Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

5 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Another treasured bootleg happily deleted. Just settling down with this beauty now. I suppose it's only fitting that tonight's marijuana vape strain is Strawberry Badlands.

Haven't you seen the news? Vaping is killing people. Just roll one up. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Haven't you seen the news? Vaping is killing people. Just roll one up. 

Not only the news, but I'm pretty up on the THC vapes. The recent deaths are mainly from nicotine vapes and they haven't said yet, but I'm curious if they were all the same brand or if they'll find some pesticide or other impurity in the oils. As for my vaping, after some trial and error and a lot of research, I've settled on a very nice brand. Raw Garden produces their oil from live resin, the whole flower only and natural terpenes from the same plants. Each batch is independently lab tested, with the results on the package and also confirmable on the independent website of the lab. No additives, no pesticides, no chemicals other than what comes from the plant. For me, with my bad lungs, this is the safer alternative to all the smoking I've done for the last 40 years. And the high is amazing. I didn't think I'd ever find a vape cartridge that provided an experience and results so much like smoking flower, but Raw Garden is king.

Unfortunately, because the industry is still new and not properly regulated, there are a lot of fly-by-night companies producing cheap or counterfeit products that are full of dangerous pesticides and other chemicals. Just like with flower, you have to be selective and find the best product and a reputable dispensary.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rumble said:

The mass dissemination of the concert after the show (pre-internet) on the boot record and tapes and into the River era, arguably is significantly responsible for the “ you gotta see him live “ mantra that solidified his reputation as THE guy to see live and also propelled his insane fan following into the arenas of the River and Stadiums of USA tours.

I listened to this on cassette in 78 and been hooked ever since, as have many others.  

Plus the East Coast Broadcast from Boston to Philly was the biggest bang population wise of all the 78 broadcasts 

Before digital and torrents it was the go to show for many

Wasn’t it always the case that the cd bootleg sound was distinctly better on disc 1 than disc 2? Haven’t played it for ages and glad I now don’t need to. FM radio sound is not as good as CD quality and even the vinyl (which many prefer to cd let alone inferior late 70’s tape cassettes) would only have been as good as the FM radio source, and all the sound limitations that comes with music played over the radio. 

And now over 40 years later we have it in 24 bit 96 kHz HD sound remastered through the plangent process. Wow, just wow.

It continues to be an absolutely fantastic time to be a Bruce fan with music riches coming thick and fast in these last few months. And so much more hopefully to come in 2019 and 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, Citysmith said:

I downloaded the Flac HD and put it on the HD that goes in my car. I then drove from Manchester to South Devon where I’m now having a whiskey reflecting on what I’ve just listened to.

I won’t go into the show as we’ve all (probably) heard it a fair few times. I will however mentioned the fact that a middle aged man was punching the roof of his car numerous times and singing along as if I was there. The sound quality was perfect and you could pick out the individual instruments but more importantly the space between.

it was a total immersion experience like slapping on a virtual reality headset or discovering that the time machine does work when you hit 88mph. Springsteen fans I know who left us for the Jungleland in the sky are looking down on us lucky sods and thinking ‘you jammy bastards’ ha ha

Download if you can afford it. Save up over the next few weeks if you can’t. We are indeed living in  extraordinary times.  Special mention for Sandy... TBF  special mention for all the songs.

Enjoy

Do you play the HD files on an SD card in your car head unit or a portable external Hard drive connected to the car USB? Car head units downsample the sound quality to CD (16 bit) as I understand it.

Unless you connect your external High Resolution music player which will process your HD files and convert that undiluted sound to analog for you to play via your car Aux-in. That way, the HD files are from your music player and not processed by your car head unit DAC.

I do that, because my high res player supports gapless play and I can’t stand listening to live concerts with gaps in between the tracks. 

12 hours ago, lilbud said:

Another thought: Jake Clemons has gotta be pissed. He released his new album today and his boss has to one up him a few hours later with the most wanted live album ever.

Similar thing with Steven's new album and the whole Western Horses meltdown.

There's no way they would do these things on purpose (would they?) but their timing is awful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

There's no way they would do these things on purpose (would they?) but their timing is awful.

i would think its just lack of awareness on JLM's part (not caring to check) but its not nice manners

41 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Someone's timing is awful, for sure, but I'm finding it hard to blame Bruce and nugs here. First Friday was established years ago, and we've known that this month would be Bruce's 70th for "a bit" longer. If anything, I feel that Jake's label should have either released his album earlier or waited - if they were aware of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Well, you might expect that this far into the Archive Series, Jake and his record label would be aware of what happens on the first friday of each month.

EDIT: Posted before I saw Dr. Zoom made the same point above me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lilbud said:

Well shit, my internet didn't crap out and actually worked as advertised. I thought it would take longer.

I synced the new audio up to the pro shot video we have from the Capitol Theatre's video system.

Are you ready to prove it all night?

Is this a trick? Sounds like the old version to me...new audio is better than this

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Well, you might expect that this far into the Archive Series, Jake and his record label would be aware of what happens on the first friday of each month.

EDIT: Posted before I saw Dr. Zoom made the same point above me.

Yes.  When I said 'their' I was referring to both parties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lilbud said:

Well shit, my internet didn't crap out and actually worked as advertised. I thought it would take longer.

I synced the new audio up to the pro shot video we have from the Capitol Theatre's video system.

Are you ready to prove it all night?

Thank you!  I have grown young again! 

