Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

Finally managed to listen to this all the way through (not easy with a new baby in the house) and whilst it remains the definitive Springsteen show in my view, I am not sure it quite manages to usurp the honour of being the definitive archive release from Passaic night 2 (as much as the broadcast is the better show, I tend to nitpick over sound).

And in terms of the sound, I think that in overall terms, it is fantastic: rich and powerful to the point that it makes the excellent Crystal Cat version sound like a distant echo.  However, in terms of the mix specifically, I think it falls somewhat short of achieving the instrumental clarity and balance of the BC mix from the following night.  At some points, it also highlights JA’s idiosyncratic love affair with the bass drum.

The best comparison is Badlands.  JA mixes Steve’s rhythm guitar far too low for me (kind of like how he unforgivably mixed Steve’s guitar parts out of Lost in the Flood on the Reunion finale show).  Streets of Fire also suffers and I much preferred how Bruce’s guitar sounded in Jimmy Iovine’s original broadcast mix.  However, it does improve noticeably from Spirit onward and as I noted in my earlier post, BTN sounds monstrous.  Conscious I am being more than a little picky but I so hoped that this show would get the deluxe BC treatment.

So is it awesome? Undeniably yes.  Is it as awesome as I hoped.  Probably not.  But as part of a Darkness triptych with Passaic 2 and Agora, it is surely good enough for me!

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please allow me to express myself... Feeling used up. Something is different and I dont know what it. Old age. Depression.  Put this on and I so needed it. There is magic in the night.

Another HOLY GRAIL show. Quite possibly THEE holy grail show of all time. I'm fucking in tears right now! Nineteen-Fucking-Seventy Eight. I am beside myself with rapturous joy. This is Springsteen &am

Well shit, my internet didn't crap out and actually worked as advertised. I thought it would take longer. I synced the new audio up to the pro shot video we have from the Capitol Theatre's video

Posted Images

Regarding Alltschiller, it still remains a great surprise how somebody who had no previous involvement with Bruce gets a top job like this, and an important one to boot. Obv Bob The God was too expensive for a monthly series, but I would have thought Toby Scott ( who mixed the original Stockholm '88 show live to air) would have been a better fit, especially as he's already on the payroll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Regarding Alltschiller, it still remains a great surprise how somebody who had no previous involvement with Bruce gets a top job like this, and an important one to boot. Obv Bob The God was too expensive for a monthly series, but I would have thought Toby Scott ( who mixed the original Stockholm '88 show live to air) would have been a better fit, especially as he's already on the payroll.

Agreed.  Other than the Nassau NYE omnishamble, I think Toby Scott has done and would have continued to do a good job at the mixing desk.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, utahdesert said:

Hard to overlook the bad mixes of the 1st Nassau NYE and Rome '13.

Can only speak for Nassau and it was truly awful as noted. But JA also has to account for the Reunion closer and Roxy 78 amongst others.  Toby Scott did more with 2 tracks on Agora than JA did with multi tracks on the former pair.

• Like 1

These Passaic shows were exactly 41 years ago and I am thrilled we have them in such spectacular sound quality. 

The HD 24 bit high res files of Passaic night 1 & 2 both sound absolutely stunning to me. No complaints whatsoever. Both shows are the pride of my archive collection. 

Night 1 wins for me due to that sublime Racing into Thunder Road. Night 2 always teases with those first few piano notes of Racing before Bruce decides to skip it and go straight to TR. 

Looking forward to the night 3 release, hopefully very soon. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

These Passaic shows were exactly 41 years ago and I am thrilled we have them in such spectacular sound quality. 

The HD 24 bit high res files of Passaic night 1 & 2 both sound absolutely stunning to me. No complaints whatsoever. Both shows are the pride of my archive collection. 

Night 1 wins for me due to that sublime Racing into Thunder Road. Night 2 always teases with those first few piano notes of Racing before Bruce decides to skip it and go straight to TR. 

Looking forward to the night 3 release, hopefully very soon. 

Would also put both shows in the top 5 releases regardless for different reasons.  I also think there is a distinction to be made between sound quality generally and mix specifically.

Passaic 2 sounds fantastic and is mixed perfectly.  Passaic 1 has fantastic sound that is superior to the Crystal Cat version but I prefer the mix on the broadcast version.  Had the mix been left in line with that original mix but allied with the Plangent enhanced sound of the archive release, it would have been the best archive release by a country mile.  As it is and accepting the issue of mix is personal, I think they improved the sound greatly but muddied the mix.  

Listen to Badlands on both for the biggest difference and then the version from Agora.  The track sounds much better with Steve higher in the mix and less bass.  I do think it gets better from Spirit onward though as I said previously and I would say that BTN in particular actually sounds better than it does on Night 2.

Edit: I think BC brings out more of the nuances from the Prove it intro too.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, Karembu said:

However, in terms of the mix specifically, I think it falls somewhat short of achieving the instrumental clarity and balance of the BC mix from the following night.  

23 hours ago, Karembu said:

Agreed.  Other than the Nassau NYE omnishamble, I think Toby Scott has done and would have continued to do a good job at the mixing desk.

I don't see how someone can be so simultaneously picky about the nuances of Steve's rhythm guitar in the mix, and think Toby was doing a good job?  Whether it was his directive or otherwise, all of his releases in this series were mixed to sound more "live", ie reverberant messes. 

