Sign in to follow this  
MadamMarie

MTV Video Music Awards Monday, August 26

This is a public service announcement:  I have not watched the MTV video music awards in years. This year they are being held in Newark, New Jersey at the Prudential Center, and will end with a tribute to New Jersey artists over the years. A portion of the Asbury Park Boardwalk is blocked off with technical equipment and camera towers on the beach for the rumored appearance there of The Jonas Brothers.  Could get interesting for those that can stay awake past 10 pm!  :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadamMarie said:

This is a public service announcement:  I have not watched the MTV video music awards in years. This year they are being held in Newark, New Jersey at the Prudential Center, and will end with a tribute to New Jersey artists over the years. A portion of the Asbury Park Boardwalk is blocked off with technical equipment and camera towers on the beach for the rumored appearance there of The Jonas Brothers.  Could get interesting for those that can stay awake past 10 pm!  :D 

Yup, the Jonas Brothers are taping their portion today for tomorrows show from the Stone Pony and then from right on the boardwalk.

The build out for the boardwalk stage that the Jonas Brothers will use for their MTV Video Music Awards performance continues Friday, August 23, 2019, across Ocean Avenue from the Stone Pony in Asbury Park.

The build out for the boardwalk stage that the Jonas Brothers will use for their MTV Video Music Awards performance continues Friday, August 23, 2019, across Ocean Avenue from the Stone Pony in Asbury Park.

https://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/08/22/jonas-brothers-play-stone-pony-boardwalk-asbury-park-part-mtv-vmas-2019/2087301001/

• Thanks 1

MTV & it's long-lasting effects are a direct result of what the current state of the "music business" & the utter crap that passes off as pop music is today. I feel so lucky & blessed to have come of age before the dawn of MTV. MTV is directly responsible for pushing rock, traditional r&b, folk & even country music off of free radio & allowing corporate behemoths to replace DJs with automated playlists geared to "artists" that fit an image and look, not on their musical talent. There are exceptions of course, but they are in the minority. Can't bare to watch the VMA's. Someone who's willing to watch will hopefully post on the Jersey segment. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JustDan said:

MTV & it's long-lasting effects are a direct result of what the current state of the "music business" & the utter crap that passes off as pop music is today. I feel so lucky & blessed to have come of age before the dawn of MTV. MTV is directly responsible for pushing rock, traditional r&b, folk & even country music off of free radio & allowing corporate behemoths to replace DJs with automated playlists geared to "artists" that fit an image and look, not on their musical talent. There are exceptions of course, but they are in the minority. Can't bare to watch the VMA's. Someone who's willing to watch will hopefully post on the Jersey segment. Thanks.

i never thought about it like that before Dan

i tend to blame manufactured crap from tv reality shows for all the woes from the radio, but then you have the before MTV perspective i do not

ive never actually seen the real mtv but as teenypoppers we enjoyed music videos because we had no other way to see our musical idols 

music magazines took 3 months to get here on a very slow ship, plus even the trashy English ones were quite expensive  and we wern't old enough to go to bars and clubs to even listen to local music

and overseas acts just didn't even get to my part of the world 

the occasional  odd big name went to Auckland but getting to Auckland as a 13 year old would have been no harder than getting to the moon or Asbury park/ New York / London

however you may have a point as before 1988 i had switched to a local country music station that played old time country but also hot off the press country from America 

i used to listen to a 3 hour country music countdown that was only a week old on a Sunday afternoon

i miss real DJs

i miss real radio

i hate those automated playlists that seem to be picked by some radom computer logarithm rather than an informed DJ

there is still community radio, if you can find it and don't mind all the weird and wounderful local content in between the music but alas its hardly influential as far as pop culture goes 

you know they now have 3 people doing a breakfast slot that one DJ used to handle on his own

and they talk absolute  fucking shit and the more you listen to them the more you realize they are really ignorant of the world out of their little bubble, its embarrassing the stuff that spews from their mouths

we used to have a really awsome rock station- NZs first independent once pirate station in fact,. but about the time live in Hyde park came out it became apparent they were brought out by a coperate and Bruce was in the process of being shipped off to a sleepy classic hits station and anyone my age or older was not welcomed, so i just turned the radio off and woke up to BTR instead

i guess Dan, now i really think about it

you are right

1 hour ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Unbearable.  Made it 60 seconds, 

Turn the sound off, at least you'll get to glimpse the ocean. :D

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

The Jonas Brothers at the Stone Pony and on the boardwalk.

well i dont like it but there is alot worse out there to my ears

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well i dont like it but there is alot worse out there to my ears

They're actually catchy tunes that definitely get stuck in your head...on repeat...continuous loop. :lol:

I'm reading the comedian who opened the show name checked Bruce but I can't find the quote.   People are saying it was kinda dumb coz the age group wouldn't have cared one whit. 

57 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I'm reading the comedian who opened the show name checked Bruce but I can't find the quote.   People are saying it was kinda dumb coz the age group wouldn't have cared one whit. 

The Jonas Brothers did too in a mini interview before their performance.

One of the brothers was in my beer line in LA on The River tour - forget who told me that, don't even know which brother it was, think it was Nick.

Wouldn't have known him if he spilled his beer on me.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

One of the brothers was in my beer line in LA on The River tour - forget who told me that, don't even know which brother it was, think it was Nick.

Wouldn't have known him if he spilled his beer on me.  

My daughter was a fan when she was younger so that's how I know a little about them.  Well that, plus they're from Jersey. :D

• Like 1

The last 10 seconds or so were great!  :D Thanks BD! 

• Like 1