Greasy Lake Community

9/19/1978! (New archive release)

I think Prove It 78 is the single best thing Bruce (or any band/artist) has ever done live so clearly I disagree.  Any subsequent version is substandard to me no matter how good it is.  

I also get annoyed at the Sad Eyes part of Backstreets and prefer the versions just played straight.  I think they made the right choice editing it out of Live 75-85.  It would be an awesome and most likely powerful experience live but I find it breaks up the flow of the song (which is my favorite Bruce song all time) upon repeated listens.  I find myself skipping ahead during it when I listen to shows nowadays.  I find it hard to think of a version of a song by Bruce or any artist for that matter than has a live interlude that breaks up the song in the middle that actually enhances the song for me personally.

I am probably in the minority with this opinion especially on this and other Bruce fan boards.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

I also get annoyed at the Sad Eyes part of Backstreets and prefer the versions just played straight.  I think they made the right choice editing it out of Live 75-85.  It would be an awesome and most likely powerful experience live but I find it breaks up the flow of the song (which is my favorite Bruce song all time) upon repeated listens.  I find myself skipping ahead during it when I listen to shows nowadays.  I find it hard to think of a version of a song by Bruce or any artist for that matter than has a live interlude that breaks up the song in the middle that actually enhances the song for me personally.

I am probably in the minority with this opinion especially on this and other Bruce fan boards.

I tend to agree with this.

At any rate the "aborted" Sad Eyes version on the Houston '78 DVD is a good example.  I haven't played it in a while but as I recall Bruce seemed to not be feeling it or whatever, and it really tanks the song.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I tend to agree with this.

At any rate the "aborted" Sad Eyes version on the Houston '78 DVD is a good example.  I haven't played it in a while but as I recall Bruce seemed to not be feeling it or whatever, and it really tanks the song.

I also tend to agree. I used to love that part of the song, but I really don't any more. It's OK and all, but the ultimate version of the song to me, is the studio version. Never bettered.

I would love to hear the one from 2012 or 2013 (?) where he does Dream Baby Dream in the place of the Sad Eyes thing, I imagine it to be excellent.

• Like 2