Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

Please allow me to express myself...

Feeling used up. Something is different and I dont know what it. Old age. Depression. 

Put this on and I so needed it. There is magic in the night.

That is good, enjoy.

• Like 1

This is a definite upgrade to all of the boots for this show.  This is a must have for any fan.  Arguably the most important show in his career and JA knocked it out of the park on the mix.  Seriously if you didn't know who did it you might think Bob Clearmountain did this one.

This just joined the next night as the 2 best releases in the series so far in my opinion.  I will add one caveat that I have only listened to the SiriusXM broadcast so I need to confirm when I listen to the HD files after work but I am very happy and impressed with this one.

It was like listening with virgin ears at times due to the clarify and details this new mix was able to provide.  I just finished the show a few minutes ago and I still have goosebumps about how good it was.  

• Like 7

Honestly not pumped about this release because I have the boot and it's damn good as is, but I'm thrilled to see so many people psyched about it! I'll definitely get it eventually but I'm saving up all my nickels and dimes for the real deal live and in person.

Enjoy, everyone!!! Give my favorite version of Streets of Fire a few listens.

• Like 4

Not sure if that is a serious question?  I don't know how one could be a hardcore Bruce fan and be a longtime member of this site and not know the significance of this show.

This show did more to help spread the legend of live Bruce and created more fans from one show than any other in career.  It has long been regarded as maybe his defining live show.  More people bought this bootleg and listened to this broadcast than heard or bought some of Bruce's actual albums.  I cannot count how many people, fans and critics alike who have stated that if he released this show as an official live album back in the day it would have been revered as one of the top live albums by any artist ever.

The original bootleg of this show is probably the highest selling bootleg of all time by any artist according to many bootleg and live recording historians.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I'm so fucking happy

sorry just this is the show that really punched me in the gut and made me fall in love with Bruce. Spent countless hours freshman year of high school watching this show on YouTube and years listening to the radio broadcast. Just so happy it's finally released

• Like 4

I always get the HD files anyway but I would consider this to be one of the ones on the short list if you are picking and choosing which shows to spend extra on.  But please listen to the samples first to make sure you like the mix.  Nothing like spending the extra money and then not like the mix or mastering. That happened to me with Roxy.  I bought the HD files and the show is pretty much unlistenable to me.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Why do you think that?

(Just curious)

The mass dissemination of the concert after the show (pre-internet) on the boot record and tapes and into the River era, arguably is significantly responsible for the “ you gotta see him live “ mantra that solidified his reputation as THE guy to see live and also propelled his insane fan following into the arenas of the River and Stadiums of USA tours.

I listened to this on cassette in 78 and been hooked ever since, as have many others.  

Plus the East Coast Broadcast from Boston to Philly was the biggest bang population wise of all the 78 broadcasts 

Before digital and torrents it was the go to show for many

• Like 1

I have no boots. Every month is the first time for me, with each and every show we get.

We are all so lucky, but I feel even luckier..

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

19 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm struggling to find the time to listen to this one tonight, but I've managed up to the end of "Prove It". I always make notes for a review when listening and I'm trying to do the same here, but I just keep getting lost in the fuckin' music. 

I get chills with every song.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

12 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I have no boots. Every month is the first time for me, with each and every show we get.

We are all so lucky, but I feel even luckier..

I've heard this show before, but your post is exactly why I don't listen to bootlegs often as much as I want to. 

I never want to be the guy saying "I've heard this a hundred times" about a random show from 1978, 1980 or whenever. I want to be able to experience these shows for the first time with the finest audio possible and be in awe of the power and glory of The E Street Band. 

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I can't find the words to describe what I'm listening to, and I keep getting annoyed because I kinda need to. 

I'm also getting annoyed because my definitive live versions series is becoming more redundant by the second :lol:

Every fuckin song got me like

image.png.7b797f70f8439f10a33477ae2017751d.png

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

For fans of a certain age, there's no way to put a price on this one.  Springsteen's live rep was solid long before 1978, but this tour, aided by the radio broadcasts, started the big ball rolling.  For most of us, this show was like a ghost...a myth...the Loch Ness Monster of bootlegs.  We'd heard about it (the first pressing was called Piece de Resistance) and after the publication of one or two books cataloging Springsteen's bootleg discography (Most notably The Hunt/Humphries book Blinded By The Light, which listed Piece de Resistance as far beyond essential)  this became the Holy Grail of boots.  

Now, this very excellent recording is NOT Piece de Resistance.  Piece was a beautiful box set with a great black and white cover and a pretty damn good vinyl pressing of the broadcast. I was lucky to have a pressing of this boot, the ownership of which solidified my fandom. 

I'm into Darkness right now, and this most certainly is NOT Piece de Resistance.  The sound and detail is far beyond my modest vinyl bootleg. For the Rock historians among us, this is pretty close to the first printing of the Declaration of Independence.   I await, of course, for the ACTUAL Declaration of Independece:  Bottom Line, 1975. 

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1