Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

Up to Meeting and, thank God, justice has been done to one of the best shows and boots I’ve ever heard. Best archive release by miles. Don’t even try to argue. I bought the Piece de Resistance silvers waaay back in the day so I know this one well but ffs this is incredible. Also, C sings on Streets of Fire??! I’d never heard that before! Yes, I like this one :D.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Fantastic release, as others have noted, new details appear in this mix. There's a...descending chord change or something (not a musician, so don't know if that's the correct terminology), in Spirit In The Night, when they go to the chorus, that I've never heard (or noticed) on any version. Very cool. Paolo mentions Thunder Road, and I have to say, it's almost as good as LA '85. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Fantastic release, as others have noted, new details appear in this mix. There's a...descending chord change or something (not a musician, so don't know if that's the correct terminology), in Spirit In The Night, when they go to the chorus, that I've never heard (or noticed) on any version. Very cool. Paolo mentions Thunder Road, and I have to say, it's almost as good as LA '85. 

This had me going back to the LA '85 review to see what I wrote about that one and bloody hell there's a stark contrast where it concerns vocals!

LA '85

Bruce adds in little quips after specific lines such as “don’t ya?!” after “you know just what I’m here for” and teases the crowd with “are you talkin’ to me?” after their singing part of the song. His vocals are a bit worn here and his singing is unique with certain lyrics being sung differently, including one of my favourite finales, “they’re gone on the wind, SO WHAT ARE YA WAITIN’ FOR?! CLIMB IN!” 

Passaic #1

what I love about it is that it’s nothing flash. No vocal nuances or particular guitar riffs, just a man and his band playing the most excellent and purely reliable version that you’re ever likely to hear of one of their greatest songs.

I mentioned earlier in the thread I was overwhelmed by this show and that really was the case for "Racing", "Thunder Road" and "Jungleland". I don't know if it was that or the fact I've written in detail about them loads over the last year and a bit, but I really struggled to find the words.

Seriously, I finished the show, wrote everything up about the other 21 songs and went back to replay those three immediately afterwards. I was dumbfounded by them. Still am, tbh. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

This had me going back to the LA '85 review to see what I wrote about that one and bloody hell there's a stark contrast where it concerns vocals!

LA '85

Passaic #1

I mentioned earlier in the thread I was overwhelmed by this show and that really was the case for "Racing", "Thunder Road" and "Jungleland". I don't know if it was that or the fact I've written in detail about them loads over the last year and a bit, but I really struggled to find the words.

Seriously, I finished the show, wrote everything up about the other 21 songs and went back to replay those three immediately afterwards. I was dumbfounded by them. Still am, tbh. 

Yeah, it's purely the vocals on LA 85 that makes it my favourite, and it's the little nuances; for example that nano-second pause between "..make it" and "...good somehow" just...I don't know, it just makes a big difference (to me, at least). The Passaic version for some reason is superior to other Thunder Roads from '78, though. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Yeah, it's purely the vocals on LA 85 that makes it my favourite, and it's the little nuances; for example that nano-second pause between "..make it" and "...good somehow" just...I don't know, it just makes a big difference (to me, at least). The Passaic version for some reason is superior to other Thunder Roads from '78, though. 

I've been asked so many times why I've got countless shows on my iTunes, "what's different about them?" and you've pretty much just hit the nail on the head - not in the "this is what I'd say to a non-fan" nail on head way mind, but still. It's the little differences that keep us enthralled with this Series and help towards making every release matter. 

You could arguably say the Passaic version of every song from '78 is superior. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've been asked so many times why I've got countless shows on my iTunes, "what's different about them?" and you've pretty much just hit the nail on the head - not in the "this is what I'd say to a non-fan" nail on head way mind, but still. It's the little differences that keep us enthralled with this Series and help towards making every release matter. 

You could arguably say the Passaic version of every song from '78 is superior. 

Yeah, if I'd say that to a non-fan or even casual fan, I'd get weird looks. Come to thhink of it, I've probably said something to that effect at some point at the height of my fandom in the late 80's. And gotten weird looks. :P

Think you're right about most every song from Passaic is superior, but what's your take on Tenth from this show? It has a different bass drum beat at the start, that I've not heard on any other recording.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Yeah, if I'd say that to a non-fan or even casual fan, I'd get weird looks. Come to thhink of it, I've probably said something to that effect at some point at the height of my fandom in the late 80's. And gotten weird looks. :P

Think you're right about most every song from Passaic is superior, but what's your take on Tenth from this show? It has a different bass drum beat at the start, that I've not heard on any other recording.

Aye, come to think of it I'm certain I've responded with "the vocals and that are different, man" and heads have been shaken in response. #FirstWorldSpringsteenProblems. 

This "Tenth" is excellent! Not the one I've searched for but it has just about everything you want. Max's drumming gets better as the shows goes on and that crispness is really notable. Steve's guitar licks are mint and Bruce's voice isn't that gravelly for it, which is a big plus. Honestly, as far as ""Tenth" goes, this is a solid 8.7. 

• Like 3

How big of a must-have is this show?

Last time I downloaded a show was November when there was a 50-percent off sale. And that was after asking the Mrs. permission.

This time, I'm asking her for forgiveness.

B)

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve had this bootleg for a while so I’m very familiar with it, but the audio enhancements really catapult it to new levels of exceptional.

I still think Winterland is a better bootleg though, and long for the day the HD archive is released.

Still, very happy with this release. Delighted I have a top quality version of Meeting Across The River now.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

15 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Careful now, Mr Landau will be seething that his Houston '78 uploads are being overlooked and have Passaic #1 wiped from the Live website. 

I guess that's why I woke up to see my that my Vimeo account was deleted. Doesn't want anyone disturbing the slow drip feed of single songs from a 10 year old DVD

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I guess that's why I woke up to see my that my Vimeo account was deleted. Doesn't want anyone disturbing the slow drip feed of single songs from a 10 year old DVD

Enjoy the re-up while you can (before it probably gets removed again.)

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2