Since you've used Badlands as an example - go back now and listen to either one of the Passaic releases back to back with Badlands from August 5 1984.  Passaic sounds like you're on stage with the band, 84 sounds like you're at least halfway back in the arena.  Clarence's solo sounds like it was recorded by cranking up Bruce's vocal mic.  I know there are some who preferred that "you are there" feeling, but if "instrumental clarity" is your preference, Toby was not providing it.

• Like 1

As for the Passaic releases, it all just comes down to personal preference.  For me, I think Steve was mixed absurdly high in the original broadcast.  It was interesting to hear him so clearly, but ultimately I found it distracting.  I prefer the new mix where he's pushed more to the background. If I'd never heard the broadcast I'd have no idea I was missing anything, this just sounds "right".

Most of all I love that clearly careful attention was paid about when to mix him higher.  Speaking of Badlands - compare at 4:04, on the new mix Steve is right there where he belongs, but when Bruce comes in, and especially by 4:19 when Roy take over he is rightfully brought down to the background, keeping your focus on the thrust of the song.  This had not been the case with many of the archive releases, which seemed to take more if a "set it and forget it" approach to the levels.

I'm loving this new release.  This is the best I've ever heard Bruce's guitar sound.  Clarence's backing vocals in Streets of Fire are a revelation.  Sure it's a bit bass/drum heavy, though that may be in the mastering more than the mix.  Notice Adam Ayan did not master the 20th - JA did (!) Either way rolling off the bass around 125hz on playback does it well enough for me, so it's a very minor quibble.  This surpasses the 20th for me.  Best of the series.  

Point being, we may disagree about specific decisions that are made, but I hope they continue listening this closely on future releases.  Not everything needs BC, just a little more attention to detail.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

I still feel there will be a birthday surprise.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get an archive release for birthday.

I personally think we will get some kind of announcement Monday morning. Box Set of some kind (tracks 2, BITUSA, WS), WS Soundtrack Album, New Album Details, etc.

You can quote me if I am right

• Like 1

God knows his empire can afford a generous gesture. Come on Bruce, in the spirit of all that's gone before, throw something out there from which you and JLM don't benefit.  You are Croesus rich.  Scatter some crumbs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lilbud said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get an archive release for birthday.

I personally think we will get some kind of announcement Monday morning. Box Set of some kind (tracks 2, BITUSA, WS), WS Soundtrack Album, New Album Details, etc.

You can quote me if I am right

Can we quote you if you are wrong too? ;) 

On 9/7/2019 at 7:15 AM, doesthisbusstop said:

Do you play the HD files on an SD card in your car head unit or a portable external Hard drive connected to the car USB? Car head units downsample the sound quality to CD (16 bit) as I understand it.

Unless you connect your external High Resolution music player which will process your HD files and convert that undiluted sound to analog for you to play via your car Aux-in. That way, the HD files are from your music player and not processed by your car head unit DAC.

I do that, because my high res player supports gapless play and I can’t stand listening to live concerts with gaps in between the tracks. 

I've got a 1tb hard drive in the glovebox with music on and it's connected up to a pioneer SPH-DA120.  

On 9/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Citysmith said:

I've got a 1tb hard drive in the glovebox with music on and it's connected up to a pioneer SPH-DA120.  

Nice system which plays FLAC files but worth contacting pioneer to ask them if it downsamples your HD files to 16bit 48khz. If so save yourself some money buying archives in FLAC, instead of FLAC HD. 

19 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Nice system which plays FLAC files but worth contacting pioneer to ask them if it downsamples your HD files to 16bit 48khz. If so save yourself some money buying archives in FLAC, instead of FLAC HD. 

I’ll email them. I’ve bought all the archives in HD so it’s future proofing if nothing else. The cars not much but the stereo is good ha ha 

• Like 2

Finally remembered to pick this up: what a treat.

PdR was the first bootleg I ever heard; my dad's friend from work gave us a tape of it and I remember being blown away by Backstreets with the Sad Eyes ending.  Glad to find that its power endures to this day - what a show!

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

PdR was the first bootleg I ever heard; my dad's friend from work gave us a tape of it and I remember being blown away by Backstreets with the Sad Eyes ending.

Love Backstreets, love the '78 tour. But I don't like the Sad Eyes thing. And it's not the ending. That might have been OK. It's before the ending and mucks with the flow of the song. Science proves it! I'm not sure how, but it does!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I can’t decide if Because the night is better in Passaic night 1 or Nassau 31/12. Both versions are absolutely SMOKING on these new archive releases. 

With you on this.  Never really rated either that highly before their respective (re)releases, which dramatically changed my perception of each.  Now consider them both as being in the top 3 versions I have ever heard.  The third would be Wembley 2007.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2019 at 12:35 AM, phantomengineer said:

Love Backstreets, love the '78 tour. But I don't like the Sad Eyes thing. And it's not the ending. That might have been OK. It's before the ending and mucks with the flow of the song. Science proves it! I'm not sure how, but it does!

I loved it then, and still do - can't get enough of it.
On the other hand, science does tell us that the '78 version of Prove It All Night is duller than literally any version that doesn't go on as long (which is every other version) ;)