Wild & Innocent

Worlds Apart is the best track on The Rising - discuss.....

I remember people thinking WA would be the Youngstown of The Rising tour, but it didn't work out like that (as we know).

I think it was both brave and necessary including it on the album, and I liked - and still like - the use of the Pakistani singers and harmonica, Bruce trying to contrast and/or meld Western and Eastern music elements. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I remember people thinking WA would be the Youngstown of The Rising tour, but it didn't work out like that (as we know).

I think it was both brave and necessary including it on the album, and I liked - and still like - the use of the Pakistani singers and harmonica, Bruce trying to contrast and/or meld Western and Eastern music elements. 

One of the things I LOVE most about the song is the Middle Eastern influences.  

• Like 2

Definitely one of the best songs on the album. I really like Into The Fire too. The live in Barcelona version, in particular, is really powerful to my ears.

I just refreshed my memory of this.  No, sorry, I can't stand that wailing and whining style of sound.

Great powerful song. Not surprised that the (sampled?) ‘wailing’ puts some people off but I’m ok with it. Best on the Rising? Maybe. Certainly top 5 for me along with Into the Fire, City of Ruins, Nothing Man and Paradise.

• Like 1

I think the reason this isn't played live is that this is only one of very few songs where an obvious pre-recorded sample has been used to back the live performance, and certainly the one where such a sample is so integral to the song's presentation. It would've been intensely rehearsed so that the musicians were all in synch nightly with the backing for The Rising tour. If Bruce crafted a future tour setlist that featured this as a staple then obviously it could be done again, but it's certainly not something that could be done with guaranteed success on the fly as a sign request or on stage audible.

• Like 3

On 9/6/2019 at 3:43 AM, Wild & Innocent said:

Controversial? I’m not sure why. Always felt it was the best track on the album, but I’ve met many who hate it.

Would love him to play it more.

I love the song too. I have no problem with it being your #1. I saw it twice in concert. It was great. I would love to hear it and The Fuse a lot more. I've near got Further On (Up the Road) live, and would love to hear that one.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Doah said:

I love the song too. I have no problem with it being your #1. I saw it twice in concert. It was great. I would love to hear it and The Fuse a lot more. I've near got Further On (Up the Road) live, and would love to hear that one.

Agreed, I love The Fuse and Further On (Up The Road) too.  I could take or leave Mary’s Place and Waiting On A Sunny Day but I appreciate they are there to lighten the mood and Waiting let’s him get a kid out of the audience which is always great.

I’d love to see him do Paradise.

• Like 1