Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

This show along with Winterland was right behind the Vets in that Nugs poll.  I personally would rather have this than the Vets show and it sounds better than any of the boots out there.

They release one of the top  3 Holy Grail shows and people are STILL complaining?  GTFOH.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

The Vietnam Vets show tops the Nugs poll and we get this.

I mean, I've done my fair share of complaining about this series, but I didn't think I'd ever see anyone 'complain' about arguably the greatest show of all time being released. 

Nugs and Springsteen really can't win with us fans, can they? Even if the Vietnam Vets show was released today there'd be people complaining about it only being two months since we last got a River Tour release. 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

Did people not want the studio albums remastered? Greetings and The River sounded fine in their 1987 CD versions, no? Why remaster? After all, we already had those albums in "great quality." Why go back to the multi-track master tapes when you have bootlegs sourced from off-air cassettes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I mean, I've done my fair share of complaining about this series, but I didn't think I'd ever see anyone 'complain' about arguably the greatest show of all time being released. 

Nugs and Springsteen really can't win with us fans, can they? Even if the Vietnam Vets show was released today there'd be people complaining about it only being two months since we last got a River Tour release. 

As I said above, I consider this to be an 'amazing' show.  But as BTW says, this show has been out there for decades in great quality and we hoped for something that we don't have.  Hell, we were probably goosebumping over this before you were born.

I am surprised that they chose this over the more legendary Winterland show.

The fact remains that the fans  wanted the Vets show, a show that really is a Holy Grail show, so Nugs should play fair and tell us if they actually have it or not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JEMS said:

Did people not want the studio albums remastered? Greetings and The River sounded fine in their 1987 CD versions, no? Why remaster? After all, we already had those albums in "great quality." Why go back to the multi-track master tapes when you have bootlegs sourced from off-air cassettes?

Good point JEMS.  Welcome to The Lake.  Where you bin?

The issue is more to do with the release of a show that's been around for years.  Offer us up something new.

• Like 1

Listening to the Prove It intro I am hearing details on the guitar that I couldn't hear on any of the prior mixes, this is freaking amazing. So far this is JA best mix and pretty damn close to a BC mix.

I still get goosebumps during this song despite having heard it countless times over decades of listening to the boots.  This blows them away.

Interesting that in the essay they mention that the guitars were so loud at this run due to the amp staging at the venue and the way they were miked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

The fact remains that the fans  wanted the Vets show, a show that really is a Holy Grail show, so Nugs should play fair and tell us if they actually have it or not.

You would hope that if they didn't have it they would have said something along the lines of "thanks for the great suggestion, however unfortunately .....". I can understand them not saying anything if they intend to release it, but agree they should say something if it doesn't exist.

I think it will come in due course, even if its only a soundboard not multi-track.

• Like 2

Speaking as a collector and someone who has worked very hard to source master tapes and upgrade key shows for all of us, I've never been satisfied with any copy of the Passaic broadcast I've had before. Not saying it wasn't great, obviously it was mixed by Jimmy Iovine and broadcast on the radio. But Crystal Cat's version is pitched wrong and all the copies I've heard or had were always just a notch below what I consider definitive.

What I find absolutely hilarious is that when Passaic 9/20 came out in the Clearmountain mix, many posted how much better it was than the JEMS version, which was sourced from two-track soundboard master reels that were arguably some of the highest quality fan-sourced live Bruce recordings ever. 

Now the Passaic broadcast comes out, where all previous copies were off the radio (and couldn't hold a candle to the quality of the soundboard 9/20), and people say (without any close listening or A-B comparisons), "Nah, brah, skipping this. Have it in great quality already." That's some idiotic bullshit. 

• Like 8
  • Love Love Love! 1

10 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

As I said above, I consider this to be an 'amazing' show.  But as BTW says, this show has been out there for decades in great quality and we hoped for something that we don't have.  Hell, we were probably goosebumping over this before you were born.

I am surprised that they chose this over the more legendary Winterland show.

Fair enough, but with regards to the sentence I bolded, it might be worth remembering that there is a younger audience invested in this series who "need" releases like this one. Otherwise how will the legend of '78 and that be properly passed down?

I'm certain Winterland will be released, there's no need to worry about that.

I get the whole Holy Grail thing and really want the Vets show, but there was nothing to suggest that "Holy Grail" tweet was about this month's release. 

• Like 1