Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

51 minutes ago, southsideryan said:

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand and two times but I usually download FLAC files but this is an important show to me so I'm wondering would FLAC HD be worth it or any of the other higher quality versions 

Yes, FLAC HD is better. The audio equivalent of realising you had been watching TV in standard definition when you turned over to the same HD channel. 

• Thanks 1

Not to make anyone jealous, but I’ve actually never listened to this show’s bootleg at all. That means I have the privilege of listening to this show for the first time when I take a long drive to pick up some friend’s tomorrow morning - safe to say I cannot wait

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

Holy mother of God.  The greatest live show by any artist ever.  Better than Winterland, better than Vets.  About to purchase and download.  Stunned, excited and nervous.  No Bobby C mix but JA.  Hence the nerves.  Please be  “Stockholm” or “Nassau remix” (awesome sounding) and not a “Roxy” (muddy mess)...  Behind door number one lies salvation, behind door number two lies crushing disappointment...

The words of UncleJosh give me hope!

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Regards Winterland, I don't want that one either.  We have it in great quality :lol:.

My first Winterland was one of those that was mastered at the wrong speed, so everything was slow and sludgy. After having heard so much about it for so long, and then shelling out probably at least $40 for it, I was beyond disappointed. I'm not sure I got beyond the first song of the second side—this was on vinyl, of course—before I gave up and never went back to it. 

So...yeah, I'm very much looking forward to the eventual Winterland official release. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Holy mother of God.  The greatest live show by any artist ever.  Better than Winterland, better than Vets.  About to purchase and download.  Stunned, excited and nervous.  No Bobby C mix but JA.  Hence the nerves.  Please be  “Stockholm” or “Nassau remix” (awesome sounding) and not a “Roxy” (muddy mess)...  Behind door number one lies salvation, behind door number two lies crushing disappointment...

The words of UncleJosh give me hope!

Personally I think this blows Roxy, Stockholm and Nassau away but everyone's ears are different.  I don't even listen to Roxy much due to the sound despite the quality of the actual performance.  Ironically it was also one of my least listened to 78 boots for the same reason.  Guess it is cursed at least for my ears.

2 hours ago, unclejosh said:

Not sure if that is a serious question?  I don't know how one could be a hardcore Bruce fan and be a longtime member of this site and not know the significance of this show.

It was a serious question. And a question to which there is no right or wrong answer.

The question was not 'why is this one of the most important Bruce Springsteen shows ever?' but 'why do you think this show is THE most important Bruce Springsteen show ever?'. And not, let's say, Winterland, or Roxy 1978, (or maybe even Roxy 1975). Or Main Point 1975, or the L.A. 1981 Vietnam show, or, most of all, Bottom Line 1975. Or Stockholm 1988 with the world-wide audience. Or maybe another show.

Could also be the show in Cambridge attended by Jon Landau with as a result one of the most famous concert reviews in the history of popular music, even if there is not known audio of that show.

Some might say the Christic Institute shows are the two most important shows Bruce ever played.

There are some good arguments why the Bottom Line radio broadcast, at a turning point in Bruce's career, make-or-break, was THE most important show Bruce Springsteen (& The ESB) ever played.

You, and a few others, gave some good arguments why Passaic 19 September 1978 is THE most important show ever.:)

• Like 2

Waking up on a wet saturday morning in Australia and check my phone to see what the new archive release is... thru sleepy eyes i see Passaic and assume night 3...  nice one... Wait... WTF?? Night One!! My Holy Grail show! Today does really feel like xmas morning:D

• Like 8
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, unclejosh said:

Not sure if that is a serious question?  I don't know how one could be a hardcore Bruce fan and be a longtime member of this site and not know the significance of this show.

This show did more to help spread the legend of live Bruce and created more fans from one show than any other in career.  It has long been regarded as maybe his defining live show.  More people bought this bootleg and listened to this broadcast than heard or bought some of Bruce's actual albums.

Agreed that this may be one of the biggest selling bootlegs ever (and perhaps Bruce's biggest selling bootleg), but it was surely not the most important performance of his career - or even his most important radio broadcast. 

That latter distinction belongs to the August 1975 Bottom Line broadcast, which was an even better performance, and came at a time (pre-BtR) when far fewer people had ever heard (or heard of) Bruce.  The '75 show put him solidly on the map;  Appel was right to want to release it as a live album during the summer of '76 (when a different rising star's live album was instead sweeping the country (Frampton Comes Alive)), and it surely contributed to the momentum that landed him on the covers of Time and Newsweek only two months later. 

By contrast, while 9 19 78 is an amazing show (and, at first listen, beautifully mixed), Bruce already had a much greater national reputation and was already well into a critically-acclaimed US tour playing large arenas (he sold out MSG & the Spectrum multiple nights only a month earlier).  The 5 radio broadcasts added greatly to this reputation and gained him legions of new fans, but it's hard to say that this wouldn't have been the result anyway of the greatest tour he (or likely anyone else) ever did. 