• Love Love Love! 2

16 hours ago, lilbud said:

Another thought: Jake Clemons has gotta be pissed. He released his new album today and his boss has to one up him a few hours later with the most wanted live album ever.

Interesting point you’ve made actually - you’ve got to imagine releasing this through the archives will have lost Bruce and co money, if you compare it to how much it would have made as an “official”/“standard” release 

• Like 1

Re above post I say that as it is such a famous show so a CD release would sell in droves you’d imagine, especially among Springsteen fans, many of whom don’t really know of the archives (many of my dad’s friends are super fans and have attended a tonne of shows, yet don’t know of the archives, for example)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BobbyJames said:

Interesting point you’ve made actually - you’ve got to imagine releasing this through the archives will have lost Bruce and co money, if you compare it to how much it would have made as an “official”/“standard” release 

i thought after its no show for the last 5 years, it was destined to be a Sony release.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Re above post I say that as it is such a famous show so a CD release would sell in droves you’d imagine, especially among Springsteen fans, many of whom don’t really know of the archives (many of my dad’s friends are super fans and have attended a tonne of shows, yet don’t know of the archives, for example)

don't they have Bruce Springsteen. net on their home page ?.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Smilin' Skull Ring said:

i thought after its no show for the last 5 years, it was destined to be a Sony release.

Maybe Winterland will be that one then, with the 2nd Winterland show a regular Archive release at some point.

I think -from memory- from the so-called 'leaked contract' [IF that is genuine; maybe it is not] Bruce still owes Sony a few live albums as regular Sony releases (but maybe this is not true). Sometimes it is said a release of the full Tempe 1980 show in audio could be one of these albums, too (like London 1975 released separate from the DVD).

Edit: Lovers of conspiray theories now might suggest the release of full Tempe 1980 in audio will be followed some time later by a 'New Edition' (like the American Land Edition of the Seeger album) with a bonus DVD with the video's of the 10 Tempe songs not on the DVD in the River box).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I think -from memory- from the so-called 'leaked contract' [IF that is genuine; maybe it is not] Bruce still owes Sony a few live albums as regular Sony releases (but maybe this is not true).

It wasn't the actual contract, it was an internal Sony document authorising the cancellation of the previous contract to be replaced by a new one.

It did indicate that Bruce would release five live albums.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Floom2 said:

For fans of a certain age, there's no way to put a price on this one.  Springsteen's live rep was solid long before 1978, but this tour, aided by the radio broadcasts, started the big ball rolling.  For most of us, this show was like a ghost...a myth...the Loch Ness Monster of bootlegs.  We'd heard about it (the first pressing was called Piece de Resistance) and after the publication of one or two books cataloging Springsteen's bootleg discography (Most notably The Hunt/Humphries book Blinded By The Light, which listed Piece de Resistance as far beyond essential)  this became the Holy Grail of boots.  

Now, this very excellent recording is NOT Piece de Resistance.  Piece was a beautiful box set with a great black and white cover and a pretty damn good vinyl pressing of the broadcast. I was lucky to have a pressing of this boot, the ownership of which solidified my fandom. 

I'm into Darkness right now, and this most certainly is NOT Piece de Resistance.  The sound and detail is far beyond my modest vinyl bootleg. For the Rock historians among us, this is pretty close to the first printing of the Declaration of Independence.   I await, of course, for the ACTUAL Declaration of Independece:  Bottom Line, 1975. 

Appreciate the comparison to "Piece de Resistance". As you state, this was one of the premier boots subsequent to the '78 tour. I have a well-played, well-traveled copy of the box set you describe. Occasionally, I would play snippets from it on my college radio show (way back in the day!). Invariably, someone would show up at the studio to see where I got that incredible live Bruce. As has been mentioned by others, it's difficult for younger fans to appreciate how scarce good quality live Bruce recordings were back in the 70's. Those bootlegs were rare treasures back then. Looking forward to hearing this fresh version. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

It wasn't the actual contract, it was an internal Sony document authorising the cancellation of the previous contract to be replaced by a new one.

It did indicate that Bruce would release five live albums.

it makes you wonder what those 5 albums will be... would they put out some Nugs releases with proper packaging, liner notes, etc (maybe an upgraded BC mix?). Nah, they would never make us pay twice for the same thing....

11 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i think ive spent alot of time in 1978 because i was ready and waiting for streets of fire 

@Brilliant Disguise was this your first show ? did you go with your brother ? im listening out for you ;)

who else was here this night ?

im getting the feeling most of you have gone to bed :(

how can you sleep when im whistling (loud and out of tune with way too much spit going on) along to spirit 

excuse my lack of expertise but im a fairly plain girl with basic needs and simple pleasures but this sounds fantastic to me

i can hear everybody playing 

when i hear Danny i cant stop smiling 

this is the kind of show that gets one through the dark days and lonelly nights of hard times

I was at Night 2 (9/20/78) and I went with a bunch of my friends.  It was one of the best nights of my life.  Danced, sang and sweated our asses off.

My first show was MSG in August '78.  It was a great time to be a Bruce fan.  Those shows with 'just the boys' were so special and magical.

• Love Love Love! 2

4 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I was at Night 2 (9/20/78) and I went with a bunch of my friends.  It was one of the best nights of my life.  Danced, sang and sweated our asses off.

My first show was MSG in August '78.  It was a great time to be a Bruce fan.  Those shows with 'just the boys' were so special and magical.

Not to mention the fact that 9/20 was IN A THEATRE !!!!

Plus don't we award extra "Bruce Points" any night one gets Incident into Rosie ? :)

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2