Silvia

Happy Birthday, Bruce!

25 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

epweb, that looks like a blank page, but it might just be my phone?

It is not a blank page, it's the latest Blog entry from the best of friends in here. Maybe if you turn your phone landscape it will show up?

Karsten Stanley Andersen talks to his idol about getting old(er) and how it happened..

4 minutes ago, jepweb said:

It is not a blank page, it's the latest Blog entry from the best of friends in here. Maybe if you turn your phone landscape it will show up?

Karsten Stanley Andersen talks to his idol about getting old(er) and how it happened..

Oh, I know what it says :), I mentioned it in my post up there ^^^ somewhere this morning.

And you're right about the landscape thing - goodness, I learn something techy every day on here :lol:

4 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Oh, I know what it says :), I mentioned it in my post up there ^^^ somewhere this morning.

And you're right about the landscape thing - goodness, I learn something techy every day on here :lol:

Turning your phone to landscape is techy? Hmmm.

:huh:

1 minute ago, merlin said:

Turning your phone to landscape is techy? Hmmm.

:huh:

Well, yes :P cos when I look at that page holding my phone upright it's just a black screen.  I had no idea that turning the damn thing sideways would show up the text.  One of the reasons that I prefer my trusty laptop when perusing the Lake :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jukebox said:

You're assuming the curtains matched the carpet... :D

Or blondjes are better to hide as a surprise present in a Birthday cake than a redhead.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Bruce. Hope many more Birthdays come your way.

Thanks for all your fantastic music.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I've been on this personal journey with Bruce for 37 years now, since my last year at High School in early 1982 when my life was changed forever when I was introduced to his music. Seeing him in concert for the first time three years later just confirmed my belief which still exists to this day that he is the greatest songwriter and live performer of my lifetime. His for me unequalled back catalogue has been the soundtrack to my life and inspired and lifted me like no other recording artist has ever done. Having seen him in concert with and without the legendary E Street Band a total of 24 times since 1985, his concerts have provided me with many of the most joyful times of my life. So, a personal thank you to the Boss for the hundreds of great songs, the many great albums, some of which for me are true masterpieces, and just for being there. I hope you are "there" for many more years to come Bruce.

Happy 70th Birthday maestro..

What you have written is wonderful. I hope I get the chance  to meet you at a future Brucie gig and have a blether over a beer or two about our hero...

4 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Was in the car yesterday with the family (people talking) with Johnnie Walker on and about to play his obligatory Bruce song and reading out several requests etc and although I didn't hear fully/properly I did hear something like "say a big hello to any Greasy Lakers" and my daughter from the back was saying "that's you Dad" and then I heard the phrase "Sunny Morpeth" and I replied to my daughter "I know who that person is!"   Cheers! ha!  

It was the Sunny Morpeth that got my attention also.

Just read Karsten post, bloody flies. (Thank you for this Place)

• Like 2

Happy birthday Bruce.  Thanks for all the music

Lovely to read all the messages on this thread

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Happy birthday, Brucie boy.  I feel inadequate to call myself a true fan when compared to some of the nutters  die hards on here :D I haven't been with you from the beginning (DITD girl, me), I don't have any interest in the archive series, haven't been to AP (yet), I don't know when your childrens'/Patti's birthdays are (yeah, I could Google, I suppose), I didn't go out of my way to go to Broadway (but happy for my pals who did, and they know it).  Hell, I haven't even seen Blinded By The Light :lol:. But we've had a blast so far, eh? Some of the best days/nights of my life have been spent at your shows (once again, I'm waaaay down the list in the amount of times I've seen you).  There's something about you ... even mr jmw knows that. Thanks for Western Stars too :wub:

Anyway, I wanted to make it a bit special, this day of yours, by quoting some songwords that came into my head this morning.  They are as much about Greasy Lake as they are about you.  Do I love the Lake more? Crikey, there's a question! And have you (and you Lakers out there) read Karsten's story on the front page today? He deserves the front page.  Without him we wouldn't ... well, you know the rest, Bruce.

"I close my eyes and feel so many friends around me in the early evening light.  And the miles we have come and the battles won and lost are just so many roads travelled, so many rivers crossed.  And I ask God for the strength and faith in one another, cos it's a good night for a ride, 'cross this river to the other side, my blood brothers".

One of the best things I've read today. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

What can I say to honor my hero tonight on the eve of his 70th Birthday? I wish I knew him, I only know him from the songs and how they have been there for me since when I was small. I cant really remember the first song I really heard. I have a memory of hearing "Born to Run" in our apartment in Canoga Park. We have all heard these songs, and some of us feel differently than I do, but what matters is we all hear them and we are all moved by them, They make us feel better or worse. They help us dream and connect to a part of ourselves that wouldnt exist without them. There are ideas in those songs that have changed me for the better. The one song that means the most is "Darkness on the Edge of Town", the closing song on the samurai record of the same name. Our person, who moves through the record opens the song in resignation. They are still there out at the trestles doing what they do, and I am here in front of this mountain and I have a ten thousand pound boulder that I have to push up this hill tonight. She isnt here, cause it wasnt her style. But if she ever wants to see me, I'll be here amidst the Darkness that gives me life, that makes me feel alive, its all I know. This song has taught me to be me, and only me. Thats what Bruce has taught me with his music. "All you need to do is risk being your true self." I was born with secrets that I have carried through my life, and when I heard this music, it taught me to love myself despite them, I cut them loose as they were dragging me down. Freedom is a magical thing. This music has given me a life I never knew I wanted. The most important thing in the song is the end. We are still pushing that boulder, but whats more true is to give it all we have and to never stop. To be on time and to pay the cost of wanting these things that others dont...Its not a free ride. The cost is being honest and true. Those things are rare and they are only found amidst the Darkness. This is where we live. These things can only be found here, and Bruce is the only one that could have written the sound track to my life. We all have other favorites. Currently I listen to "Backstreets" (The live versions from '78 thanks to the magical archive series) I am listening to "Into The Fire". I hear "My Fathers House". I am listening to "Incident on 57th Street". All these songs say something to me, but together they tell my story and in some ways yours....

More importantly than the music, Springsteen's life has been a blue print to learn how to live, to deal with your problems and be honest with yourself. Give what you have to others as they may need help. Helping people will help you carry your troubles. 

I want to wish my hero a happy birthday tonight.

An absolutely amazing post this. 

• Like 2

As much I love Brucie (and grateful how he has enriched my life).... in absolute parallel, and equal in measure, meeting so many wonderful people along the way who share the love has been a privilege. Whether virtually thorough this wonderful site or in person, its been as important to me as anything ole Bedspring has thrown my way.

Happy Birthday to Brucie and also to us all here who love the man. Feeling totes emosh today...

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Happy 70th Birthday Bruce.

I have laughed, sang, danced and cried to the treasure trove of music you have given me over the years.

It has helped me through more than you'll ever know. 

Thank you.

• Like 4