My thanks to the Archive folks for moving the focus back to the 1970s where it properly most belongs.  Happy listening!

• Like 4

Well I did say Arguably in my original post, however I still feel that Passaic was more important simply to due its widespread distribution.  As it is the highest selling one and also the show that had the most listeners at any one time in the broadcast, this show more than any other converted the most fans and made Bruce THE live act to see. While he was well on his way and the 75 broadcast was a huge part of that, it simply pales in comparison due to the sheer amount of people who not only heard but owned Passaic and considered it the best show of all time.   The only reason the tour is considered the best of all time is due to the availability of those 78 broadcast with Passaic being the biggest by far of all of them.  After 75 he was still playing clubs and theaters with some arenas mixed in. After 78 he was playing arenas and stadiums and never looked back (when touring with the E Street Band) unless my memory is faulty and I am forgetting some theater or clubs shows on the River Tour.  The Passaic broadcast was a huge part of making his live show a must see for the masses and not just to his already growing hardcore fanbase.

Bottom Line simply does not have the same overwhelming praise and familiarity.  That does not diminish it or its greatness but if I were to rank them it would be Passaic 1 and Bottom Line 2 in my opinion.

But like I said originally it is arguable and other people may feel other shows are more important.  It is really a matter of personal opinion either way. There really is no quantifiable way to settle the discussion.

And yes I agree about moving the focus to the 70's.  Hopefully more come out despite the lesser amount of recordings in that era.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

As it is the highest selling one and also the show that had the most listeners at any one time in the broadcast, this show more than any other converted the most fans and made Bruce THE live act to see.

Uncliejosh, I'm guessing you're from the NE somewhere, where the (regional) Passaic broadcast naturally had more impact than the Agora or Winterland ones broadcast in other regions.  And yes, the NE is the most populous area and had the biggest pool of existing Bruce fans in Sept. 1978, so that likely accounts for it having the most listeners (is this verified somewhere?). 

I'm not sure that the various bootlegs of the Passaic show made it the "highest selling" one (is it even possible to verify this?); in the years that followed, I saw roughly equal numbers of (different boots of) the Winterland, Passaic and Agora shows, with the community (happily and enthusiastically) split about which was the best performance (in my view, Winterland).  Also keep in mind that in '78 and for many years thereafter, boots were limited to vinyl, and to the few stores around the country willing to sell and able to get them, categories in which the NYC market again dominated.  In sum, not surprised that a NYer (as I was then) would think Passaic the most heard, successful or important; living on the west coast, the Winterland show seems more prominent in these categories.

I'd also suggest that in the years prior to '78, the Bottom Line show was THE dominant live Bruce boot.  In 1978, the volume of commercially available Bruce had grown by 33% with the release of Darkness, and the '78 radio show boots added even more variety.  But during '76-'77, the community was starved for fresh Bruce, both folks seeking live recordings of shows like ones they'd seen and folks eager to hear what all the fuss was about.  Back then, the Bottom Line and '75 Roxy show were the main bootlegs, had the market largely to themselves (yes, there were a few other goods ones that were more scarce), were eagerly snatched up wherever they could be found, and dominated the market for anyone looking for new Bruce stuff.  And the Bottom Line was an incredible performance.  I believe that its influence on the rock world from '75-'78 far exceeded the influence of the Passaic bootlegs thereafter (which had much more competition and less mystery to them).

As a side note, I was at the Palladium on 9 17 78 when Bruce first dusted off Kitty's Back after (what was then) a long hiatus.  I think it took a few shows for it to hit stride again.  I am struck by how the 9.20 Kitty performance blows away the 9.19 (and 9.17) versions - and almost approaches the stratospheric level of the 18+-min. 8 15 1975 Bottom Line performance (which to me remains the greatest single-song performance that Bruce and the band have ever given.) 

Nice that today's archive release has brought back important debates such as these . . .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Outside Looking In said:

Uncliejosh, I'm guessing you're from the NE somewhere, where the (regional) Passaic broadcast naturally had more impact than the Agora or Winterland ones broadcast in other regions.  And yes, the NE is the most populous area and had the biggest pool of existing Bruce fans in Sept. 1978, so that likely accounts for it having the most listeners (is this verified somewhere?). 

I'm not sure that the various bootlegs of the Passaic show made it the "highest selling" one (is it even possible to verify this?); in the years that followed, I saw roughly equal numbers of (different boots of) the Winterland, Passaic and Agora shows, with the community (happily and enthusiastically) split about which was the best performance (in my view, Winterland).  Also keep in mind that in '78 and for many years thereafter, boots were limited to vinyl, and to the few stores around the country willing to sell and able to get them, categories in which the NYC market again dominated.  In sum, not surprised that a NYer (as I was then) would think Passaic the most heard, successful or important; living on the west coast, the Winterland show seems more prominent in these categories.

