Sign in to follow this  
Walker in the sun

100 best albums of 21st C - Guardian

I think I've got Fleet Foxes and I bought the Radiohead one you get for virtually nothing.

A massive 2/100

13 for me I think,   But some of those bands I do have more albums by that are not on the list.  

Let me just say.......I'm glad I came of age during the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Good night.

• Like 5

20/100

I also have at least six albums that should be in the Top 10:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Cat Power - The Greatest

Solange - When I Get Home

Lambchop - Nixon

Bob D - "Love & Theft"

White Stripes - White Blood Cells

9 albums. I expected a little bit more because of a short-lived attempt to listen more to 'new music' in the 'mid-00s'. Some great albums from that time are not in the list, like the untitled first album by The Coral, No Cities Left by The Dears, a few Belle & Sebastian albums, the very great first two Franz Ferdinand albums, the first two Razorlight albums and the first two Kaiser Chief albums (3 bands who did not suffer the 'difficult second album' syndrome as for all 3 bands the second album is better than the also very good, or great, first album).

What maybe says it all: I own 5 albums of the first 20, among them Nr. 1 and 2,  but only 4 albums of the bottom 80.

The albums I own are: both Winehouse albums, both Radiohead albums, Is This It (The Strokes), Funeral (Arcade Fire; and why is their second album Neon Bible not in the list too?), Antony & The Johnsons, Fleet Foxes, and Elephant by The White Stripes.

Yes. The White Stripes. 5 of their 6 studio albums could be in the list, as only their first album is from the 90s; and the only one is Elephant at nr.48! This list is rubbish and can not be taken seriously. (Tbh the last 2 White Stripes albums are probably not really great albums but De Stijl or White Blood Cells could be in the list).

And The Guardian does not like old musicians? No Bruce (The Rising would be the most obvious choice), no Dylan (Modern Times), no Tom Waits? (Real Gone). And no Richard Thompson, who made quite a few very good , great and very great albums this century. No Lucinda Williams? (West and the fantastic Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone).

As said this list is rubbish and can not be taken seriously.

10 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes. The White Stripes. 5 of their 6 studio albums could be in the list, as only their first album is from the 90s; and the only one is Elephant at nr.48! This list is rubbish and can not be taken seriously. (Tbh the last 2 White Stripes albums are probably not really great albums but De Stijl or White Blood Cells could be in the list).

Exactly. Apart from Get Behind Me Satan (which also has some really great songs), it’s an amazing discography. I think that, easily, their first 3 records should be on that list.

• Like 1

3 / 100 (but some of them are still on my "to buy" list : Bowie, Primal Scream ....)

Elephant

Funeral

Back to black (which I'm very happy to see as n°1 as I consider this masterpiece the last true classic in rock/pop music).

I've got Lady Gaga and both the Amy Winehouse albums.  That's it.  <shrugs>

23 hours ago, High As Hope said:

A big fat zero.

me too ! 

iStock-Orla.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, Tom-Joad said:

Exactly. Apart from Get Behind Me Satan (which also has some really great songs), it’s an amazing discography. I think that, easily, their first 3 records should be on that list.

Agreed.

(Apart from the fact that the first album was released in 1999..)

On 9/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, Tom-Joad said:

The first White Stripes album is from 1999. Also, there seemed to be an unwritten rule 'no more than 2 albums of the same artist in the list' (maybe; or maybe not). White Bloods Cells or De Stijl could be in the list, however.

My real complaint about this was the low ranking of Elephant, at only 48.

In addition, not that much rock and roll in the list anyway (as far as I can see, as there are quite some artists I never heard of; judging from other posts in this topic, I am not alone in this).

Well, I only had 5. 

1. Vampire Weekend (both)

2. The National (Boxer)

3. Interpol (Turn on the Bright Lights)

4. White Strips (Elephant) 

7/100

• Yo La Tengo
  • The National (Boxer)
  • White Stripes (Elephant)
  • Outkast (Speakerboxx)
  • PJ Harvey (Streets)
  • Radiohead (Kid A)