Greasy Lake Community

BBC Radio Scotland - Springsteen special.

Link below for UK fans 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008j0n

Ricky Ross from Deacon Blue hosts a 2 hour special of Bruce songs that have inspired him over the years. 

Genuine fan, met him outside GOTJ tour in 1996 in Edinburgh...

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, A Saint in the city said:

Link below for UK fans 

Ricky Ross from Deacon Blue hosts a 2 hour special of Bruce songs that have inspired him over the years. 

Aye, decent enough bloke for an Arab......

I didnae hear about this until after the event so I'll give that a listen. 

19 minutes ago, A Saint in the city said:

Link below for UK fans 

I met him that night as well. I thought he was Cliff Richards. :D. Remember all the old fogies sitting outside waiting for tickets? It was what a pit queue for would look like for us now.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, A Saint in the city said:

Link below for UK fans 

I really enjoyed that.  It's been a long time since I've listened to a whole 'show' about Bruce in one sitting.  I even gave up my Netflix evening for it :lol: Good to hear some of the not so often played songs too.  One question though - Ricky's wife refused Bruce and Patti's invite to a party at their house? She REFUSED? And she told Ricky that HE had to tell them they weren't going? Did I hear right?

Thanks for the link...add me to the list of people who saw him and his wife Lorraine McIntosh at the Joad concert at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1996.

Knew he was a big Bruce fan...always thought Deacon Blue were trying ever so hard to be a scottish E Street Band. They were good though. Raintown is a great 80's album.

5 hours ago, A Saint in the city said:

Link below for UK fans 

thanks for the link

im looking forward to it tonight when i go to bed

it actually works for me :lol:

thanks BBC 

Makes for a really great listen, Ricky Ross has possibly waited years to host a show like this, saw Deacon Blue prior to them making Raintown and he often cited Bruce as such a huge personal influence. The songs of Raintown are so strong and if you never heard them , worth a revisit.

Great to hear a fan/ who is a successful songwriter  just take 2 hours paying their own homage to Bruce, his influence and their Springsteen journey - even if he does finish with Pony Boy!

Well worth a listen 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, Ricky is a top man and he just played the last forty years of my life, I think I was at every show he mentioned over the two hours and his love and admiration for Bruce is obvious, would be a great programme for those not so hardened Bruce fans to take in as Ricky does a great job illustrating what Bruce is about.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, merlin said:

I'm starting a  list for those who did not meet him that night!!!

I didn't see RR that night, although I once saw Dougie Vipond walking along Princes Street.

Good show, and I think that is the first time I have heard Pony Boy on the radio

• Like 2

Just listened to the whole show and really enjoyed the background to the song choices.

How many of us would love to put together a two hour radio show chronicling our Springsteen journey.

Although would take me ages to narrow down to 10 or 12 songs..... 

• Like 2

finished listening to that well after 1am

everyone has diffetent favourites

this is going to contain spoilers 

(i still feel really bad for posting that review with the Western stars Glenn Campbell spoiler)

bruce-springsteen-64.w768.h1154.2x.jpg

i think the only one i would have included in my '2 hours' would have been that raucous version of 10th. i like the LINYC version of LOHAD the best although i did really enjoy badlands and OITS

took me a while to tune in to his accent

btw who is he exactly ?

i would have trimmed back the chat and slotted in Candy's room

i was hoping for the promise from the chicken scratch tour when he was talking about bootlegs 

i did enjoy The fevour actually very much but i would have played Donna Summer's protection 

im on fire (a personal favourite) i did think was an interesting choice, the way he introduced it i thought it was going to be im going down)

nothing from Magic or D&D and i had been worried after the news when we launched into the rising the 90s were going to luck out !

wow! thats really short wheather you get in Scotland !!! 

i found the news and even the sport quite interesting 

i did get very excitted when he played WOAD but i think he should have divorced his wife after not going to a party at Bruce's house !!!

i think its really nice of the BBC to still be available all over the world and it was a most enjoyable 2 hours of radio 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 5:20 AM, A Saint in the city said:

Link below for UK fans 

thank you very much for posting that link

a most enjoyable 2 hours of radio 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:43 PM, risingaurora said:

BBC Radio Ulster special from 8pm tonight. https://www.bbc.co.uk/radioulster 

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 14.43.42.png

That's a blinding listen, cheers for that.

I hadn't heard a bunch of those covers.

The Aimee Mann and Michael Penn reason to believe is a cracker.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I've got a lot of time for Ricky Ross. 

The band are still brilliant live, and their last three albums ( A New House, particularly) are as strong as any in their back catalogue.

Deacon Blue are genuinely one of the few bands still left on my bucket list. They have never played here but I have all the albums (including the recent heavily expanded re-releases) and the brilliant recent Glasgow Barrowlands Blu Ray. Raintown is a bona fide classic but the entire catalogue is worth listening to.

• Like 1