I'd also suggest that in the years prior to '78, the Bottom Line show was THE dominant live Bruce boot.  In 1978, the volume of commercially available Bruce had grown by 33% with the release of Darkness, and the '78 radio show boots added even more variety.  But during '76-'77, the community was starved for fresh Bruce, both folks seeking live recordings of shows like ones they'd seen and folks eager to hear what all the fuss was about.  Back then, the Bottom Line and '75 Roxy show were the main bootlegs, had the market largely to themselves (yes, there were a few other goods ones that were more scarce), were eagerly snatched up wherever they could be found, and dominated the market for anyone looking for new Bruce stuff.  And the Bottom Line was an incredible performance.  I believe that its influence on the rock world from '75-'78 far exceeded the influence of the Passaic bootlegs thereafter (which had much more competition and less mystery to them).

As a side note, I was at the Palladium on 9 17 78 when Bruce first dusted off Kitty's Back after (what was then) a long hiatus.  I think it took a few shows for it to hit stride again.  I am struck by how the 9.20 Kitty performance blows away the 9.19 (and 9.17) versions - and almost approaches the stratospheric level of the 18+-min. 8 15 1975 Bottom Line performance (which to me remains the greatest single-song performance that Bruce and the band have ever given.) 

Nice that today's archive release has brought back important debates such as these . . .

Great post.   The Bottom Line was great because it was live Bruce, but the sound quality suffered greatly, as I recall.   I think the first boot I had was Main Point, ‘75?

My history of Springsteen bootlegs ain’t what it once was, but that Main Point set...You Can Trust Your Car, on the Tarkyphone label?  Can that be right? Had to be one of the first.   And The Jersey Devil.   

Love these posts.  Takes me waaaay back. 

• Like 5

I downloaded the Flac HD and put it on the HD that goes in my car. I then drove from Manchester to South Devon where I’m now having a whiskey reflecting on what I’ve just listened to.

I won’t go into the show as we’ve all (probably) heard it a fair few times. I will however mentioned the fact that a middle aged man was punching the roof of his car numerous times and singing along as if I was there. The sound quality was perfect and you could pick out the individual instruments but more importantly the space between.

it was a total immersion experience like slapping on a virtual reality headset or discovering that the time machine does work when you hit 88mph. Springsteen fans I know who left us for the Jungleland in the sky are looking down on us lucky sods and thinking ‘you jammy bastards’ ha ha

Download if you can afford it. Save up over the next few weeks if you can’t. We are indeed living in  extraordinary times.  Special mention for Sandy... TBF  special mention for all the songs.

Enjoy

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, lilbud said:

Well shit, my internet didn't crap out and actually worked as advertised. I thought it would take longer.

I synced the new audio up to the pro shot video we have from the Capitol Theatre's video system.

Are you ready to prove it all night?

Fucking Danny at 7:36  :wub:

1 hour ago, lilbud said:

Well shit, my internet didn't crap out and actually worked as advertised. I thought it would take longer.

I synced the new audio up to the pro shot video we have from the Capitol Theatre's video system.

Are you ready to prove it all night?

The awesomely odd grunts and squawks at 5:20 ...Another thing i loved .... i miss it

• Like 2

ive done the bizzo and im now  ready to listen

i only have a handful of bootlegs so unless ive seen/heard it on u tube this should be at least mostly new to me

this is a dream set list 

• Like 1

i think ive spent alot of time in 1978 because i was ready and waiting for streets of fire 

@Brilliant Disguise was this your first show ? did you go with your brother ? im listening out for you ;)

who else was here this night ?

im getting the feeling most of you have gone to bed :(

how can you sleep when im whistling (loud and out of tune with way too much spit going on) along to spirit 

excuse my lack of expertise but im a fairly plain girl with basic needs and simple pleasures but this sounds fantastic to me

i can hear everybody playing 

when i hear Danny i cant stop smiling 

this is the kind of show that gets one through the dark days and lonelly nights of hard times

• Like 2

i just got in trouble for making too much noise- head phones on thumbing my ribbs in time to prove it 

never undervalue the importance of the Mighty Max

fuck it - im playing that again

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Absolutely.  

Regards Winterland, I don't want that one either.  We have it in great quality :lol:.

Winterland was my first boot, but it's an old vinyl one. It was played so much it I can't play it anymore and have it play cleanly so this is the show I really want in this series.

Seeing the old name of the boot off this show I had it also but Winterland was always my go to.

• Love Love Love! 1