all to myself! I don't think I will be starting a Just Cillian thread any time soon...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Yes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Yes.

That person is consistently unpleasant about almost everyone and everything. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I love "Reno" and, well............you know.

TMI my friend... TMI! 

• Haha 1

Cracking first episode, setting the scene. Opened on the Lickey Hills where we used to have picnics as a child - Tommy was burying a dead horse.:(

Second episode tonight...

just an actor horse ;)

tried several times with this thinks 10 mins is most ive lasted. perhaps not simple enough for me nowadays

It was on after Poldark so I watched a few minutes of it - they were in a pub I think.

Gave up after the umpteenth f word.

(And seeing him with that hat on :))